Tool Talk

Well, all I can say is that I have a Karcher and a Gerni, both roughly same age and usage hours, and the Karcher has carked it already, whereas the Gerni is going fine.
The Karcher pulses constantly and has no pressure.
When it pulses, the plastic cylinder head will be cracked. Cost around $65 :(
I have fixed it by remelting the crack with a soldering iron.
Run the Karcher with all covers off and you will see where the crack is
Disassembly is easy, check out Youtube

With wheelbarrows.. I ended up getting a daytek contractors barrow....

what a rippa... after the other junk. I put 1/3rd more concrete in it than the previous barrows, yet its lighter to push. There is no sign of flexing and twisting like every other barrow I've ever used. And it rolls really easily ... And another important aspect. its pivot point isn't to low, so I don't go over the top everytime there is a small pot hole ... or variation in the ground height. Lets just hope this one lasts 20years (its already lasted longer than the last couple of wheelbarrows I've had here).

It's taken so long to get a proper contractors' barrow? You don't see concretors wasting time with home junk (and that includes the bottom of the Daytek range).

Another one that is around is Moss .http://www.mossbarrows.com.au/products.html

It's taken so long to get a proper contractors' barrow? You don't see concretors wasting time with home junk (and that includes the bottom of the Daytek range).

Another one that is around is Moss .http://www.mossbarrows.com.au/products.html
I did look into them. From memory they had to be courier as we have no local retailer. So became very expensive. I reckon they sounded better than the others.

And they are still all-Australian! There's a lot in favour of the hardwood handles.

PS It's a pity there are so few Vic retailers.

And they are still all-Australian! There's a lot in favour of the hardwood handles.

PS It's a pity there are so few Vic retailers.

I spent a while looking into it (with google). I only found Moss and Daytek as being aussie made. The reason I went daytek is you could order it in through bunnings, so delivery was "free". Without comparing them side by side I figured they would both be more than fine :)

I spoke to the only Victorian Moss retailer. They come to Warrnambool a few times each year. I am willing to wait for free delivery. Their route is Melbourne-Warrnambool-Hamilton-Horsham-Melbourne, which suggests they could deliver to Ballarat for free. But you already have your Daytek, which does look quite good.

The wooden handles on the Moss were indeed the clincher for me.

Roger

The wooden handles on the Moss were indeed the clincher for me.
there you go, didn't know you could still get 'em with wooden handles. The 40 year old Kelso garden ornament still has it's wooden handles - the wheel went rotten I think and the bucket got a bit shabby at the pouring end. The tubular stuff is a bugger, one has to plug all the holes to keep out the spiders and water and the rubber handles eventually slide off and/or rot away.
There's something about the geometry of a proper builders barrow as well, try them out at the shops, even empty there's a noticeable difference wheeling 'em about - the cheaper versions will wear you out empty !!
Forget plastic buckets, you can do 'orrible things to steel ones and they don't care....

Bob

My old Kelso wheelbarrow has a plastic tub, but it's one of the old plastic tubs which are very thick. Now has lots of scratches from all the brick and rocks, etc but no sign of any splits. With wooden handles and one of the wide rims and tyres, it will see me out. I hope.

Moss aren't cheap, but it's wonderful that these solid classics are still being made, with all the lesser import competition. Around here, it's the barrow you see with a mixer on the back of a bricky's truck, or on a concretor's.

The new Kelsos don't compare with the old ones.

Kelso, Cyclone, Trojan, etc. They all trade on their heritage, but now as parts of a single large overseas combine heritage is all they have. It's getting hard to replace the old tools.

just noticed that Kelso still have a wooden handle option... !!
tad cheaper that the same steel handled version - and the same gauge bucket as Mr Moss.... :)
Kelso, Cyclone, Trojan, etc. They all trade on their heritage, but now as parts of a single large overseas combine heritage is all they have. It's getting hard to replace the old tools.
and all likely come from China.... BUT, also likely, in lots of grades and prices to suit mugs, handy-person and tradie. You have to search and do your homework to pick the right product - I notice that the better tools in the green shed seem now to have USA written on them.

