Gawd, another R8 upgrade

Lol. JohnW, that red handled tool is called a thingamybob. Handy for just this type of job. It’s also known as a red-handled Phillips head screw driver sitting behind an aftermarket headlight switch since I’ll more than likely be going with a falcon steering column and switchgear.

Wonderful. Where do I buy one? :)

I confess to having a Holden windscreen wiper/washer switch since the 1970s, perhaps HQ but I can't remember, . It's very good actually. Turn for wipe, they self-park when you turn off but if you turn it to another position you can stop them where you want, and you push for wash. You can wash alone with a gentle push, or you can push hard and it turns and starts the wipers as well. There are limits to sensible originality if you use the car a lot.

I have Toyota "flood the screen" jets these days too. Brilliant and unobtrusive in the bonnet grill.

Thanks for the detailed description of course. :roflmao:

Hey KB, it's been a while. Anything to update us with?

Nah John, it’s a two fold case of lost interest - I lost interest in updating AF when uploading photos became too hard; and also, I pushed the car into the garage April last year when it all started getting too hard, particularly the collapsible steering column for engineering cert. I have recently been doing a few bits and pieces recently - wiring harness and engine bay work but really not too much to report.

If you find me on Facebook, my page is slightly more up to date, but not much.

Cheers
Kevin

Thanks KB.

When I really want to restore my own car but not being in a position to, I thoroughly enjoy watching the likes of you and some of the other highly talented guys on here doing up their cars stage by stage.

I'll have to stalk you on FB then :D

Yes KB, apart from that 30 mm needed to line up the bottom of the front panel the panels are a really good fit, particularly the bonnet.

The dash looks the part and that yellow is a great choice for a sporty R8 in 2018. It is all coming together nicely.

Bustamif, one day over at my place you commented on how best to fix this and I know need to contemplate this. Were you suggesting a vertical cut down the right angled edge; or horizontal along the top, or something else entirely?

KB

Bustamif, one day over at my place you commented on how best to fix this and I know need to contemplate this. Were you suggesting a vertical cut down the right angled edge; or horizontal along the top, or something else entirely?

KB

I've just realised how long I've been enjoying this thread! Hope all's well and that some enforced solitude has its rewards. :) We're enjoying it out here...

KB
Wow KB, I've had a sleep or two since then. Can you find a picture to help the memory? I would love to drive the Floride to your place for a consultation over a beer or cuppa but a photo will have to do for now.

Hi Bustamif,
I missed your post last night. Unfortunately I've misplaced my camera whilst shuffling my study around to support working from home. I'll see if I can get some shots with my iPhone today, but here's a shot posted a page or two back previously.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 219
Hi Bustamif,
I missed your post last night. Unfortunately I've misplaced my camera whilst shuffling my study around to support working from home. I'll see if I can get some shots with my iPhone today, but here's a shot posted a page or two back previously.

Hmm. I see what you mean! Why is it like that? I guess the answer to the question would provide the solution....

Hi John,

It's either that the bottom pieces were glued to the top half incorrectly; or that they have formed that way through memory during storage prior to putting it on. When I bought it secondhand off Adam Spence, I did notice that they looked an odd angle but because I wasn't ready to fit it up to a car, I didn't take much notice. They do sell the bottom pieces in EU, so worst case I could cut them off and start again.

Here's some more pics taken today.

Sample of pieces available
http://www.mcracingsa.com/28-piece-composite-rallye?q=Marques-RENAULT/Modèle+-R8

Attachments

• LHS 1.jpeg
    LHS 1.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 238
  • LHS 2.jpeg
    LHS 2.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 224
  • RHS1.jpeg
    RHS1.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 226
  • RHS 2.jpeg
    RHS 2.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 235
Hi Kevin,

I had no idea that the range of panels, doors etc was so large!

I see what you mean - that lower section is at a funny angle. As is the upper part to a degree though. Hmm. Is it amenable to deformation when hot I wonder.

Nice green car in the background....

Best of luck with it.

Lesson for others perhaps. Buy your panels as you’re ready to mount them, not for long term storage.

In my case, I bought them when I
a) had the cash from the sale of my motorbike and
b) the AUD was relatively strong so I thought buy now whilst I could

They stayed up in the rafters for a while then when the garage got destroyed ended up being stacked on shelving none of which probably did them much good. This particular panel I picked up separately as I mentioned. Unsure of its age or history.

Lesson for others perhaps. Buy your panels as you’re ready to mount them, not for long term storage.

In my case, I bought them when I
a) had the cash from the sale of my motorbike and
b) the AUD was relatively strong so I thought buy now whilst I could

They stayed up in the rafters for a while then when the garage got destroyed ended up being stacked on shelving none of which probably did them much good. This particular panel I picked up separately as I mentioned. Unsure of its age or history.

I can understand though. We've many of us come from an age where anything like this was treasure to be grabbed if and when available. I'm gradually disposing of such 'treasure' as I can when others need it and I can see I'll never, ever want it. But back then.....

Hi John,

It's either that the bottom pieces were glued to the top half incorrectly; or that they have formed that way through memory during storage prior to putting it on. When I bought it secondhand off Adam Spence, I did notice that they looked an odd angle but because I wasn't ready to fit it up to a car, I didn't take much notice. They do sell the bottom pieces in EU, so worst case I could cut them off and start again.

Here's some more pics taken today.

Sample of pieces available
http://www.mcracingsa.com/28-piece-composite-rallye?q=Marques-RENAULT/Modèle+-R8
Anybody here have experience buying from this company? Quality on parts and so on?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using aussiefrogs mobile app

R8RX,
All my panels save the front one came from there.
They’re not bad. I ended up buying two left front panels as one of the first delivery got damaged in transit (courier fault). I wasn’t there to inspect on receival so had no recourse as someone else signed on my behalf without inspecting.

I ended up with front and rear guards, bonnet, and rear “Jupe” panel from mcracingsa; and the front panel s/h from unknown origin. They are all the ones you see in my photos.

KB, the adjustment is time consuming but not too difficult in fibreglass. I recall that when I looked at your panels I crawled under the front corner to work out a solution. I'll give you a call to discuss the fix.

R8RX,
All my panels save the front one came from there.
They’re not bad. I ended up buying two left front panels as one of the first delivery got damaged in transit (courier fault). I wasn’t there to inspect on receival so had no recourse as someone else signed on my behalf without inspecting.

I ended up with front and rear guards, bonnet, and rear “Jupe” panel from mcracingsa; and the front panel s/h from unknown origin. They are all the ones you see in my photos.

I maybe have to order a set of front and rear guards. They understand English?

Did you buy the original style guards or the ones they call "MC"?

Just looked through your thread an found what guards you have.

Can you say something about how much wider these are compared to original ones? Are there other differences?

Love your work :)

Sent from my SM-J600FN using aussiefrogs mobile app

Last edited:
They are much wider. The wheels on it in the pic are 13x5.5.

They do reply in English, so have passable English via email. I’ve not spoken to them in person.
The transaction was as smooth as any other French company I’ve bought from. None of them could be accused of over communicating, but the parts duly turn up eventually. They were quite quick the second time around I recall.

I recall when trial fitting fiberglass guards that they had considerable flex in them and you really had to push them in to get the panel join line right, as they would just spring back out.
By pushing them in you will see that they tend to flare out more at the wheel arch which is a good thing if you are planning to run wider wheels.
The edge is held in place by the 3 fixings along the edge. I used some Sikaflex 229 to help keep it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 218