Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

85Fuego

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Righto let's start a Koleos subforum.
Koleos problems posts here, Hints, tips etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Service reminder reset

Using the trip computer scroll buttons - scroll display until distance to next service is seen.
Press button AND HOLD until km to next service flashes.
Short press scroll buttons up/down until desired next service distance is displayed.
Once desired service interval is displayed - long press to set.

This is described in the drivers handbook 1.51 Edition 07/2008

Interesting to see that the book describes either 30 or 20,000 km service intervals.
Service manual states 15k intervals.

I'd go with the lower service intervals myself.

I do so with the Scenic as the amount of dust and crap in the air filter is enough to scare anyone at 10,000km.
I know the books and all manuals from the EU and UK say longer, like the 30,000 you mentioned. Truly believe that maybe fine for their climatic conditions where they have much less dust and small particles in their atmosphere

My former service agents repeatedly kept setting my "next service interval" at 10,000 km for my diesel Koleos. I read the handbook and quickly ascertained the method for changing the value. I'm happy with 15,000 km because these days it's about once a year.

Manual Gear-box oil specs

Howdy,
There's a little bit of feedback in the gear stick when changing 1-2 in the 6 speed box. Will change the box oil and see what happens. Read the books (and unless i am suffering from selective blindness) can't find the specs and change intervals for the gearbox.
Anyone know?

Last edited:
Gearbox oil - FYI

Gearbox oil
ELF NFJ 75W80 (GL4+) you need 2L
Rear Diff oil
TRANSELF Universal FE80W90 (GL4 &5) you need 1L

the thing makes an awful rattling racket, obviously until the oil has circulated.
The original oil is Elf fully synthetic 5W-W40. Is that too thin? Would I be better off using 10W-40W

Breitie,
Obviously from the oil specs you have a petrol powered version.
How long is the racket for?
Just whilst starting or afterwards?
Oil level correct?
Fresh oil/filter?
May need an oil pressure test?
Unless you are in FAR north Queensland 5W40 is adequate.
Magnatec will be inferior.
Keep us informed.

David

Hi David, thanks for your interest.
My petrol Koleos is new, only ca 3000km on the dial. Oil level is good.
Rattling noise lasts maybe one-two seconds upon cold start
but sounds frightfully coarse and abrasive.
Never heard that on my Scenic nor any previous car.

A rattle is a worry, my privelege has a whine but it ia the handbrake servo disconecting the handbrake for me, it may be the same for you.

Gas struts on the rear hatch have failed.

Hasn't missed a beat apart from that. Just getting pricing etc for the 45k service.

Thanks for the tip on setting the service intervals on the dash :)

Thought I'd share this with you: I smacked a rock with the front under-tray last weekend then drove 150km home with it hanging down, but not scraping on anything. I visited our new Renault agent, Brighton Renault who whacked it on the hoist to see if there was any damage apart from the obvious. The news was good, no damage, the impact made a small hole in the tray and simply blew the plastic rivets holding the under-tray to the bumper clean off! I imagine they are not something you would find at most dealers so Brighton Renault kindly re-suspended the undertray on cable ties pending the arrival of the rivets. At NO charge! Most commendable, I'll be back! Four wheel driving Koleos owners need to be aware the under-tray is just a plastic splash shield, not a sump guard! Might keep some cable ties and plastic rivets in the car permanently from now on......

Any ideas for 'customising' my lovely Koleos? I have fitted front mudflaps (should be standard actually), also an aftermarket rubber 'door protector strip' along the vee on the lower part of the doors because that is very vulnerable to chipping in parking lots (looks shmick - not shown in the early picture at left, but you see what I mean about 'vulnerable') as well as door sill nameplates (are supposed to light up but there is NO WAY I am cutting into the wiring loom - need to connect them to the in-door foot lights), and a black plastic grill to protect the radiator from debris (gutter guard actually, from Bunnings, fits perfectly and costs nothing) I need more ideas.

Does anybody read this stuff?? Perhaps there are no more than two Koleos (aka QM5) owners out there?
I have another question: I have just installed a reversing camera and discovered to my dismay that my model does not have an accessory plug in the boot like my wonderful Scenic had. Now I have to use the one in the centre console for the rear camera and the one in the dash for the screen-in-rearview-mirror. This means that there are visible wires running from back to front and both cigarette lighter plugs are occupied. (not that I need them normally but it does look unprofessional and untidy and the wires get in the way). I would like to run hidden wires to the fuse box and free the two cigarette lighter plugs for things like an iPod, phone charger etc.
QUESTION: does anyone know how to tap power for accessories from the fuse box??
Like I said above, I am wary of messing with the electrics (still have not connected my fancy and expensive illuminated sill-plates in the doors for fear of causing a fireball and massive short in the system!)
Any auto-sparkies out there? Advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

The Koleos has a multiplexed system and it is not easy to connect without specific Renault accessories. You may be able to hard wire from the back of the 12v outlets if you can find your way through the trim to do it neatly.

Drivers side on the sill of the rear quarter window. Don't worry my wife blew the fuse in the ciggie lighter in ours with a shonky phone charger so we are probably even stevens for functioning accessory sockets!!

Koloelol in for iot'[s 45K service this Friday so we'll see how brazen the dealer is to fix it...

Drivers side on the sill of the rear quarter window. Don't worry my wife blew the fuse in the ciggie lighter in ours with a shonky phone charger so we are probably even stevens for functioning accessory sockets!!

Koloelol in for iot'[s 45K service this Friday so we'll see how brazen the dealer is to fix it...
I spoke to a Renault representative with a Koleos today and he showed me the accessory socket which is on the sill of the right hand rear side window facing forward. It is just a typical cigar lighter style socket. He says that if you want to fit a rear facing camera, you dismantle the rear door and there is an opening available through the centre of the Renault Lozenge. The wiring is multiplexed and you cannot connect without the modules from the factory. Alternatively you could remove the trim below the accessory socket and wire to its rear which is 12v demultiplexed. However, he pointed out that the labour involved in doing a neat job of feeding the wire to the door or to an alternative location on the bumper would be very time consuming.

Right, I found the place in the right hand rear quarter window where the socket should be. Unfortunately my humble Expression only has a plastic blank instead of a socket outlet. A bit of a nuisance that. And a bit silly really because in a vehicle that may be used for excursions and camping the socket in the cargo area should be mandatory and would not be a great additional expense, surely. Disappointing to say the least!

If the 12v socket is de multiplexed, go and buy a generic one from a Repco/Supercheap Auto place? Only cost a few bucks and fit it yourself.

Dave