Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Well RinTinTin, thanks for the valuable advice. How often do these locks fail I wonder? After owning about 50 cars in my life, this one is a newy on me.
Actually, thank you for your detailed description of what I have in front of me. I don't know if I have the enthusiasm or the energy to tackle this formidable task. Maybe just buy a whole new door from the wreckers? Or trade the car in and get a newer one!
Are the so called Renault 'dealers' able to do this I wonder. From past experience I would say certainly not. An auto electrician perhaps?
And then, I expect that a replacement lock will cost a fortune?
By the way, I have the workshop manual but as usual it is all over the place.
To have one coherent step-by-step section titled: "How to dismantle the front door" would be much too easy.
What a bummer!

Last edited:
Well RinTinTin, thanks for the good news. How often do these locks fail I wonder? After owning about 50 cars in my life, this one is a newy on me.
Actually, thank you for your detailed description of what I have in front of me. I don't know if I have the enthusiasm or the energy to tackle this formidable task. Maybe just buy a whole new door from the wreckers? Or trade the car in and get a newer one!
Are the so called Renault 'dealers' able to do this I wonder. From past experience I would say certainly not. An auto electrician perhaps?
And then, I expect that a replacement lock will cost a fortune?
By the way, I have the workshop manual but as usual it is all over the place.
To have one coherent step-by-step section titled: "How to dismantle the front door" would be much too easy.
What a bummer!

Look on the bright side, it hasn't failed. Yet! David Cavanagh has a selection of little used door locks, I'm sure!

Well Bretie don't shoot the messenger, you can try lubricating the lock if you want.
I've had two locks go on me and in my experience they're intermittent at first and get progressively worse until they won't lock/unlock at all.
Yes the instructions are all over the place but at least they exist. Here are some instructions on removing the trim and lock, you can make your own decision about lubricating or replacing or replacing the door or the whole car or getting someone to do it or whatever.

Removing door trim;
View attachment Koleos MR421 Trim & Upholstery 21.pdf
View attachment Koleos MR421 Trim & Upholstery 22.pdf

Accessing / removing the lock;

View attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 45.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 46.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 07.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 08.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 09.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 10.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 11.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 12.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 13.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 14.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Mechanisms & Accessories 15.pdf

Once again, thanks RTT for your kind and very helpful assistance with this unenviable task and the vital instructions. My whining was not at all directed at you and you will notice that I have 'edited' that semi sarcastic remark about the 'good news' out of my comment as it appears to have caused offence.

I hope I did not come across as "shooting the messenger". If my words gave that impression then I sincerely apologise. That was not my intention.

Over the years (how many has it been?) I have always found members of this forum to be ready to render any assistance and advice they were able to, without fear or favour.

Now, if you really want to give me a hand, come over to my place and help me do this! (just kidding)

Hello Bretie,

No offence taken. These days I don't always enjoy fixing broken bits on cars, I just prefer to drive them and get rather peeved when things fail. Anything major I leave to the workshop to fix, If it's too bad the car might end up going to the knackery.

When my locks started groaning/not working I tried lubrication with RP7, Silicon spray etc. but there is no way of getting to the internals of the lock from the outside so this was all for nought. But if you're going to dismantle the door to get into the lock to try and lubricate it, you might just a well replace it with a known good one.

But in truth, the job in replacing the locks is not that bad. The hardest part is likely to be finding another lock that's good (and won't require your taking out a second mortgage to pay for it). David Cavanagh would likely have one and his prices are usually good even if you factor in postage. Alternatively there are wreckers that would have Koleos's (or is the plural Koleoi) but I found in Brisbane there's a huge variation in price depending on the yard. Around my area there are only about 3 - 4 yards that might have a Koleos and there could be up to 200% - 300% difference between the highest and lowest. You can try for a new one but you'd better be sitting down and have your heart pills handy if you need them when they tell you the price.
The Japanese/Koreans have designed the door equipment reasonably well and it does come apart relatively painlessly. The hardest part I found was getting the exterior door handle off and the fiddly little wiring harnesses on the exterior door handle and handle base. Trying to undo these fragile connectors without destroying them with my fat fingers was not fun.

Have a trawl through U-tube (look for relace door lock or similar), you probably won't find anything on changing a Koleos lock but there were some on changing the lock on the X-Trail or other Nissan vehicles which are very similar. The pros seem to be able to do the job in under half an hour, took me a lot longer than that.

