Project Hélène has finally landed. Rejoice!

For the charging system I used a very small alternator often favoured by race car engineers because of it's small size. With a bit of black magic I managed to disguise it as a 1934 generator. It's really hard to pick but it works.

View attachment 236561View attachment 236562
There are alternators available that look like the old fashioned dynamos, but having said that, I do like your solution.

Underneath the siège de belle-mère is a nice discrete little storage area for delicate items. Would come in handy when smuggling contraband or dirty money across the Swiss border. Also under the seat is a small removable sheet metal access panel and an oiling point for the top of the transverse suspension spring. (y)

View attachment 236391
Surely this is the access point for the rear straight 8 , installed to allow eligibility for Gilgandra?

Note the long tail - could hide anything there

Andrew

...there is no room left because there is a 73 ltr fuel tank in the back. I guess I should ask the big honcho if I'd be allowed to attend.

I suppose I could fit a rear luggage rack and strap down a borrowed 4CV to qualify

Last edited:
réservoir d'essence
It was necessary to replace the fuel tank but rather than try and get an exact replacement I decided to make a new one. There's nothing to it really, it's just sheet metal work. I made locking seams which I riveted in place with solid steel rivets before soldering the seams to make it fuel tight. Of course it still leaked a little so I seam sealed it from inside the tank with liquid epoxy. That did the job nicely. It's a 73 litre tank made from 1.15 zincaneal. I modified the existing mounting cradle to suit.

IMG_3835.JPG
IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3937a.jpg
IMG_3993.JPG

Note I had to make an access panel to facilitate epoxy seam sealing. Doh!

IMG_7095a.jpg

Last edited:
réservoir d'essence
It was necessary to replace the fuel tank but rather than try and get an exact replacement I decided to make a new one. There's nothing to it really, it's just sheet metal work. I made locking seams which I riveted in place with solid steel rivets before soldering the seams to make it fuel tight. Of course it still leaked a little so I seam sealed it from inside the tank with liquid epoxy. That did the job nicely. It's a 73 litre tank made from 1.15 zincaneal. I modified the existing mounting cradle to suit.

View attachment 236622View attachment 236623View attachment 236624View attachment 236625

Note I had to make an access panel to facilitate epoxy seam sealing. Doh!

View attachment 236626
Nothing you do, suprises me anymore! You are a Wizard...

Among my list of unfinished jobs is the installation of the soft top rag which is a job I find very challenging. I've had practice at this in the past but that doesn't make it any easier. If the cover isn't just right it can look like the pox. Making it look factory is a job for a master trimmer, a category in which I do not have a place. But still I persist. That will be a job to last a few days no doubt.

IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8260.JPG