Tool Talk

I have just been googling wheelbarrows too. My old wheelbarrow eventually rotted away (it must be 20years old) so I borrowed my parents (and broke its tub), so I purchased a cheapy at bunnings .... and punched the shovel straight through the side the first time I used it.... sigh ... that has split down the full length of it.

i figured ... bugger, lets find an aussie made barrow and get another 20years out of one. You know, it looks like only Moss and Daytek are still aussie made, so obviously no-one stocks them :rolleyes: ..... why on earth doesn't bunnings and mitre 10 stock there full range with huge AUSSIE MADE signs above them :confused:

Or try to find the screw (non hydraulic) version of that. Others make stuff like that, not only Sikes Pickavant, but similar quality is similar price.

That said, you could make yourself a puller, trick is to get some good quality steel and have it machined by a good machine shop. The legs and the beam are most important, the rest (screw/nut) is okay to replace with high tensile steel and when it fails, just replace.

I have some of these :

https://www.pro-lift-montagetechnik...40_Abzieher_2_armig_100x100mm_logo_jpg_ml.jpg

Not cheap, not top quality, okay for my use. Cast steel beam and legs. Sikes Pickavant and the like are made of perhaps O2 tool steel or similar and heat treated. All of that cost real money. If it matters, they're just as expensive in Sweden where they're made.

Avoid the three legged ones like that linked by seasink like the plague. The legs slip out, because they are articulated and there's nothing to keep them in. A beam-type does not allow the legs to move after you set the opening. You can also get a knife edge type puller but they are more restrictive because they need more room around the bearing to be pulled out. They are indispensable when there's too little clearance under the bearing to use the beam puller legs. They are excellent if you have a hydraulic floor press and all you want is to get bearings off shafts you can pull out of their assembly.

Last edited:
I have just been googling wheelbarrows too. My old wheelbarrow eventually rotted away (it must be 20years old) so I borrowed my parents (and broke its tub), so I purchased a cheapy at bunnings .... and punched the shovel straight through the side the first time I used it.... sigh ... that has split down the full length of it.

i figured ... bugger, lets find an aussie made barrow and get another 20years out of one. You know, it looks like only Moss and Daytek are still aussie made, so obviously no-one stocks them :rolleyes: ..... why on earth doesn't bunnings and mitre 10 stock there full range with huge AUSSIE MADE signs above them :confused:

G'day Shane,

yeah, we got one of those Sherlock things a long while back, it's now only used for firewood.

We settled on Kelso, but the builders model, bloody expensive of course, metal tub and really well balanced. Try 'em in the shop, walk around with 'em, I found that the cheaper ones wore you out lifting and pushing 'em with nowt in 'em !! And they flip over and slide into the ute real easy.

So now we have three Kelsos here, two active, and an ancient wooden handled version in the garden with plants in it... :) it has to be 40yrs old, replaced cos the wheel went rotten I think. Then we had two households running when we started moved to the sticks, so now in the sticks full time we pretty much have two of everything.... :)

Aaah, Kelso is now NON-greenshed product. Mitre10, is the go, where it seems most stuff is cheaper at the till than on the shelf, and you get your brownie points as well.... :)

Bob

Yes, buy your Sykes-Pickavant pullers secondhand. That's what I did.

Roger
Are there still any good secondhand tool shops about, other than the auction houses ?, there used to be a good one in Essendon years ago, but long gone, I bought several expanding reamers from there and spare cutting blades at a reasonable price. Roger your local S/H dealer site had some good stuff when we last visited, but I just didn't need the stuff on offer.

My 40-50 year old puller is a two legged Litchfield 6627 -13 (Made in Australia) and survived everything and my abuse/usage over that time and I see there is a three legged version on the internet for $120 https://www.suncitymotorcycles.com.au/litchfield-puller-6630-13-heavy-duty-vintage~132041 and that may suit Double Chevron, I was told to buy Litchfield as the best bang for my buck back in the day and it has served me well.

