michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

michael_ozzie

Fellow Frogger
Hello All,

I thought it would be a good time to start a build threaded, so that I can document what it takes me to get the 306 GTi6 into a 205 GTi.

But to start from the beginning, I first got the itch to compete in motorsport, after spending 40,000kms and 3 hours every day commuting to and from work. I have always enjoyed motorsport, but I needed something cheap to compete in, where unmodified cars could compete and be competitive.
And so I found Autocross.

I started off with a $300 1986 Nissan Pintara (and paid an extra $50 for a CD player), and found that as much as i enjoyed being on the track, that the Pintara didn't really have the "racing qualities" I was looking for.

At this time, a new starter at my former employer heard that I had started competing in events, similar to rally, but much shorter. He then volunteered his Peugeot 205 GTi, and I admit that I had to google what a 205 was, and what its rally credentials were. Sure enough, it didn't take long to say yes.

First I saw of it was a test drive he set up. Brakes felt poor, old tyres with very low pressure made the steering even heavier than normal. I remember getting inside it for the first time, thinking that I could touch every corner from the front seat, and that it was so very responsive.

Once it was back home, I set about bleeding the brakes, many, many times. Curse of the drum brakes.
Replaced the tyres with a cheap set, but at least they were new and all the same brand.
Took it back to my home Autocross track, finished second in class for the day. Start of many happy days racing.

I have been racing this 205 for over a year now, and while it is certainly competitive, the next step for this car, is a combination of many steps. I can attribute these steps to a track day at Winton in December. Our car club had it's own class, and when the 205 had clean air, it showed me that I needed to take this car to the next level.

After much debate with my wife (please can I...), the plan for the car now is:
  • Roll cage, stripped out interior
  • Car trailer, and as a result
  • Tow vehicle for trailer.

While the above improvements would be a great start to a well tracked 205, the thought of more power always crossed my mind. Spending hours over build threads both here and 205driversforum.com swayed my opinion, and as a result, I found and purchased a 306 GTi6 this week from Pickles auctions.

The 306 was damaged only in the front corner, but the careless tow truck driver damaged the sump, which leads me to my first modification, removing the sump and having the hole repaired.
Once that is completed, and I can actually get the 306 running, then the cam belt, water pump, etc will be replaced, and the modifications to the 306 can begin for its new home in the 205.

Will post pictures as I go, and most likely ask 100's of questions. But the ultimate aim is the 2l modified class for Autocross, and the best outright times that come as a result.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this,

Good luck Michael.

Looking forward to the reading about the whole saga as it unfolds.

Jo

Cheers Jo.

I figure that this should prove good reading in the future, certainly will give me a chance to reflect on what I do achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the sump fixed, but due to my carelessness with fitting the air con compressor, there is now a leak in the radiator.

Anyhow, it now runs, so it's a good chance to see what works and can be re used in the 205.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of it Michael!

Is this your grey GTi that you had on club reg?

Via the aussiefrogs

Sure is Julian, but before the engine goes in, will get a roll cage put in, and a few other small modifications.

Sure is Julian, but before the engine goes in, will get a roll cage put in, and a few other small modifications.

Woo yeah! That will be amazing. I have photos and footage from Kyneton last year too. Let me know who you will be getting to put the cage in. Keen to do it to my red one.

Brown Davis have done a 205 cage for Graham Wallis, so they have some experience with our cars.
Will have to pay them a visit first.

I may be interested in a half cage for the autocross project car.
Possibly a good idea to get them done together.

Brown Davis have done a 205 cage for Graham Wallis, so they have some experience with our cars.
Will have to pay them a visit first.

Quite possibly, so you would still keep the roll caged si? And Julian, are you looking at a half cage or a full cage?

Yes, keep the Si as an 8 valve rally car, the S1 GTi has the 16 valve and throttle bodies, looking for something lighter and more powerful for speed events. No rush to get this on the track so anytime for the cage really.
I've got a lot of projects but not a lot left to do on any of them, and I have the space now so hopefully things will stay in control!
Graham

Quite possibly, so you would still keep the roll caged si? And Julian, are you looking at a half cage or a full cage?

Probably just a half cage. Main hoop is really my main concern. Full cage would be nice but funds are the only concern. No real hurry. I'll just keep letting Graham win until then :)

Julian, I don't think Graham needs any of us to 'let him win' and a faster, lighter 205 would make him even harder to catch.

Ok, we seem to have setup a mini group buy, by the looks of it.
I was not planning on putting in a cage for a while, but if we can get 3 cars done at once, then there may be enough savings to do it sooner.

Leave the PAS pump on the 6 motor. Use the high preassure side of the gti6 hose that goes along the front of the motor. Then you can use all 205 Si or Gti hoses. The Si has a faster rack and would be the one to use. They are not too hard to find.

Cam

Cheers Cam,

So ideally I want a 205 SI for its front hubs, and quick PAS rack.
Probably cheaper to buy an entire SI

would the 6spd gearbox fit in ?? You could run really short gearing ................. but have 6cogs so still have an ok top speed :)

Hi double chevron,

Yes the 6 speed would fit, but from what I read, you lose a bit of right hand lock, and the close ratios are not as required as the car weighs 200kg lighter.

Also, if I remember right that the final ratio is not much better than a 5 speed anyway, still around 3000 rpm at 110

Dont bother with the 6 box.

Yes you could buy an SI. Most parts you require can be had from members on here for not much money. I believe Graham Wallis may have the powersteer gear.

Hubs will also be easy to come by. Throw up an ad in the wanted section or call french connection

Thanks cam,

That was always the plan, I dont think my parents would want and extra car at their place.

Is it too early to ask about canabalising the GTi6? Looking at those roof racks (possibly) not going to use makes my heart sink, and my bike + GTi6 problem seem that closer to a solution. Possibly also some other, mostly cosmetic, interior parts if you don't want them... you can pm or call me on 0421977996 if you prefer, assuming you're somewhere in the state of VIC, I can pick up.