Bob

Kelso are a bit evasive regarding the country of manufacture so I think we can assume the barrow production is offshored. As part of their restructure the Australian factory property was sold off, very sad.

In the 1970's I had dealings with many companies around Sydney manufacturing for the building industries. Forges, foundries, plating, fabrication. Even then these industries were rapidly vanishing. We were already losing local production and export ability.

I visited a museum in Thailand displaying farming equipment. Around the courtyard was displayed a wide range of small stationary engines. Of the dozen or so brands half were Australian made.

The old-fashioned builders' barrow Moss is very much heavier than the new Kelso and the Daytek ones. Presumably it's in the steel rather than the handles. The factory is small, so I cannot see them as a national supplier to Bunnings and the like.

Kelso is part of the US Ames, which is part of the US Griffin Corp, a modern investment company. Don't expect old-fashioned Australian workshops.

Dunno about MUCH heavier... Both advertise 1.2mm buckets Moss appears to 30kg shipping weight, Kelso 25-26kg - I note one site suggesting that the wooden handled Kelso is only 18kg ? possibly the mass of the plastic tray version. The Moss legs are gonna be quite a bit heavier than the tube versions - and likely last longer, for ever in private use, certainly outlast the bucket.... :)
The wooden handled Kelso looks to be deliberately aimed at competing with the Moss, similar pointy bottomed bucket pressing and it has steel shock platform, like the Moss, whereas the 'ordinary tradie' Kelso has a poly shock plaform and a nicely curved bucket pressing....
Tyres could be a moot point, although the Kelso tyres here don't have to be pumped up all the time like the cheapo hand truck tyres, which could infer a better quality than the usual import.
I dare that in NSW they will stick with the local product, the rest of us make do with what we can get.... :) One has to wonder though why the independents, Mitre 10 etc, don't stock them in Victoria.

Bob

Dunno about MUCH heavier... Both advertise 1.2mm buckets Moss appears to 30kg shipping weight, Kelso 25-26kg - I note one site suggesting that the wooden handled Kelso is only 18kg ? possibly the mass of the plastic tray version. The Moss legs are gonna be quite a bit heavier than the tube versions - and likely last longer, for ever in private use, certainly outlast the bucket.... :)
The wooden handled Kelso looks to be deliberately aimed at competing with the Moss, similar pointy bottomed bucket pressing and it has steel shock platform, like the Moss, whereas the 'ordinary tradie' Kelso has a poly shock plaform and a nicely curved bucket pressing....
Tyres could be a moot point, although the Kelso tyres here don't have to be pumped up all the time like the cheapo hand truck tyres, which could infer a better quality than the usual import.
I dare that in NSW they will stick with the local product, the rest of us make do with what we can get.... :) One has to wonder though why the independents, Mitre 10 etc, don't stock them in Victoria.

Bob

I'd say Kelso does good deals with all the re-sellers to encourage them to sell there brand. I'm quite surprised bunnings don't do a "special order" deal like they do with the daytek. Possibly Moss themselves are not interested in being sold through large companies.

I think it's more likely that Moss doesn't have the factory capacity to supply huge Bunnings orders, and compared to Bunning's usual products they are expensive. You don't many contractor standard tools there. Moss are stocked by builders suppliers and landscape suppliers, both requiring heavy duty barrows of this type. I noticed looking around that landscape contractors, plus Don Burke, recommend them. I have only spotted them myself with building tradies.

The multinationals can simply pass a large order to their foreign suppliers who can handle it easily.

Daytek seems to be large enough to supply Bunnings, Home and Mitre 10. Their factory and product range is much much larger than Moss's. They say the all-steel models are locally made.

The new heavy duty Kelso doesn't match the old Australian made model I inherited. I suspect an import.

I suspect more likely Miss refuse to give Bunnings the huge discount probably demanded.
Supermarkets display the same behaviour, specially dealing with other Australian supplies like fruit and veg, milk etc.