The "Special Tool" thread

Comments on cam belt change DW10ATED

Well I think I may have answered my own questions…

I trust someone will be quick to correct me where I am wrong.

The special tools needed to change the cam belt on a DW10ATED engine are:
1. A pin to lock the camshaft sprocket into the head. Nominally this is 8mm diameter but I found 7.8mm to me just nice. This needs to be about 40 mm long with some sort of grip on one end to ease removal.
2. A pin to lock the crankshaft/flywheel. Again 7.8mm works nicely. This needs to be about 200mm long with a 45 degree bend 40 mm from one end. I added a spring to allow it to be fixed in the locking hole. You do not want to lose the crank position at any point in the operation.

I did not receive comment about the correct way to set cam belt tension so I “followed my nose” and used my normal methods of setting cam belt tension. This seems to have worked for me but I would not suggest or recommend to anyone else to take my word for it. Make your own decision.

The process to change the belt was quite different to any description I found in my manuals.
Both manuals (referring to DW10ATED engine) describe an adjustable camshaft sprocket. This is a fairly common occurrence on competition engines and nothing to be scared of. In fact, it is a great idea to enable very accurate setting of the camshaft position relative to the crankshaft – this is critical to engine performance/efficiency (to within about 1 degree!)
My engine (DW10ATED, ‘03 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI) does not have an adjustable cam sprocket but does have a quasi adjustable crankshaft sprocket. While this is about the worst method I think I have seen to allow cam timing setting/adjustment I guess it works – but I think it merits special mention to make it work properly and reliably.
This adjustable crank sprocket is merely a wide key slot in the crank sprocket that allows it to rotate a bit on the keyway. I didn’t measure this but I expect it is about 4 degrees. The sprocket will lock only when the ancillary drive belt pulley is tight.
For me, this meant I was unable to check the existing cam timing accurately because I had already taken the ancillary drive pulley off before I realised what was going on.

My suggested variations to the book method of cam belt change:
1. Remove front right wheel, inner guard plastic ware, undertray etc etc. to expose the cam belt side of the engine. (I want to say “front” of the engine here but I realise this is not the place for such talk)
2. Remove the 2 top parts only of the cam belt cover to expose cam sprocket and diesel pump sprocket.
3. Insert your new flywheel locking tool into the hole behind the started motor above a cut away in the engine block casting. This cutaway is a window to the back of the flywheel and will allow you to see what you are aiming for with your locking pin. There are two small plates mounted on the back of the flywheel 180 degrees opposed. One plate is a “T” shape the other has a square shaped hole that will fit your (round) lock pin.
.‘Never rotate engine backwards’ – is a good rule to never have a belt jump a tooth and cause disaster. Rotate engine clockwise (ie normal direction of rotation) using a spanner on the crank pulley until the hole in the camshaft sprocket is at about “8 o clock” position. Insert the flywheel lock pin to lock the flywheel.
Remember, because the camshaft rotates at half the speed of the crankshaft the flywheel has 2 lock positions for every one lock position of the camshaft.
4. Try to insert the camshaft lock pin through the hole in the camshaft sprocket into the hole in the cylinder head behind. If the camshaft timing is correct both these pins will slide in at the same time.

If the camshaft lock pin will not fit. Remove the flywheel lock pin and move the crankshaft very slightly until you find the position where the camshaft pin will engage. If you had to move the crank in the direction of rotation slightly before the camshaft pin would engage this means the camshaft timing is retarded. If the camshaft pin engages before the flywheel is in the correct position to lock, the camshaft timing is advanced.

To remove the old belt follow the directions in the manuals. Take careful note of the warning to keep camshaft and flywheel locked at all times while the belt is removed.

