The "Special Tool" thread

Spent a few hours replicating the factory tool to remove the outer cover and the main shaft of the 7 barrel hydraulic pump.
Works well and would not be practical without this tool.
Those members with Mini experience might recognise the triangular puller as a Mini flywheel puller.
roger

View attachment 47608
Nicely made Roger!

Nice one Roger. Guess what I'm going to be doing. I just happen to have (a) a Mini flywheel puller and (b) a 7cyl pump to overhaul.

I was looking at the "fill it with oil under pressure" method (which promised to be messy) and even contemplating a wooden creation, but that's a nice bit of work.

DId you turn up the aluminium plate or is that from another tool?

Alos, are the curved bits sections of pipe or bespoke creations?

Cheers, Pottsy

Nice one Roger. Guess what I'm going to be doing. I just happen to have (a) a Mini flywheel puller and (b) a 7cyl pump to overhaul.

I was looking at the "fill it with oil under pressure" method (which promised to be messy) and even contemplating a wooden creation, but that's a nice bit of work.

DId you turn up the aluminium plate or is that from another tool?

Alos, are the curved bits sections of pipe or bespoke creations?

Cheers, Pottsy

Thanks for the comments, Gerry and Pottsy.
The round plate is machined from steel and has a removable bush in the centre which is removed when pressing out the shaft from the housing.
The thin pipe section is a piece of 70mm dia x 1.9mm wall tube that was lying around. I slit it longtitudinally and reformed it to suit the cover diameter.
Pottsy, rather than make your own you are very welcome to visit my workshop and dis-assemble your pump there.
roger

Thanks very much Roger.

Unfortunately I'm not actually likely to be attempting this in the near future (still have illness in the family) but I really appreciate the offer.

That being said, a large part of my enjoyment of my hobby of tinkering with classic cars is the design and creation of the various special tools needed at times. This one really appeals, given my involvement, and predilection for, cars of the Mini persuasion as well as Citroens.

Cheers, Pottsy

Even if you have to make it yourself
:worship:

My apologies, I may have married man syndrome :D

Have seen other variants of welding tables. One that really springs to mind is one that the table surface was heavy duty woven mesh and similar with tread plate. All the welding spatter, grinding particles and general debris just fell through. These were/are trade work places but the only limitation is your imagination and what you require. Having a drop saw right there is a deity helper, so easy for rep work. Screw on a s/steel meter rule or longer and have a cutting deck. When I did hydraulics the cutting table length was 5 metres, longer hoses of larger diameter were laid out across the floor along the expansion joints to get a true measurement. My hoses were as accurate as I could make them, that's what I was paid for and sometimes it cost the customer money because they spec'd ie measured it wrong. My only problem is having power outlets on the table, I'd go for weather proof types as the grit and crappola has a harder time getting into the plug point. This 'should' lessen the chance of an electrical short. :cheers: Brendan.

What type of tool is required to un-screw the door pulls on a series 1 CX? I've been using a flat head screw driver. Where can I get one? I have a bit of work to do on two cars: door trim repairs, new speakers etc

Nice tools for starters - practical use will test....

I'd like to see that nice orderly pristine welding trolley after a few years active use on a farm, though I do understand that there are some who have the absolute knack and patience to maintain their tools and their workshops in pristine clean condition.

The only place I have really see that in practice has been in some parts of the USA, I filled in as a restoration Judge in Kankakee Illinois (four man team) and the flawless restorations were almost too pretty and perfect, afterwards one of the winners proudly showed me pictures of his restoration garage - totally air conditioned with carpet on the garage floor, and all the lifts, tools you could ever need, with the tools all sorted and stored out of sight in drawers.

Then later as a guest of another member I looked at a similar pristine woodworking "shop" in the basement of his house (common setup with the basements used as workshops in parts of the USA) with all sawdust and shavings ducted to outside receptacles. Some of his finely detailed and dovetailed cabinets inspired me to buy and early version of a dovetail jig ( I still have it and it is in pristine box) but sadly could never justify buying the equivalent setup separated from oily projects. Family came first!!

I still go to the annual wood shows and lust over the fine cabinetmaking tools on display but too late to invest, but if either of my two children decided to take up fine cabinet making, I would be active in supporting their dreams.:D

I am always surprised at the amount of good tools on sale now in Australia, some at very reasonable prices and with the internet the world of tools and tooling is at your fingertips - Just need the money!!:D

Ken:)

Thanks Shane, I actually have a set of those door trim removal tools. It just the actual screws that attach the arm rest pulls I'm having issues with. Almost an oval type screw driver shape required?

Thanks Shane, I actually have a set of those door trim removal tools. It just the actual screws that attach the arm rest pulls I'm having issues with. Almost an oval type screw driver shape required?

They should be allan key .... about 6mm from memory.

seeya,
Shane L.

Here is the screw. Has a round indentation within the oval like recess. ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1389339418.020018.jpg

Here is the screw. Has a round indentation within the oval like recess. View attachment 51739
they are a bugger to undo if they were done up tight, as shane said a small headed screw driver will do it along with swearing.one of mine was so tight i ground the sides at the tip of a large screw driver until it fitted, and when out,ground a line right
across it so next time a normal driver would fit.

That odd screw head is a "TACL" - more commonly found on Renaults. Apparently drivers are rare as the proverbial.

I'm in this thread because I'm looking for the dimensions of the suspension cylinder insert rods used to temporarily support a Dee at full suspension travel. Diameter and length.

That odd screw head is a "TACL" - more commonly found on Renaults. Apparently drivers are rare as the proverbial.

I'm in this thread because I'm looking for the dimensions of the suspension cylinder insert rods used to temporarily support a Dee at full suspension travel. Diameter and length.

My TACL driver went with the 16TS, and I do hope it is still with the car. I got it from Renault Australia if I recall correctly.