Gawd, another R8 upgrade

Yes, I just used new fastenings of a similar nature to the originals but available from eBay, but you could drill to create the slot to put the female part of the clips in and use the original screws if you wanted to. I think they’re called speed screws or similar - just google panel screws.

That photo from R8 Dream gives you an example of a shape to aim for when doing the cut and shut on the front panel KB.

The guard and the lower panel will not always follow a perfect line if you are using fibreglass as we discussed today.

So, I've made a start. The axle stand represents the ideal panel line. Have reinforced with a tab of metal glued in with seam sealer which is setting over lunch. Then I'll put my big boy pants on and they the fibreglassing this afternoon - first time, so wish me luck!

Attachments

• panel fit 2.jpeg
    panel fit 2.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Panel fit1sml.jpeg
    Panel fit1sml.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 265
So, I've made a start. The axle stand represents the ideal panel line. Have reinforced with a tab of metal glued in with seam sealer which is setting over lunch. Then I'll put my big boy pants on and they the fibreglassing this afternoon - first time, so wish me luck!

That's interesting! It doesn't look like deformation memory from storage, does it? Still, providing it looks reasonable when assembled, I'd be happy. And you already have the concors car.... :)

Now it's a waiting game to see how it sets and turns out. I've leave it a few days at least, maybe more.

Attachments

• Progress1.jpg
    Progress1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 265
  • progress2.jpg
    progress2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 277
Curing time will be a little slow for the next two days around 22 degrees and evenings around 11. Mid to late next week will be good with temps around 25 with maybe 28 Friday. Now it looks the proper shape, just like a real one.

The good news is that the leftover resin has set solid in the bucket and brush (I’d planned for them to be disposable. I figured it was worth more in solvent to try to recover), so I must have got the ratios reasonably ok. I’ll follow Bustamif advice and leave it as he suggests though.

Try to resist the temptation to fiddle with the panel while it cures for about a week to be sure of the repair and don't bump it out of place while you are working on other bits.

You can also save on solvent if you use a cake of good old gritty solvol and nail brush to clean hands. The soap and water neutralises and dissolves the resin if you get to it before it goes off too far.

Good advice there. I’m back to work tomorrow (from home except Tuesday) so I’ll avoid the garage methinks.
I avoided any resin on my hands by using gloves but I have to say trying to get the fibres off the fingers whilst handling the mat proved impossible. My guess is you just paint them on with resin and throw away the rest - that’s certainly what I did.

I'm calling it a win. Not perfect but quite good - the front panel is not mounted straight anyway, it's slightly higher on one side.
I had to drill a new hole for the bottom of the guard - the guard shape would never have lined up with the std hole location on the front panel so it makes little difference.

Not start the fibreglassing for the other side. That will be fun as I have a 30cm gap to the side of a cupboard on that side of the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 270
That looks like a win to me. Well done. Now for more fibreglass reproductions of parts you no longer need to buy. You will probably be able to sell some bits here!

Pulled the other side off today and did some more adjustments. Ok for what it is but no where near perfect fit. The fibreglassing repairs appear to be good though. I also pulled a door off. I'll block sand and maybe do the base coat off the car one door at a time as I don't have the space to pull them off at once and paint them in one go unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 243
Pulled the other side off today and did some more adjustments. Ok for what it is but no where near perfect fit. The fibreglassing repairs appear to be good though. I also pulled a door off. I'll block sand and maybe do the base coat off the car one door at a time as I don't have the space to pull them off at once and paint them in one go unfortunately.

And I guess you won't be hiding it under a bumper.... Never mind, you'll not notice it much after a while. It's going to be great when finished.

Continuing on with my battle creating the wiring harness - I have NO idea what I'm doing, I just make it up as I go.
I soldered some switches and tested them on my test rig; then with power supply, multimeter, pad and pen set about trying to figure out the Falcon switchgear I plan to use. Obviously it won't have all the fancy 5V ECU wiring, so I needed to sort out how I can use the switchgear as simple switches for high beam, hazards, wipers etc. There's a few wires "Spare" but I seem to have all the main functions sorted.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 241
Over the last 6 months I’ve been chipping away at the wiring so not much to see, today I spent done time readjusting the rear guard fit and will do a fibreglass repair a bit like the front. The guards need to come back a bit to give a good door gap and not rub as per current.

Attachments

• 954F741A-9FFD-4DFE-8A4C-38AF33C23DFB.jpeg
    954F741A-9FFD-4DFE-8A4C-38AF33C23DFB.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 229
  • 194B95F3-CC62-47D4-A46A-97B96B45C257.jpeg
    194B95F3-CC62-47D4-A46A-97B96B45C257.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 237
Nice work :)

Can you please do me a favour? Measure the thickness of the fiberglass on one of your guards?

Need to know this because there is a max 3mm thickness regulation for me to be aware of.