michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

OK, it was worth a try!
How many daylight runs do you think we will get on Saturday?
My Mi16 needs a serious amount of headlight upgrade.
100 watt globes in the high beam only reflectors and relays for starters.

It's now in the silver 205 graham, and I am in the process of putting a series 2 seats into it, trying to tidy it up to the standard of your silver 205.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you able to bring the driveshafts up Saturday? I thought your silver 205 had a working glovebox.

I have whatever is in my red car but I doubt it would have what you want.
The silver car has everything but of course I want to keep all the bits for that.

But if you have a surround that holds the glovebox, and not the lid, I would be happy to exchange.

Just because I'm curious, apart from the front plate why cannot the series 2 or 3 glovebox not be used?

Thanks graham, I will try to get the glovebox back out, I think your car will be better suited to it than mine. Will bring it up in exchange for the shafts. What are you competing in this weekend?

Mine has one, just like to improve it slightly.
How hard are they to remove, maybe we could swap?

Thanks graham, I will try to get the glovebox back out, I think your car will be better suited to it than mine. Will bring it up in exchange for the shafts. What are you competing in this weekend?

That's what I am hoping.

Pretty easy to remove, lots of screws and a few clips, but not too many if it's anything like the series 2 glovebox I removed last week. Either way I will get mine out, if you want to try to do the same we can work on the basis of a swap.

Well the 205 had its first shakedown and didn't dissapoint.
10532540_10205707174491011_5371731003375703034_n.jpg11210506_10205707174771018_4737633214578658425_n.jpg
Car ready to go, received its first (and maybe its last) wash.

Ended up finishing 3rd in Class E, 14th outright with 66 entries, so certainly a PB for me.
The car performed really well in the wetter conditions, plenty of grip. The looser dirt still needs some work.
Little bit of scrub while cornering on all sides, so the stiffer torsion bars, rear ARB and front springs should help that out.

Got a bit of footage too, just trying to crop it, then I will upload it to Youtube and link it.

Had the car out again in July, and with a bit more confidence, got up to 10th overall, 3rd in class. Very competitive class, being lead by a v6 Mazda Astina, a Mitsubishi FTO and previously a Renault Clio.

See pictures below, but still needs a little suspension works.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438136971.433894.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438136986.173919.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438136998.899935.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good going.:)

Would be good to see another red 205 at the Australian Motorkhana Nationals this September (seeing they are in Victoria). Maybe some of the other Victorian Motorkhana 205s might enter (?). :confused:

Missed out auto crossing in August, got an offer of overtime too good to refuse. Now getting it ready for its few Tarmac events this year, club hill climb at Bryant park in a few weeks, so need to quieter the exhaust a bit, fit the semi slicks, and maybe think about fitting the new wishbone bushes.

On the near horizon is a weekend at Bathurst at the end of November (super sprint and hill climb over 2 days), then Winton track day mid December, so hoping to fit the re-furnished beam from my silver 205, added benefit of disc rear end, with the new solid bushes.

Then I need to turn my hand to suspension. Don't suppose anyone has a set of 21mm torsion bars (heat treated), that they would be willing to part with...

Ran the 205 at Bryant Park a few weekends ago. Car made great power, and was winning class until the extreme heat from the exhaust extractors caused the brake fluid to boil. Without decent bite in the brakes, I couldn't catch up again and finished mid field. The smart answer is to treat the exhaust to keep the heat in (jet hot coat or ceramic coat), but as I'm sure you are all aware, there is to room to get the exhaust manifold off, without engine removal. Not happening until something breaks, so I will put in some heat shields instead, and maybe a scoop if required.

Unfortunately, with these issues I chose to pull out of the Bathurst events (for this year anyway), and will focus on the 2 auto cross events and Winton track day, before a few months off the road over Christmas.

That's a pity. You could try wrapping the part of the extractors that is on the side of the brake fluid reservoir? Might be able to get to some of them in situ?

does racing brake fluid make any difference? i just checked specs, 300degC boiling point as opposed to ~200

You said it mate. The engine definitely needs to come out - having said that, I had my gti6 headers ceramic coated in black and while I don't have a basis for comparison the engine bay temps, firewall specifically, seem to be OK for everyday spirited driving.

Perhaps wait until a few things need to be done in an engine out situation, or at least made easier with it out.

I used the original 306 GTI6 heat shield when I did the conversion years ago. Had to slightly cut it to fit, but that might be an option without removing engine:

Did a few track days without issue. Never raced though.

Cheers
Ben

Thanks Ben, I planned to recreate something similar, but a bit more coverage of the fuel and brake systems top left.

Been autocross ing the 205 at our regular club events, finished 7th overall and 2nd in class last month.

This month, finally achieved a 1st in class, and 5th overall. Starting to get my head around this car's strengths, and provided I focus on the right lines, the car is every bit as quick as the turbo 4wd cars I was beating.

Which makes it hard to justify all the suspension I want to upgrade, and the brakes etc.