Project Hélène has finally landed. Rejoice!

I'd be interested to know what words the French use to refer to a dicky seat..anyone?

I've been in aforementioned dicky seat and it is quite comfortable with lots of leg room. It's not that wide so I would have to acquire a couple of miniature models like the ones that Louis used in his publicity shots. I believe he just seconded girls from the office to save money.

A fine smear of Tarzan's grip across the forehead would secure most berets I reckon.

The air conditioning slot which feeds fresh air and a few mud wasps under the dash area would double as a viewing slot when planning an ambush on approaching troublesome parking officers.

IMG_8216.JPG

I took a quick look at some (well 3) old car mags I found online and a couple on my computer, and found a variety of expressions for a dicky seat.
siège de coffre,
siège occasionnel,
siège basculant,
sièges en spider,
strapontin

all showed up - mainly referring to US cars, eg the 38 Chev. I suspect spider refers to sports car seats.

It can be found left in English - dicky or rumble. The only phrase most articles used was siège de belle-mère which might lead to a quick divorce. Strapontin is a folding seat generally.

Most often I found siège de coffre, which is also used in the French Wikipedia,

You might like this article (you will like the pictures)

How on earth do you get into one without boots on the paintwork?

JohnW, briefly cause we are off topic - the diesel Landy could get to 60 mph, but ran out of oomph on the many miles long hills that were built up from the Hawkesbury River on the motorway, for example. Then it was third or even slow second gear with a blast of black exhaust smoke. If the drum brakes were in good condition the thing could stop surprisingly quickly. Unusually there were leading and trailing shoes on both axles. Engine braking was good on steep descents.

I took a quick look at some (well 3) old car mags I found online and a couple on my computer, and found a variety of expressions for a dicky seat.
trunk seat,
occasional seat,
tilting seat,
spider seats,
folding seat

all showed up - mainly referring to US cars, eg the 38 Chev. I suspect spider refers to sports car seats.

It can be found left in English - dicky or rumble. The only phrase most articles used was siège de belle-mère which might lead to a quick divorce. Strapontin is a folding seat generally.

Most often I found siège de coffre, which is also used in the French Wikipedia,

You might like this article (you will like the pictures)

How on earth do you get into one without boots on the paintwork?
Thanks for the research. The phrase siège de belle-mère (mother-in-law seat) is also used by the British. There's no way I'm calling it strapon-tin. Nope not doing it.

Boots on the paintwork is avoided by the step pads shown here but you'd need long legs.

Untictled.png

Underneath the siège de belle-mère is a nice discrete little storage area for delicate items. Would come in handy when smuggling contraband or dirty money across the Swiss border. Also under the seat is a small removable sheet metal access panel and an oiling point for the top of the transverse suspension spring. (y)

IMG_8227.JPG

If I were your beau-père I think I would enter the siège de coffre by putting my muddy clodhoppers on the driver's seat and stepping over.

A giant, sorry, géant, couldn't use those steps, let alone une belle-mère

If I were your beau-père I think I would enter the siège de coffre by putting my muddy clodhoppers on the driver's seat and stepping over.

A giant, sorry, giant, couldn't use those steps, let alone
Ah but one needs to think like a French man. To hoist small children up into the siège de belle-mère would be a sinch. Hoisting une petite dame française would be both a gallant and sure way of protecting the paint work.

Seating and interior trim.

When I launched into recreating the interior trim I relied on historic photos found on the internet for the seats and door card designs. I even counted and placed the correct number of pleats. The pleats in the seats are not really pleats, nay they are pockets sewn into the seat covers into which a strip of 20mm foam was delicately inserted with a device called a spoon (google it). The old timers used wads of cotton but I found that to be too problematic. Built into the seat back is a steel cross-brace designed to stiffen the body shell and probably offer some side impact protection at the B pillar. I have a pic of it somewhere.

The material for the seat covers is faux leather called Bison. Horse hide didn't seem to be available but I think the Bison looks the goods.

View attachment 236347View attachment 236348View attachment 236349View attachment 236350View attachment 236351
Extremely impressiver Graham.
You have inadvertently answered a question for me. That is how to fill the pockets in the upholstery. The 203 seats will require the same process. Cotton wadding looked like a horrid way to go... The 20mm foam you talk about, is that thick or wide? If wide, what thickeness did you use? So many question I know, but gee I'm impressed with your handy work.
Cheers,
Dan

Extremely impressiver Graham.
You have inadvertently answered a question for me. That is how to fill the pockets in the upholstery. The 203 seats will require the same process. Cotton wadding looked like a horrid way to go... The 20mm foam you talk about, is that thick or wide? If wide, what thickeness did you use? So many question I know, but gee I'm impressed with your handy work.
Cheers,
Dan
Hey Dan, My foam strips were 50mm wide and 20mm thick, square cut edges and nothing fancy. The foam strips are squished up between the spoons and gently inserted into the pockets. The spoons are then removed one at a time.

Seating and interior trim.

Built into the seat back is a steel cross-brace designed to stiffen the body shell and probably offer some side impact protection at the B pillar. I have a pic of it somewhere.
From down in the bowels of the roomy rear seat footwell is this pic showing part of the B pillar cross brace . The rest of it is built in between the seat back springs.

IMG_8234.JPG

Hey Dan, My foam strips were 50mm wide and 20mm thick, square cut edges and nothing fancy. The foam strips are squished up between the spoons and gently inserted into the pockets. The spoons are then removed one at a time.
Cheers Graham, I'll be doing some Google and Youtube searches on how to spoon.

JohnW, briefly cause we are off topic - the diesel Landy could get to 60 mph, but ran out of oomph on the many miles long hills that were built up from the Hawkesbury River on the motorway, for example. Then it was third or even slow second gear with a blast of black exhaust smoke. If the drum brakes were in good condition the thing could stop surprisingly quickly. Unusually there were leading and trailing shoes on both axles. Engine braking was good on steep descents.
Guilty my Lord! Yes, I drove it at nearly 60. Had to stop for a tractor that pulled out. Faded practically to nothing by the time we pulled up. They were OK for the time, in fairness.

Electrics

This is how it should look if I were to keep it 6 volt and original..🥱:yawn:

IMG_3892.JPG

But I didn't want a bar of that so I went my own way. Instead I adopted a 12 volt system complete with a 12 volt (not Bosch) alternator and front/rear indicators. For the harnesses going to all four corners I used 5 and 7 core trailer wire because it kinda matches the look of what was used originally. I used old terminal blocks and switches where ever I could. For a simple electrical system there sure was a lot of wiring but the trailer wire made it quite a lot easier.

Work behind the dash.

Three main components seen here are the 4-way fuse box (only 3 used). The twin horn relay and the big black box which contains the Scintex equivalent to brake/indicator relays. See here https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/electrickery-question.145782/

All the wiring etc works a treat.
IMG_6423.JPG

For the charging system I used a very small alternator often favoured by race car engineers because of it's small size. With a bit of black magic I managed to disguise it as a 1934 generator. It's really hard to pick but it works.

s-l1600.jpg
Untitled.png
IMG_8173.JPG

Last edited: