michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

Also while I'm at it, for those who have gravel rallied their 205, what front height are you set to, to avoid the sump guard taking half the track with it? Mine measured 330mm from centre of wheel to top of arch, and I'm not too confident it's high enough.

Spoke to Peter lloyd rallying in the UK, and its £150 for purchase and postage of their 160lb gravel springs.
Trying to see if a custom set would be cheaper, or quicker.

Or just run what I have, and see how I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon your car is too low, those springs sat on the low side my car with strut tower reinforcement plates UNDER the top of the towers and a lighter engine. Good for Autocross, but not so much for rallying.
Standard GTi height would be OK, perhaps a little higher for rough events.
Talking to Andy Baker who actually designed these 160 lb springs that Peter Lloyd is selling, he said they were designed for the 1.4 Challenge cars, the XU powered cars should have harder and higher springs to counter the extra weight.

Spoke to Peter lloyd rallying in the UK, and its £150 for purchase and postage of their 160lb gravel springs.
Trying to see if a custom set would be cheaper, or quicker.

Very expensive. I've had a couple of sets made by Allsprings in Moorebank. They were $90 per pair. Given it was a few years ago they may have gone up slightly.

Thanks Peter, still get 2 sets and postage for less than the uk equivalent. Will get as much data as I can, and give them a call Monday to get something sorted.

Regarding the uk springs £70 purchase and £70 freight is the killer. Nearly as bad as the freight on my special surprise, hope it gets here in time.
But that freight was nearly £120

My experience with Allsprings was all together different to Peters. One spring completely collapsed after a couple of track days.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 233
From the same manufacturer? Have you had any custom springs made in Victoria?

I think just get your 185lb Kings Springs reset 30 mm higher.
Top Performance (Koni) can organise this through Kings, not sure if Kings deals direct with the public.

This fills me with minimal confidence in any of the chosen products.

Can springs be reset higher? Never heard of that, heard of reset lower though, I guess it's just the reverse process.

Yes, heat, stretch and retemper. Must be done correctly though.
I have had very good experience with Kings, the coil overs on the 205 have not sagged at all after two Classic Outback Trials and many other events..

Can springs be reset higher? Never heard of that, heard of reset lower though, I guess it's just the reverse process.

Will get these out today then, and get them reset as soon as can be enabled. Aim for 30mm higher than they currently are, which should be more like standard.

Maybe measure the height of your car, bottom of the front jacking area (side sill) to the ground and I'll compare with my cars to get and idea of how much increase is needed?

Ok front height with no one in it, is 185mm from floor to the top of the jacking point, see photo.

b4769d7636bc00990c5917ee7ca83362.jpg

New front springs ordered, to add another 50mm to the height of the front. More expensive than buying the UK springs unfortunately, but at least it's made in Australia, so easy to customise should the need arise. Braided brake hoses came in from the UK as well, so they will go on in the next week or so.
I've also made decent progress with getting most of the electrical items sorted, mounted the terraphone, finished mounting the centre console, got the reverse light wiring working (just needs new bulbs)

Tried to get the speedometer working by itself, and disconnecting the 3 pin ECU plug to the sender made it idle poorly, so I'm not sure whether it's working or not, further works required.
Ordered brake proportioning valve, so will get that fitted next week, then it's just a case of finalising a few finer points, hopefully a day of testing and it should be ready to rally.

More photos hopefully tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed, more photos tonight, and my special package was in the mail today. Been planning on these for a few years, looking forward to seeing the results.

561f4478d4058e7c4645286d6050a21a.jpg

cd3c86df3ece72fc25fea8e86dab78be.jpg

f25bd486a6e3582ba055964e573486ff.jpg

Spend the last 4 days at the Grand Prix, so to have a nice quiet day to recover, I spent all day wrenching over the car getting all the final items sorted.

Fitted the 20mm torsion bars, and I had the same issues as everyone else using this manufacturer, in that the splines weren't great, and didn't line up without a decent amount of grunt work. I truly dread removing them again. Fitted 2nd fire extinguisher, driving lights, wiring for driver and navigator power windows, and had a friend fabricate navigator footrest, battery box and install an adjustable brake proportioning valve to allow some adjustment, hopefully to quell the rear brake issues.

Scrutiny for my first rally is on this Wednesday, and I hope to scrape through, because I've been told today that 3 weeks wasn't long enough to make custom springs locally, and have them shipped to Melbourne. Didn't seem to be a tight deadline when the torsion bars could be made and shipped 1/2 way across the world in the same timeframe. Unlikely to have the front springs fitted, so we will be a back marker this rally, just aiming to finish.