On the Wheelbarrows my 1970's SAXON metal topped pneumatic tyred wheel barrow was said to be the builders KELSO under its then generic name cost me all of $50 then bought as a plumbers trade sample (new) when Kelso's were $150, if you can get one of those old Saxons S/hand in good condition they could also suit, though I see that SAXON now seems a cheap Bunnings line these days

Ken

Last edited:
I still have the Kelso wheelbarrow that was a wedding present to my father from some of his mates over 60 years ago. I haven't been able to find a replacement of similar quality.

George Taylor's Store does not seem to have the range of good stuff it used to. Governments no longer seem to have the vast repositories of good stuff to auction off that they used to. George was assiduous in attending them.

Roger

Moss barrows can still be got direct from the maker in Sydney and a small number of retailers . http://mossbarrows.com.au. They will deliver for an extra fee.

I understand the Daytek range is around in Melbourne.

Anything less than a builder's barrow gets you iffy construction and possibly difficult handling.

Or try to find the screw (non hydraulic) version of that. Others make stuff like that, not only Sikes Pickavant, but similar quality is similar price.

That said, you could make yourself a puller, trick is to get some good quality steel and have it machined by a good machine shop. The legs and the beam are most important, the rest (screw/nut) is okay to replace with high tensile steel and when it fails, just replace.

I have some of these :

https://www.pro-lift-montagetechnik...40_Abzieher_2_armig_100x100mm_logo_jpg_ml.jpg

Not cheap, not top quality, okay for my use. Cast steel beam and legs. Sikes Pickavant and the like are made of perhaps O2 tool steel or similar and heat treated. All of that cost real money. If it matters, they're just as expensive in Sweden where they're made.

Avoid the three legged ones like that linked by seasink like the plague. The legs slip out, because they are articulated and there's nothing to keep them in. A beam-type does not allow the legs to move after you set the opening. You can also get a knife edge type puller but they are more restrictive because they need more room around the bearing to be pulled out. They are indispensable when there's too little clearance under the bearing to use the beam puller legs. They are excellent if you have a hydraulic floor press and all you want is to get bearings off shafts you can pull out of their assembly.
I've never seen that "I"beam type of puller before. That is a very smart design! Here's the toledo version.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153311671101

I can see the issue is where the "thing" your trying to pull maybe wider than area you pull from (ie: it can't spread its legs out and around anything in the way).

Talk about getting side tracked when I should be doing "other stuff". i've broken the winch that I use to pull non-runners up onto the ramps .... and the winch on the trailer is far to feeble to be of any use. I've been thinking I need to chase up a proper recovery winch .... a used ALDI winch or similar would be perfect (the only issue is the need for a battery for them to work).
winch2.jpg

It was quite a surprise when this popped up on facebook marketplace locally....What a beast. a decent winch that doesn't need a battery. The guy has a smaller version of it on his truck. he'd stripped this one down, had it sand blasted, paint it, replaced any bearings that need replacing ..... with the intension "onday" it would replace the one on the truck. Well oneday never came :) He did say to me "I wonder what they are worth these days new". I'm certainly glad he doesn't know how to use google!

https://www.ansco.com.au/Jarrett-Brake-Winch-15-1-1250kg-p/wb-f11650.htm

Attachments

• winch3.jpg
    winch3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 96
  • winch1.jpg
    winch1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 189
I've never seen that "I"beam type of puller before. That is a very smart design! Here's the toledo version.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153311671101

I can see the issue is where the "thing" your trying to pull maybe wider than area you pull from (ie: it can't spread its legs out and around anything in the way).

Yes, there may be situations like that, no doubt. Sometimes you can fit a knife edge type and pull it with the I beam if the knife edge has threaded holes on the periphery (most do). I even used the three legged puller around outside of the knife edge when the studs didn't reach far enough.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G8wAAOSwN55hb9Lt/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-h4AAOSwiFBhb9Lv/s-l1600.jpg

Not one puller is perfect for every situation, that is why we have a few types. I myself have a few of various types. Knife edge are very safe and I use them a lot but for a quickie job I reach for the I beam.