michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

I am hoping to get an M permit. The car was going to be on display at the AGP but it seems that it needs rego or a club or rally permit neither of which it will have before then.
Does the GTi6 ECU have a road speed input?

I too would like to get onto Club M plates, in preference to the more restrictive rally rego. The main issue I foresee is that my roll cage impedes entry and exit because it is more than 140mm from the bottom of the seat.
But that's my reading of the scenario, once I get everything roadworthy, I will take it to a 'friendly' RWC guy to see what they think.

In regards to the speed sender, it has never worked since i installed the gearbox, thinking it might not have the right set of adapters to turn the sender (either the driveshaft or the gears attached to the sender) lucky my spare boxes should have those parts. As a result, I have a huge flat spot down low in the rev range, but I don't really want to be there anyway.

Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed it does, so I need to use the 306 s16 sender, which incorporates the 3 pin output to the ecu, and also the mechanical cable for the instrument cluster.
Would you be able to get an unregistered vehicle permit with special conditions, like you would for a rally car? I would have thought they could treat it like that. Or even trailer it in? It's not public land during that time, so not all vehicles require registration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not many of the cars racing would be registered!!
I'm going to contact them.
So, my 405 S2 Mi16 would have the same sensor I guess.

I'm not sure exactly which cars do and don't have them. I need to test mine, make sure the sender itself is ok, then make sure the gearbox internals are spinning as required.
If I can't get it to work, I really need a GPS speedometer for rallying.

Not C5, those are really alloy.
The wheels are from a Berlingo, came with the car from Cameron, hope the Chinese tyres work OK.
I'm also hoping my Michelin XM2s are OK, a lot of understeering in this car (stock Si, not Camerons old car) at Bagshot last year, but I have fresh tyres this time and I will be fitting Koni yellows on the rear this afternoon I have a collection of these gathered in the last few months from things I have bought!
To be safe I'll take along a pair of Mi16 wheels and tyres, this fixed the problem at Bagshot.
My rally 205 is on the hoist waiting for a rear hub to arrive from the UK, you can't just replace the bearings in GTI 6 hubs!!

Time for a quick update.

Ran out of time/luck/patience etc to get the car ready for Pakenham VCAS, so I ran in Graham's 205 SI, and were very competitive first time out in that car (until I took 2 flags in the first run anyway). Thanks again Graham!
Getting the 205 sorted now, so all the trims are back on the car, the front and rear valances have been painted (and came out better than the rest of the paintwork :( live and learn!)
Went to tackle the front spring installation, remove the front ARB, and reset the rear ride height. What should have been 5-6 hours easy going, ended up as 11 hours of torture, as I made a few schoolboy errors:
1. Couldn't get the top piston bolt off the shock absorber. Many tools, levers, vices later, got there eventually.
2. Putting the shock back in, couldn't get the angle right for the hub carrier. Thought 'just undo the lower balljoint' and that lead to the driveshaft coming out of the gearbox, leaking oil over the floor. With oil lost, I cut my losses, and replaced the driveshafts as well, as mine had splits in the boots, and have been split for years, so they will need refurbishing.
3. Measured the ride height once front springs were in. Front was 330mm from hub carrier to top of arch, rear was 350mm.
Using a very basic rule of 3mm height for 1mm bar length, I shortened the dummy shock from 312mm to 300mm.
The pictures tell the story, but once back on the ground, a measurement of 295 was never going to cut it. :(

So back at work today for a rest, will need to have another go at setting the ride height, aiming for around 320mm.
Then just a fluid check, nut and bolt check, some protection for the lower sills to be organised, and it will be ready for this Sunday at Deniliquin VCAS event. Road tyres only event, and even though Graham Wallis had lent me a set of soft road tyres on C5 steelies, I cannot use them because I now run wheel studs, not wheel bolts.

Anyway, more pictures.
View attachment 93595View attachment 93596View attachment 93597View attachment 93598View attachment 93599

Small update. The VCAS event was a good shakedown, and brought out the rear brake issue that I had last July when I took it off the road. The lower ride height (330mm front and 320mm rear) made the rear brake compensator value useless, causing the rear brakes to lock at every corner, which made for great viewing.

https://youtu.be/44ldY27e6v8 for anyone interested.

Now it's time to get it rally ready. So the LED light strips are installed throughout the car, and the map light, wired up the cut off switches, and push button start, changed oil, installed oil pressure warning switch, fitted toolbox and spare wheel holders. Got a terraphone to install in the next few days, then it's time to finalise all the wiring, get the front suspension height improved a little, and if I'm lucky, my 'special delivery' will be here before the rally.

Finally, to cure the brake issue, I will install a decent adjustable brake proportioning valve, and install the 205 disc rear end I have on my spare car, and replace all flexible hoses with braided lines, which are on their way now.

And if I'm lucky, I will have it finished with enough time for a test day before the race on April first.

Only thing I don't have is a set of rear tail lights because my dad unfortunately backed into the rear of the car, and cracked the lense of my series One lights.
So either a set of series one lenses, or any other series that has no reverse light, if anyone has that, please let me know.

Thanks,

Actually I only need 1 of the rear lenses, I just can't remember which one is damaged and which one is fine.

I've definitely got a few late rear lights complete. Might have an early lens but I doubt it, will check tomorrow.

From deni? I have a few videos, will see if they work. Otherwise I will put the videos somewhere else and link them.

Only photos I have from the event are below.

420631a9344518898ff4ac743a03b2f7.jpg

b155ea04fb91bc2850281305d3c7d398.jpg

Small update. The VCAS event was a good shakedown, and brought out the rear brake issue that I had last July when I took it off the road. The lower ride height (330mm front and 320mm rear) made the rear brake compensator value useless, causing the rear brakes to lock at every corner, which made for great viewing.

https://youtu.be/44ldY27e6v8 for anyone interested.

Now it's time to get it rally ready. So the LED light strips are installed throughout the car, and the map light, wired up the cut off switches, and push button start, changed oil, installed oil pressure warning switch, fitted toolbox and spare wheel holders. Got a terraphone to install in the next few days, then it's time to finalise all the wiring, get the front suspension height improved a little, and if I'm lucky, my 'special delivery' will be here before the rally.

Finally, to cure the brake issue, I will install a decent adjustable brake proportioning valve, and install the 205 disc rear end I have on my spare car, and replace all flexible hoses with braided lines, which are on their way now.

And if I'm lucky, I will have it finished with enough time for a test day before the race on April first.

Only thing I don't have is a set of rear tail lights because my dad unfortunately backed into the rear of the car, and cracked the lense of my series One lights.
So either a set of series one lenses, or any other series that has no reverse light, if anyone has that, please let me know.

Thanks,

I've got some rear lenses

Thanks Chris,
To confirm, I need the rear lenses like this, with the reverse light, or the entire rear lenses and brake light assembly if it's the other kind

7ea21963f811922ea67f44e198b0671e.jpg

Yep, someone is hoping to retire on selling French car parts. Hope they haven't given up their day job

Need the lenses before the next rally which is April 1, so would I be able to pick them up from you somewhere?