Gawd, another R8 upgrade

Well yes, after a 12 months stay at an engineers - impacted by Covid, LGA restrictions and other workload I finally got the car back today and brought it home. Next steps are to continue to fettle the rear panels and rear door fit; do some repairs to the roof, then sand back the front end and doors ready for base coat so I can finally get it into one colour.

Then to paint it, I’ve got to do a mist base coat over the whole car, then top coat and clear coat. Each have to be done as soon as possible after each other so I may end up painting the car 5-6 times over the one weekend- meant to be two coats each.
Can't rush these things. Does that mean it is approved for road registration?

No John, just that this mod meets the requirements for engineering approval. The place that did the work was recommended by the place doing the approval. So not there yet.

No John, just that this mod meets the requirements for engineering approval. The place that did the work was recommended by the place doing the approval. So not there yet.
Thanks. Good luck with the next stages now you have it back!

Here’s some pics of the steering column mods. Bit hard to photograph but you can maybe get an idea of bracing and mods added.

Attachments

• D085A978-ACDA-4733-A85C-38C4F52DBF68.jpeg
    D085A978-ACDA-4733-A85C-38C4F52DBF68.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 1A9CBA24-D817-4FB1-930D-709914D3F09E.jpeg
    1A9CBA24-D817-4FB1-930D-709914D3F09E.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 210
  • 2449BC4E-2F18-48A3-92B0-6DFFEF6EF7C0.jpeg
    2449BC4E-2F18-48A3-92B0-6DFFEF6EF7C0.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 43D32F38-27A5-433E-BA24-C5C7E36202D4.jpeg
    43D32F38-27A5-433E-BA24-C5C7E36202D4.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 170E0B6B-1406-4384-8FB5-94D2AE633619.jpeg
    170E0B6B-1406-4384-8FB5-94D2AE633619.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 22E827E4-5104-439C-963A-A7BF522FFB52.jpeg
    22E827E4-5104-439C-963A-A7BF522FFB52.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 213
Bustamif, the bracing in the scuttle panel I will plate if I can get it out. It is bolted in, but Terry welded a plate across it in situ the day before I picked it up so it may not come out as easily now. The dash brace I won’t bother. It is stainless, so I may just clean up where it looks a bit rusty on the surface and leave it there. It is covered up by the lower dash panel so little will be visible when finished. The A pillars I may cover anyhow with some form of trim.

Here’s some pics of the steering column mods. Bit hard to photograph but you can maybe get an idea of bracing and mods added.
Like my 4CV engineering-compliant seat belt mounts (i.e. INSURANCE compliant), that lot looks stronger that what it is bolted to! Amused comment, not a criticism I hasten to add. :)

You are correct John. The engineer was surprised by how thin the metal was - we did joke that the rest of the car will wrap around me while the steering column stays in place. I said if I ever needed the collapsibility and breakaway feature of the column, I’d have much bigger issues than just that.

You are correct John. The engineer was surprised by how thin the metal was - we did joke that the rest of the car will wrap around me while the steering column stays in place. I said if I ever needed the collapsibility and breakaway feature of the column, I’d have much bigger issues than just that.
Dead right Kevin. Don't go there please!!! :)

Like my 4CV engineering-compliant seat belt mounts (i.e. INSURANCE compliant), that lot looks stronger that what it is bolted to! Amused comment, not a criticism I hasten to add. :)
Apologies in advance for swearing but a mate of mine had an "EH Holden Premier".🙊
He fitted a bench seat and seat belts in place of the original buckets.
All engineered and complianced.
Long story short, got hit up the clacker by a drunk driver in a new Laser (it was quite a few years ago obviously) and all the engineered seat mounts tore up through the floor and he, his adult son and the bench seat all ended up in the back seat.🤷‍♂️

Apologies in advance for swearing but a mate of mine had an "EH Holden Premier".🙊
He fitted a bench seat and seat belts in place of the original buckets.
All engineered and complianced.
Long story short, got hit up the clacker by a drunk driver in a new Laser (it was quite a few years ago obviously) and all the engineered seat mounts tore up through the floor and he, his adult son and the bench seat all ended up in the back seat.🤷‍♂️
Pretty much what I expect would happen with the 4CV! In my case, the issue is insurance. In WA, and elsewhere I expect, if you fit seat belts that aren't certified as compliant, you void your insurance. If you haven't fitted them at all, your insurance is fine. Taking the view that in at least some accidents, we'd be better off WITH the belts, I had them upgraded so we have an engineering certificate and they are on some database or other. I don't think they are significantly stronger than what we did at home in 1967 but we are at least insured so can't lose the house over an accident that injures someone else.

Swearing quite OK! :)

Pretty much what I expect would happen with the 4CV! In my case, the issue is insurance. In WA, and elsewhere I expect, if you fit seat belts that aren't certified as compliant, you void your insurance. If you haven't fitted them at all, your insurance is fine. Taking the view that in at least some accidents, we'd be better off WITH the belts, I had them upgraded so we have an engineering certificate and they are on some database or other. I don't think they are significantly stronger than what we did at home in 1967 but we are at least insured so can't lose the house over an accident that injures someone else.

Swearing quite OK! :)
However, if the seat belts were fitted originally by the manufacturer or were legal at the time when they were fitted, they remain legal (and presumably insurable) today, in spite of not meeting current ADRs.

However, if the seat belts were fitted originally by the manufacturer or were legal at the time when they were fitted, they remain legal (and presumably insurable) today, in spite of not meeting current ADRs.
Correct, my 57 Studebaker has had three lap belts fitted in the front at some stage in its deep dark past. They are actually a silver coloured webbing and the car is a LHD import so I'd say they were fitted in the USA.
They passed an RACQ inspection and RWC no problem when I bought the car, even though the ADRs have never allowed lap belts in outboard seating positions.
Silly part is if they had of said they were no good, I could have completely removed them and it would passed anyway (given the car's age).🤷‍♂️

I think that is correct. That does require that the webbing is in pretty good shape though. For our 4CV, I have the new mounts and they are on the authorised fitters database.

This R8 project is now up for sale. looking for someone else keen to finish it off.

See the For Sale in the relevant area.
Sorry to see it up there for sale, someone is getting a bargain. So much time you have invested there.

KB this is for you..

Hi all,

The car is sold pending payment.

thanks to those that expressed interest. IF there are any issues with the sale, I will let those keen know.

Many Thanks

KB

No,
It is a local purchase. I won’t say any more as the buyer may want their privacy.

KB