michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

Where did your torsion bars come from? I got mine from the UK and the quality was beautiful. Do the 20mm units fit through the arms or do you have to disassemble the beam to fit them?

Just a reminder to bring the brakes on Wednesday Michael.

Spend the last 4 days at the Grand Prix, so to have a nice quiet day to recover, I spent all day wrenching over the car getting all the final items sorted.

Fitted the 20mm torsion bars, and I had the same issues as everyone else using this manufacturer, in that the splines weren't great, and didn't line up without a decent amount of grunt work. I truly dread removing them again. Fitted 2nd fire extinguisher, driving lights, wiring for driver and navigator power windows, and had a friend fabricate navigator footrest, battery box and install an adjustable brake proportioning valve to allow some adjustment, hopefully to quell the rear brake issues.

Scrutiny for my first rally is on this Wednesday, and I hope to scrape through, because I've been told today that 3 weeks wasn't long enough to make custom springs locally, and have them shipped to Melbourne. Didn't seem to be a tight deadline when the torsion bars could be made and shipped 1/2 way across the world in the same timeframe. Unlikely to have the front springs fitted, so we will be a back marker this rally, just aiming to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did your torsion bars come from? I got mine from the UK and the quality was beautiful. Do the 20mm units fit through the arms or do you have to disassemble the beam to fit them?

Mine were made by torsion performance. They were all painted up, and the splines wouldn't go in freely, so I had to sand off the paint around the splines for the to have any chance. Even then, getting 1 end in was difficult, getting both ends to line up was nearly impossible. Lots of bashing with the large mallet to get it back in.

Thanks graham, I will bring the 206 gti calipers, discs, and pads, so if they are any good, feel free to keep them all. I have your tyres as well, I can bring them this weekend if you have room to take them home, otherwise I can drop them at your place.

With the George Woods Intro Rally now run and won, time for an update.
We passed scrutiny, then set about installing the new front springs, in the hope that a bit of extra clearance would help avoid any clashes between Sump Guard and Terra Firma.
Took Friday off work, to be able to get the window tint removed, finish the last few wiring jobs like navigator maplight, reverse light(where rear fog light was), clean and load the car.

Got to the event nice and early, and upon our comms/helda check, noticed that the passenger side power window wasn't working. Quick trace of the wiring found a severed Earth lead, which must have been a casualty of my wiring work the day before. Lucky I had an Earth spare nearby, and all back to normal.
I completed the navigations, wrote down all the items that I needed said and when, and after a drivers briefing, we set out for 40kms transport, before our first stage.
Last 20kms of transport was gravel road, so I started gently, but progressed to faster speeds, just to see what the car could do, and that all was well. With that out of the way, we started the first competitive, a short 11km sprint, and the car ran really well, with excellent grip and good ground clearance.
No transport and straight into competitive 2, another 18km stage, with a nice spectator point thrown in for good measure. Just before leaving, we noticed a fuel smell, but no obvious leaks, but it was obvious that with the navigators window down at controls, the smell was entering the car.
That, and my navigator's inexperience meant that she felt a bit queasy about 4km before the end of the stage, and in the hope of salvaging the marriage, we pulled over, let her recover, and by that time, retired from the event.
I'm disappointed that after all this work to get the car ready over the last 4 months, we only got about 20kms competitive into the event, but by not pushing on, my wife has agreed to give navigating another go at the next event, Steve Richards Memorial Rally, on May 20th. She will be using some travel sickness tablets, and it's now my job to stop that smell entering the car.

Put the car up on the hoist last night to check that all was well, and noticed that the bolt that holds the rear ARB end plate in place had become dislodged, as to say it's now part of the forest somewhere. Will locktite these in for next time, but apart from the fuel issue, we shouldn't change too much before the next event.

And now, time for some photos.

IMG_0956.jpgIMG_0958.jpgIMG_0961.jpgGeorgeWoods2.jpgGeorgeWoods1.jpg

Must be time for an update.

Entered the Steve Richards Memorial Rally, but didn't even make it to the event. Filled up the fuel tank to the top and left home, and noticed a significant fuel trail on the trailer when I pulled over a few times. Took it to a friends place to check it on a hoist, and filled it with 6 litres of fuel (remember it was already full) before it overflowed like a water fountain from both sides of the tank. No event for us :( but we took the tank out and found the culprit. 10mm hole in the top of the tank, corresponding from a rivnut that was installed above. Fixed the hole, and at least it shouldn't happen again!

I cleaned the car and had a log book scrutineer assess the car for CAMS log book. With that completed, they then informed me that what was fine in 2015 was now not relevant in 2017, and with the help of another fabricator friend, had to install a V in the rear stays, so that the point would match the point in the roof crosses above driver and navigator. Also needed a harness mounting bar, to improve the mount angle for when HANS devices will be mandatory. While it was in for a quick spruce up with the extra bars, they also fitted strengthening gussets from the cage to the A and B pillar which should really add to the strength of the car as a whole.

