Tool Talk

A while ago I saw this "special" tool on Youtube and I thought it was really
thumbnail_IMG_0933.jpg
good for those who do their own automotive plumbing. To form a bead that prevents the hose from slipping off they showed a crimping tool that is slightly modified. I ordered one from Ali-Express for a mere $12 and then I cut the nose of the one jaw off with an angle grinder, remove the ratchet mechanism and see there, you have a "crox" tool to do any diameters.
thumbnail_IMG_0934.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0935.jpg

Reactions: COL
What's wrong with a Coxhead Flaring Tool Set?
Tell me more Kim. I don't know of any flaring tool that does the bead in a tube except a Crox Tool and then you have to have one for every diameter. They also call it a Swaging tool. The flaring tool for brake lines doesn't work.

I thought that the above idea is a good outcome for the price and although it will take a little longer all tube diameters could be done in this way.

The Coxhead system was designed to use flare nuts, as I recall from a long time ago, making new hydraulic brake lines for wheelbase extended trucks.

A while ago I saw this "special" tool on Youtube and I thought it was really View attachment 140108good for those who do their own automotive plumbing. To form a bead that prevents the hose from slipping off they showed a crimping tool that is slightly modified. I ordered one from Ali-Express for a mere $12 and then I cut the nose of the one jaw off with an angle grinder, remove the ratchet mechanism and see there, you have a "crox" tool to do any diameters.View attachment 140106View attachment 140107

That's got to be very soft material. Bead rollers can probalby be found cheaply these days. How do you put a bead on something like a fuel line though so it can't blow off (possibly a bubble flare tool).

We must be living in different worlds because nobody agrees and everybody wants to spend more than 12 bucks.

Yes, for a fuel line I will use my flaring tool and put a double flare on it so that the hose can go over without any sharp edges. To prove and test this crimping plier idea, I have just done a test on an old filler pipe that is mild steel and not aluminium as in the previous photos and at the same time a different diameter as well because this method doesn't care what the diameter is and it looks even better on harder metal.

thumbnail_IMG_0509.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0511.jpg

well, I liked the idea! I don't much care if there are only two of us, Frans.

But... I looked yesterday on Ali Express and a couple of other places, but couldn't find anything close the $12 you found. Do you have a link to what you bought?

well, I liked the idea! I don't much care if there are only two of us, Frans.

But... I looked yesterday on Ali Express and a couple of other places, but couldn't find anything close the $12 you found. Do you have a link to what you bought?
I had a quick look and the special on delivery is gone but here it is for $9.37 plus postage to NZ of $14.66. See what it comes to for delivery to Aus.

We must be living in different worlds because nobody agrees and everybody wants to spend more than 12 bucks.

Yes, for a fuel line I will use my flaring tool and put a double flare on it so that the hose can go over without any sharp edges. To prove and test this crimping plier idea, I have just done a test on an old filler pipe that is mild steel and not aluminium as in the previous photos and at the same time a different diameter as well because this method doesn't care what the diameter is and it looks even better on harder metal.

View attachment 140176

View attachment 140177
That will be great for making up radiator hoses, as with the bead, they won't blow apart.

So I gave in and bought another cheap shitty pressure washer. A gerni this time (as they have a 5year warranty). Initial impressions are "plastic bit of shit" as I was assembling it. I didn't bother putting the hose on the stupid looking little drum as that just looked like it was so crappy it would drive me batshit crazy. The hose connector looks incredibly frail and when I removed it to fit a hoselink connector, I found it just blew off .... they didn't use a standard tap sizing ?? ... anyway, I had a hose link converter, so I got it all hooked up and leak free ( I bought a hoselink conversion kit last week .... and I'm still blown away with how amazing it is). I give me 3 weeks before I break that shitty looking bit of plastic connector off.

All the attachments look like frail bits of plastic junk.... but there is lots of them, foam detergent dispenser, patio cleaner (the reason i'm replacing the karcher), spinning car cleaner thing .... and several lance ends.... all junk plastic lookinig things. I haven't tried it as a "pressure washer" yet but wanted to wash down the caravan. The lance end labelled with a picture of a car.... A big wide misting spray.... Not to much pressure. Perfect (I'd never use high pressure on a caravan or car). Hmm.... the soap dispenser ... it sure does soap/foam what your hosing down with quite a bit of force.... Seems about perfect.

So the chinksy looking car cleaner thing .... that I would never have dreamed of ever washing a car or caravan with. The bristles were remarkable soft... so I figured I'd try it. water just floods out of it .... no pressure at all hmmm..... the center doesn't so much spin as slowly rotate. What a junky looking thing. You know I started using it and realised its EXACTLY what you need. The center rotates slowly so it doesn't abrade the surface. it floods the area with water that isn't under any pressure to wash away any debris.