Cheers
RTT

Hello RTT, thanks for the update and additional information. (I sincerely hope others find this exchange useful? Just wait, their time will come!)
I feel a lot more confident now about tackling this very unusual, 'unprecedented' is the word of the month, job and have begun the usual research for likely sources of the part, including Renault dealers and second hand parts suppliers.
So far I have had one offer for a used lock at $145 delivered, which I felt was reasonable. But alas, it is not for the 2014 model.
Other than that, I see several 'used' locks being offered, but they are oil drenched and scungy as hell. I see no point in installing a crappy old lock.
In the meantime I will wait for replies to my enquiries to roll in and begin the disassembly process.
PS: I emphasise with your feeling about "the car going to the knackery". Maybe it's time! But that would be 'throwing the baby out with the bath water'.

From recollection, Dave Cavanagh has two Kolei, a first and a second series, give him a bell! 03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

From recollection, Dave Cavanagh has two Kolei, a first and a second series, give him a bell! 03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

Thank you Kim Luck for that lead. Regrettably Dave does not have any left. He also said that 'he goes through quite a few of those'. I cannot believe that these things break so easily. Never before have I heard of it.

In the meantime I have a quote from a local Renault dealer at $835 for supply plus $310 for fitting, making a total of $1145 for one friggin door lock! I don't think my car is even worth that much. Jeeez!

Will have to come up with plan 'B' quick smart. The evil crusher beckons!

So locks are about the only thing that actually DOES break on a Koleos? What a pain. More expensive than the R12 front door locks which all failed until the factory reinforced the bit that bent......

Thank you Kim Luck for that lead. Regrettably Dave does not have any left. He also said that 'he goes through quite a few of those'. I cannot believe that these things break so easily. Never before have I heard of it.

In the meantime I have a quote from a local Renault dealer at $835 for supply plus $310 for fitting, making a total of $1145 for one friggin door lock! I don't think my car is even worth that much. Jeeez!

Will have to come up with plan 'B' quick smart. The evil crusher beckons!

With our Koleos' wonderful resale values it might just be cheaper to buy a whole one rather than just the locks........

So locks are about the only thing that actually DOES break on a Koleos? What a pain. More expensive than the R12 front door locks which all failed until the factory reinforced the bit that bent......

Quite so JohnW! But why did this bunny have to find that out the hard way?! For that price I can buy one new washing machine and one new fridge!

I cannot imagine what the good folk at Renault think to justify the prices they charge for their replacement parts. Absolutely criminal! Actually, the cost of the lock is relatively cheap, considering I recently paid nearly $500 for a replacement key card.

I have now begun the quest to find a replacement lock that I can afford, either used or 'pirate' (non-oem). The present time is of course not ideal because many people in the trade are not working normally. Even if I did locate a suitable one, a mechanic would be hard to find. Perfect timing all round!

Therefore I have decided not to do any work on the door for the time being until I find a replacement because if I pull it apart the car will not be drivable.

In the meantime, and in case of emergency, we will use the actual door key in the left hand door that opens and shuts the door mechanically. A bit of a hassle as the wife has to climb over the centre console (ouch!)

Please let me know if you have any ideas about possible sources of a 'Drivers Door Lock Actuator' (official description)

Quite so JohnW! But why did this bunny have to find that out the hard way?! For that price I can buy one new washing machine and one new fridge!

I cannot imagine what the good folk at Renault think to justify the prices they charge for their replacement parts. Absolutely criminal! Actually, the cost of the lock is relatively cheap, considering I recently paid nearly $500 for a replacement key card.

I have now begun the quest to find a replacement lock that I can afford, either used or 'pirate' (non-oem). The present time is of course not ideal because many people in the trade are not working normally. Even if I did locate a suitable one, a mechanic would be hard to find. Perfect timing all round!

Therefore I have decided not to do any work on the door for the time being until I find a replacement because if I pull it apart the car will not be drivable.

In the meantime, and in case of emergency, we will use the actual door key in the left hand door that opens and shuts the door mechanically. A bit of a hassle as the wife has to climb over the centre console (ouch!)

Please let me know if you have any ideas about possible sources of a 'Drivers Door Lock Actuator' (official description)

What a bugger. I can sympathise with the key card cost, having been there with our Scenics. I wonder whether UK would be worth a google? Or even www.ebay.co.uk. I vaguely think they are sold in France too. Both costs do seem exorbitant! I did try the cheap way with an ebay-sourced key card but it couldn't be programmed, or so I was told.

I wonder if anyone has a photograph of the part that breaks - In the past my Laguna rear door lock on hatch, stopped operating mainly due to the outer plastic case bulging and the inner plastic gears able to bypass each other, I simply put it all back, packed the cover and it has been going along quite nicely for quite a few years now.