When you have the crankshaft sprocket off, inspect it closely for excessive wear around the key slot. Significant bruising will indicate that it has not been tight and has rocked backwards and forwards. As well as wearing the key and the key slot this would also allow the camshaft timing to vary wildly while in operation and probably make a ghastly noise. Clean the mating faces of the sprocket and the ancillary drive belt pulley. Inspect the drive belt pulley and you will see that the key slot is smaller than the key slot on the crankshaft cam belt sprocket. The crankshaft sprocket is held tight only when the ancillary drive belt pulley is tight against it.

I used a small amount of Loctite between the ancillary drive belt pulley and the crankshaft cam belt sprocket faces to ensure they locked securely. If you do this, use it sparingly and only between the two pulleys. If you lock the sprocket to the crankshaft it will be very hard to remove it next time whereas the ancillary drive belt pulley has facility for a puller to aid removal.

To set the cam timing on the new belt.
1. Leave the flywheel and camshaft pinned with the locking tools, refit the lower part of the cam belt cover.
2. Refit the ancillary drive belt pulley and tighten the bolt slightly. This will lock the timing enough to allow full tension of the ancillary drive belt pulley bolt. Remove both locking pins, lock the flywheel with the appropriate tool onto the ring gear and tension ancillary drive belt pulley bolt to spec. NEVER apply significant load to the pinned & locked flywheel or camshaft.
3. Check the timing of camshaft with the new belt fitted & tensioned as above.
4. Continue with the remainder of the reassembly procedure.

Have fun,
Regards,
FarmPug

On the DW10A engines the original design was to have a fixed sprocket on the crank and a variable one on the camshaft. With this design, removing the damper from the crankshaft is just a matter of undoing the bolt, even f the engine turns over when doing this. From some time in late 2001 (I thought about November build [Build date NOT compliance date!] going by the RP number in the parts diagrams), the design changed to a fixed cam sprocket and a crank sprocket with a few degrees movement either way. If you fnd you cannot set it up, then you are out at least a tooth. With these engines, you must not simply undo the damper nut or you risk putting the timing out. The nut will have to be torqued to hold the sprocket correctly. You shouldn't need any Loctite, but it's hardly going to hurt.

The instructions probably tell you to rotate it a couple of times and refit the pins to check if it's OK. I would think most workshops would have the tension tool, but no doubt plenty of people work around this. I'd think if it flaps, it's loose!

A further point relates to the crank pulley/damper and the alternator. There are two types of crank pulley: 'Single' and 'Double' pulleys. The Double pulley is a three piece damper unit and costs at least double the cost of the single pulley. Entirely appropriately named!! If you look up the parts diagram for an early C5 HDi it may list both for the same car, but you need to choose the right one to match the alternator fitted. The Double pulley is required with an alternator with a solid pulley, whereas the single pulley would be used when the alternator has a decoupling / one-way pulley. Using a solid pulley alternator with the 'single' crank pulley/damper causes a lot of vibration and noise, most obviously at idle. You would get the same result when the alternator decoupler eventually siezes.

Thanks for the extra information.
I guess the point to my post was that all the instructions that I could find (haynes manual - Yuk I know, and something that appears to be more official. Both purchased on line) were not at all correct for the engine in this '03 406HDi which they profess to cover.

***The fact that you can lose the cam timing if you undo the crank pulley is pretty significant.***

I would still like to know why/if it is necessary to use the cam belt tension measuring tool???
I would still like a good service manual if anyone has some sufgggestions.....

FarmPug

Why here for a Pug question?

You may ask why I appear to have defected from the Peugeot area?
I have found the culture within the Citroen forum to be very different from that of the Peugeot forum. Citroen folk, to their credit, appear to be more interested enthusiasts who apply careful thought to solve problems and present solutions. I like this! - keep it up.

I would still like to know why/if it is necessary to use the cam belt tension measuring tool???
I would still like a good service manual if anyone has some sufgggestions.....
FarmPug

I think the twist test, depending on the type and free length of belt may be the go. It's a bit arbitrary I know, which is why a tool is useful.

