Project Hélène has finally landed. Rejoice!

The early diesels ran two 6V batteries
Series II and IIA LandRover diesels also ran two very large 6V batteries in series, but the few electrics - alternator, starter, lights, wipers - were all 12V. There wasn't even a cabin light. Much more than enough capacity. The wiper motor was now in the dash area and ran from a panel switch.The engine ran at 23:1 and was rather noisy. In the cabin you would have to shout. The thermostat water pump and timing chain castings were iron.

Diesel Engine 2.JPG

Last edited:
Bumpers (see prior pics)

The bumpers were straightened and sanded to remove rust and crud then sanded again, then polished with various grit until I could polish no more. I then sprayed them with rattle can clear to hold them until I get them plated. Or do them myself.

The Bumper horns with the lasange shape were available in the 1930s as aftermarket spares. The Nervasport etchings are available now in Europe but I chose to do them myself, right here at the facility.

IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG

image-36--4012e01.jpg

buik.jpg

Series II and IIA LandRover diesels also ran two very large 6V batteries in series, but the few electrics - alternator, starter, lights, wipers - were all 12V. There wasn't even a cabin light. Much more than enough capacity. The wiper motor was now in the dash area and ran from a panel switch.The engine ran at 23:1 and was rather noisy. In the cabin you would have to shout. The thermostat water pump and timing chain castings were iron.

View attachment 236238
I remember driving a Series II LWB diesel. Not quiet... I do recall how hard it was to stop from 50+ mph. Not that it was much over 50, mind you. Great photo.

Seating and interior trim.

When I launched into recreating the interior trim I relied on historic photos found on the internet for the seats and door card designs. I even counted and placed the correct number of pleats. The pleats in the seats are not really pleats, nay they are pockets sewn into the seat covers into which a strip of 20mm foam was delicately inserted with a device called a spoon (google it). The old timers used wads of cotton but I found that to be too problematic. Built into the seat back is a steel cross-brace designed to stiffen the body shell and probably offer some side impact protection at the B pillar. I have a pic of it somewhere.

The material for the seat covers is faux leather called Bison. Horse hide didn't seem to be available but I think the Bison looks the goods.

IMG_8193.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8206.JPG
IMG_8182.JPG