20220124_202436.jpg

20220124_202510.jpg

20220124_202520.jpg

No matter what I think or say .... Who can possibly argue with the results. Its just amazing. with a 5 year warranty, how can you go wrong? Lets hope the patio washer and pressure attachments are every bit as effective :dance:

I know there are some crusty paranoid types ( :) ) who don't like big tech using their data to send them targeted advertising, but FB stole my data and figured I would like this seller.

They sell a vast array of tools &c that boys such as frequent AF like, and better than average quality.
I've bought a number of items from them, as the FB ads which continually are put in my face just won't stop coming up with things in which I really am interested.

Frans: you can add me to the small list of people who think that tool you showed back in Jan is a top idea! Thanks.

I must be the crustiest. No ads or trackers or depositors of unwanted local storage get a look in on any of the computers here. Google stores YT interests aggressively but that can be bamboozled or made pointless with a bit of effort.

"No ads or trackers or depositors of unwanted local storage get a look in on any of the computers here"

Of that, I have no doubt!

And, please, don't anyone take offence at "I know there are some crusty paranoid types". I am just teasingly making a benign joke. Something for which it must be said, I do have form on AF.
If one person or another prefers to be cautious about the information about themselves they share with Humungous Tech, that is perfectly reasonable and fine with me, even though I really do not, personally, have any concerns.

None taken.

Everyone wants to record your activity these days, including your ISP, on behalf of government agencies (far more extensive than law enforcement).. There are ways of reducing the usefulness of this too.

Last edited:
So I gave in and bought another cheap shitty pressure washer. A gerni this time (as they have a 5year warranty). Initial impressions are "plastic bit of shit" as I was assembling it. I didn't bother putting the hose on the stupid looking little drum as that just looked like it was so crappy it would drive me batshit crazy. The hose connector looks incredibly frail and when I removed it to fit a hoselink connector, I found it just blew off .... they didn't use a standard tap sizing ?? ... anyway, I had a hose link converter, so I got it all hooked up and leak free ( I bought a hoselink conversion kit last week .... and I'm still blown away with how amazing it is). I give me 3 weeks before I break that shitty looking bit of plastic connector off.

All the attachments look like frail bits of plastic junk.... but there is lots of them, foam detergent dispenser, patio cleaner (the reason i'm replacing the karcher), spinning car cleaner thing .... and several lance ends.... all junk plastic lookinig things. I haven't tried it as a "pressure washer" yet but wanted to wash down the caravan. The lance end labelled with a picture of a car.... A big wide misting spray.... Not to much pressure. Perfect (I'd never use high pressure on a caravan or car). Hmm.... the soap dispenser ... it sure does soap/foam what your hosing down with quite a bit of force.... Seems about perfect.

So the chinksy looking car cleaner thing .... that I would never have dreamed of ever washing a car or caravan with. The bristles were remarkable soft... so I figured I'd try it. water just floods out of it .... no pressure at all hmmm..... the center doesn't so much spin as slowly rotate. What a junky looking thing. You know I started using it and realised its EXACTLY what you need. The center rotates slowly so it doesn't abrade the surface. it floods the area with water that isn't under any pressure to wash away any debris.

View attachment 140180

No matter what I think or say .... Who can possibly argue with the results. Its just amazing. with a 5 year warranty, how can you go wrong? Lets hope the patio washer and pressure attachments are every bit as effective :dance:

Similarly I have the Aldi Patio and Wall cleaner 95614 - https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-patio-and-wall-cleaner/p/097342244726500. Had it probably 4 years now.

I have it hooked up to a cheapy Gerni pressure cleaner (my Gerni didn't come with any accessories other than an extra wand end and the foam sprayer) and it works amazingly well. I've just used the patio cleaner to do a pebble crete driveway, pebble crete paths down both sides of the house, sandstone stairs, various outside pavers and concrete areas and I have to say the results are fantastic. It's internally height adjustable so you can vary it from 'lift all the small pebbles out of the pebble crete' to 'clean the pebble crete without causing too much damage'. I found the later setting quite useful.

Using just the wand and the circular fan jet up close removes too much material when used on sandstone, and is too time consuming to do a driveway with.

Cheers

Justin

at Lake Goldsmith they only use coke an air blower for fuel - but you wouldn't buy the rest of the old kit though for that price !! Although there are some old time portable forges there that are very clever in use of 'stuff lying about'.

Bob

I built this puppy from scrap primarily for melting aluminium but it gets used for all sorts of things like forging, heat treating steel, firing pottery etc. I could also use it as a BBQ but it's a bit brutal for cooking snags. I've melted cast iron and brass too. The key parts are a 1.5mm gas jet and a 30PSI regulator. A standard BBQ regulator won't cut it. The gas bottle is sitting in water to stop it freezing.

Lake Goldsmith....

DSC00391.JPG

DSC00392.JPG

blower drive still to add..... :)

Favourite hearth with the home made set ups looks to be a truck brake drum, this one is bit flasher.

Bob