Citroen issue mechanics handbooks (now in pdf format) annually and these contain a wealth of information in a concise format. Pug presumably does the same and that would be preferable for you. Look in the 'sticky' thread for manuals and there may still be a working link where you can find these Citroen manuals. The C5 used the DW10A engine from 2000 until early 2005, buit you would possibly find 2002 or 2003 most useful.

Re Flare Spanners from the UK eBay Shop.

Shane, Green Blood & John W, have you guys received your spanners yet? I paid for mine over a month ago, got the email confirming postage the next day but as yet have not received the spanners. I'm not panicking yet, as postage was reasonable they are probably coming slow mail (do they still use sea-mail?) but interested to know if any of you have received them as yet & how quickly they arrived.

Cheers,
Dave Rogers

Shane, Green Blood & John W, have you guys received your spanners yet? I paid for mine over a month ago, got the email confirming postage the next day but as yet have not received the spanners. I'm not panicking yet, as postage was reasonable they are probably coming slow mail (do they still use sea-mail?) but interested to know if any of you have received them as yet & how quickly they arrived.

Cheers,
Dave Rogers

Hi Dave, mine arrived within a week - super quick from the UK. Sounds like yours may be lost in the mail??

Cheers
Chris

Cheers,
Dave Rogers

Surely have. They arrived quite quickly as I recall.

Good luck.

There's the odd tool on eBay for sale here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290569983872#ht_14945wt_1141

I thought Roger Wilkinson and I were tool perves, but strewth blue....

There must be about 2 tonnes of tools there! What a collection and what an impressive bid pattern.

But you would strike the problem that plagues us all - you'd never be able to find the exact tool you need because you couldn't remember where you left it!:D

head light removal on a CX

head light removal on a CX - can be a pain, you have to turn the black plastic retainers 90 degrees (older version in white), 3 per headlight to take the housing out.
the early models have the middle one at the bottom, really fun to reach.... :(

I used a 22 mm. gas pipe, cut out 2 slots, this will hold onto the platic retainers, so you have a firm grip !
2x2 holes at the other end will hold a screwdriver for torque.
easy does it !

Attachments

• IMG_6242 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6242 (Large).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 481
head light removal on a CX - can be a pain, you have to turn the black plastic retainers 90 degrees (older version in white), 3 per headlight to take the housing out.
the early models have the middle one at the bottom, really fun to reach.... :(

I used a 22 mm. gas pipe, cut out 2 slots, this will hold onto the platic retainers, so you have a firm grip !
2x2 holes at the other end will hold a screwdriver for torque.
easy does it !

Good move!!! I think I will make one. Yes this operation is a pain. To date I have been using a pair of pliers. It is easy to slip>
Cheers Gerry:cheers:

Does anyone know where I can buy these in a shop in Melbourne? Ideally need it today...

Does anyone know what is happening at Toolworks? They are apparently closed due to storm damage and don't appear to have reopened as yet - the phone just rings out. Their website is still active and taking orders but there is no progress on orders placed.

Cheers,

Ken W

These are hex and only $25.95 from Brisbane.

I paid that much for one 9mm flare nut spanner from Repco! :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CALIIBRE-5PC...71816843?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item2562d37b8b
Brainstrust, trying to replace left hand engine mount on GS. Got the underneath bolt out, plus the bottom bolt but the top 17mm bolt is incredibly inaccessible. Socket won't fit in there (inboard disc in the way) so, lashed out on set of offset ring spanners, they don't do the job. I'm in process of replacing driveshaft so may need to take disc off. Am I missing something, or the SPECIAL TOOL ?

Hi Sparkey,

i think the factory assumption is that this will be an "engine out" job. Have you got the engine out or are you trying to do it in situ?

Regards,
Leconte

Spent a few hours replicating the factory tool to remove the outer cover and the main shaft of the 7 barrel hydraulic pump.
Works well and would not be practical without this tool.
Those members with Mini experience might recognise the triangular puller as a Mini flywheel puller.
roger

hppumppuller_1.jpg