In the meantime, I competed in a few autocross events with pretty good results. 3rd outright and fastest 2wd at Ballarat VCAS, and 7th outright and 2nd fastest 2wd (both days) at Swan Hill VCAS and their own club day. Haven't driven it since early June now, but I'm in the process of getting it ready for the Spring 200 Anglia Intro Rally on 16th September in Marysville. Been working with some HDPE sheeting and a rivnut gun (and the help of a good friend again) to fabricate some underbody protection for the fuel lines, brake lines, rear suspension and sills. Another solid weekend of work, and then just a tidyup of the outstanding items from last event, and it should be ready.
And to ready the navigator, I bought a pack of Quills and with the fuel leak fixed, we hopefully will finish our first rally :)

Time to find some pictures.
SwanHillVCAS1.jpgBallaratVCAS1.jpgBallaratVCAS2.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1117.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1257.jpgIMG_1259.jpg

So did you figure out how did the rivnut manage to come down and punch through the tank?

2 schools of thought. 1st is that it was drilled through, and when the rivnut was inserted, it blocked it most of the time, only leaking fuel when tank was completely full (not very often for a race car)

2nd thought is that the guy who installed it was certain he didn't drill through it, but possibly a hit to the fuel tank and a bit of wear in that are contributed to the Ric but wearing through the tank.

Either way is plausible, but it now has a bolt through it, with nylon washers and epoxy dealer so while it is a high spot on the tank, it is also well protected.

Will be protecting the tank further with the underbody protection coming together over the next few weekends

Hmmm.

Nasty, anyway.

Looks like a fair distance to cover for the two to come together. I was wondering why a rivnut was used there in the first place. Looks like a bad idea, but I suppose it was the easy option.

Is that the chassis beam that goes across the chassis bottom just above the tank?

It only looks like that in the picture because I've got the tank 90% dropped to take that photo. If you look at the roll cage photos that were attached, it follows the contour of where the rear seats would have been, holding the battery cables.

Maybe you should have talked directly to CAMS, mine was approved by the CAMS office (via photos) with cross braces in the main hoop only. I don't know if too many of these experts read the regs properly.

They were the ones that contacted me and advised they wouldn't pass it unless I did both the Harness points and the rear stays. Tried to argue out of it, wasn't worth the time to be honest. It's done now, so I won't need to do it again any time soon.

Very inconsistent.
On this line if anyone tells me I need roof bars (regs say I don't) the car can go to Sims, I would be finished, the idea of sitting on the floor to drive a car doesn't appeal.
The 309 is once again going, with a stock D6C spec engine and throttle bodies, will be at the PCCV meeting tomorrow evening, I will be driving it there with RP plates, see if I get pulled over for not being in an actual rally I suppose?

Has the Spring 200 Anglia Memorial rally a few weeks ago (16th September) and I'm glad to say we got through the event. No sickness from the navigator and the car back onto the trailer in 1 piece. Initial results had us placed 8th out of 11, but was revised to put us joint 1st a few days later. Surprised was an understatement, as I felt a few areas still need a bit of improvement, namely the lighting setup, brakes etc.

Achieved my goal for 2017, so it's time to put the car back in the shed and get it prepared for rallying in 2018.

Big thanks to everyone who helped prepare the car this year, a big step up from Autocross spec to rally spec, and more to come.

a8264e2974b3c1d0d1185b6d50752b92.jpg
a7e0adeb67c51a5289d2f2c45577a276.jpg
5bf69e8e3cee8f650e19fa386bcfd623.jpg

Can’t believe I haven’t updated this in the last 11 months.
Haven’t been lucky enough to get rallying, due to the George Woods Intro rally getting postponed due to total fire ban, then clashing with the F1 GP.
Done a few Autocross events, including Pakenham, Ballarat, Swan Hill, and last week, Kyneton VCAS, in a friends 206 RC. Apart from the lack of brakes, the 206 RC feels every bit as quick as the 205, if maybe a little more numb and less lively to race.

Anyway, after being a 1 car 205 owner for the last few years, I really missed just driving a 205 on standard roads, and with the price of a nice 205 GTi skyrocketing, I instead bought a 205 Si and have put it on Club Permit.

At the moment, I have signed on to compete in the HRA Autocross Tour, being held 29th and 30th September, and organised by Clerk Of Course, Graham Wallis. Only question remains, which 205 should I take?

7d377c49f741a22b23c3751c65654c77.jpg
d16fcc54d80e0134463cfb6f95808d6e.jpg

948c160692ef3e36fff68e7f258f7997.jpg

Time to sell the car (and trailer, for anyone interested)

Thanks,
Michael