Similarly the button that operates the gear selection lever disintegrated and after working out how it operated a simple electrical tie of the right size looped through the rod mechanism made a "temporary" fix that will do until either I get one made up on computer deposition copier or I find a good one on a wreck. Some Renault plastics don't age well...

On the later Megane the brake release mechanism collapsed internally and until I can get a good replacement, another electrical tie did the trick. While I'd like to buy a S/Hand one to fit, it can wait..

So if someone has a replaced lock to explore the internals, perhaps a bit of ingenuity might avoid an expensive part replacement, and the know-how be shared for those that like the challenge of fixing shoddy plastic mechanisms. The new fix does seem a tad expensive.

We do have members who have plastic printing machines and might like the challenge also..

Ken

There are several very clever and resourceful 'fixers' of door locks on U-tube, regrettably not for the Koleos lock, but other makes, and in every case it was just a very simple and cheap $1 white plastic gear, or the little $10 actuator motor that is readily available, needing replacing.

When I get my lock out, I will certainly post pictures of its innards, and hopefully devise a cheap fix. I am alarmed to discover how prevalent door lock failures on Renaults are.

Last edited:
There are several very clever and resourceful 'fixers' of door locks on U-tube, regrettably not for the Koleos lock, but other makes, and in every case it was just a very simple and cheap $1 white plastic gear, or the little $10 actuator motor that is readily available, needing replacing.

When I get my lock out, I will certainly post pictures of its innards, and hopefully devise a cheap fix. I am alarmed to discover how prevalent door lock failures on Renaults are. Renault owners cannot be held to ransom in this way as it is totally unconscionable. The pox on them!

Maybe I'm just lucky but my 10 year old RX4 Scenic and my 2008 Koleos have had no doorlock problems. Maybe it's the time I spend on gravel roads?

Don't quote me but I think the Koleos locks are the same for the entire HY series (up to 2016) and maybe the HC series (from 2016).
There's probably a nylon gear or worm-drive or motor inside that's worth about 5 cents that's worn out. To me the grinding noise suggests worn gears.
I did a search when my lock failed and I couldn't find any repair kit or lock replacement parts. Even looked for Samsung QM5 and Nissan X-Trail parts.
Looking at the lock once I removed it from the car, it appeared to be welded or glued shut, there weren't any obvious screws that looked like they held the case together. One could probably use a dremel to split open the case but then you have to seal it again somehow, that is assuming you can repair or replace whatever is worn out inside.

Don't quote me but I think the Koleos locks are the same for the entire HY series (up to 2016) and maybe the HC series (from 2016).
There's probably a nylon gear or worm-drive or motor inside that's worth about 5 cents that's worn out. To me the grinding noise suggests worn gears.
I did a search when my lock failed and I couldn't find any repair kit or lock replacement parts. Even looked for Samsung QM5 and Nissan X-Trail parts.
Looking at the lock once I removed it from the car, it appeared to be welded or glued shut, there weren't any obvious screws that looked like they held the case together. One could probably use a dremel to split open the case but then you have to seal it again somehow, that is assuming you can repair or replace whatever is worn out inside.

The door locks changed when the cars got proximity keys. But your most likely right about the 5 cent piece.

The door locks changed when the cars got proximity keys. But your most likely right about the 5 cent piece.

Hello Cav, My Koleos is a 2009 and it has the proximity key so they've been around since the MK1.
Mine is a Privilege trim so maybe they weren't standard on all trim levels.
But the proximity locks had a different exterior handle and base (extra sensors and button), I think the actual lock is the same. If someone has Koleos parts manual it can be checked.

Cheers
RTT

Update on the Koleos Door Lock Actuator Saga:

Sent out requests for a replacement lock to about a dozen likely suppliers. There are a lot out there.
Quickest response came through "Findapart.com.au" and "Partsonline.com.au" and "eurojapcarparts.com.au".

So far have five 'offers', three used, ranging from $130 to $350, and two new at $835 (tell them they are dreaming!)

Kate at French Car Care in Brisbane was very helpful in chasing up a replacement and deserves our support.

I have ordered the 'middle of the road' version at $175 delivered, from a chap called Hussein and am keeping my fingers crossed! Will keep you posted on what actually arrives.

PS: Another offer just came in from South Australia, for $125 delivered. So many choices!
It pays to be vigilant and check against the VIN because at least two turned out to be incorrect so far.

Last edited:
REN TIN TIN
Really, that's very rare. Mine is a 2010 has leather etc but not a proximity key. Has the card type key but not proximity. We've wrecked a few at work only the ones after about 2013 have had it. Even had a customer with a 2014 model one (very base model - mechanical hand brake), no proximity. Again he like mine only had the key card.

Last edited: