Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Hello Cav91,

Really, maybe we're talking about different things then.
By proximity key I'm talking about a key-card that will work while it is in close proximity to the vehicle.
i.e. you can open the doors by putting your hand on the handle (or push the button on the taillgate) and start the car while the key-card is in your pocket. (Except when the card is used to lock the car then the card has to be used to unlock).
Moving a couple of metres away and locks and ignition won't function.
On the door handles, there are aerials fitted to the handle base that sense the proximity of the key and an IR sensor that detects your hand. I don't have to take the key-card out of my pocket (and rarely do) to open or start the car and rarely ever put the key-card in the slot on the console.
If that isn't a proximity key I'm keen to know what is.

I know the base model didn't have them (Expression?), and probably not on the Dynamique, but though all the top of the range types did or maybe it was an option on the Privilege types.

Cheers
RTT

Hello Cav91,

Really, maybe we're talking about different things then.
By proximity key I'm talking about a key-card that will work while it is in close proximity to the vehicle.
i.e. you can open the doors by putting your hand on the handle (or push the button on the taillgate) and start the car while the key-card is in your pocket. (Except when the card is used to lock the car then the card has to be used to unlock).
Moving a couple of metres away and locks and ignition won't function.
On the door handles, there are aerials fitted to the handle base that sense the proximity of the key and an IR sensor that detects your hand. I don't have to take the key-card out of my pocket (and rarely do) to open or start the car and rarely ever put the key-card in the slot on the console.
If that isn't a proximity key I'm keen to know what is.

I know the base model didn't have them (Expression?), and probably not on the Dynamique, but though all the top of the range types did or maybe it was an option on the Privilege types.

Cheers
RTT
Yep yours is definitely proximity key. Its the first koleos I've heard of with it before 2013. Very lucky to have, and honestly a feature I wish mine had. But mine is a manual so didnt get a few features!

I now have two (2) gold plated super high tech door lock actuators, worth $900 each, for my lovely Koleos,
and am reliably informed that they are all the same from 2013 to 2016, as long as they have the locking button in the door handle.

All are embossed with the Renault/Nissan logo, but I cannot say if they fit both makes, like oil filters etc.

I will pull the old one apart to see where the diamonds are hidden that make these things so eye watering expensive.

Door Actuator3.JPG

Door Actuator1.JPG

Last edited:
I fear you won't find a cache of diamonds or gold nuggets or any other rare gems or metals encased in the door locks to explain the exorbitant price. But the other marques aren't much better and some are even worse.
I don't think they'll fit the Nissan variants, the Nissan ones appear to have an additional cable for a snipper button which the Koleos and the Samsung QM5 don't have. They'll probably still fit physically, just will be sans the additional cable.

Whilst I'm in no way enthusiastic about possibly having to replace mine, I'm reminded that one of the reasons that these little diamond encrusted bits of fancy hardware are so expensive industry wide is possibly because the manufacturer is recouping some of the money they spent getting these innocuous little electrically operated numbers to pass international regulations regarding ant-burst locks and the fact they need to work after an impact. (Reading the Scenic RX4 manual told me that in a severe impact, as well as the airbags and seatbelt tensioners being fired, the doors were unlocked and the fuel flow to the engine was cut off.)

EASY FIX FOR DOOR ACTUATOR NOISE

For door locks that are basically sound there is a very simple fix to eliminate the 'groaning' or 'grinding' noise.

Let me explain:

There is a small steel pin in the lock that can work its way out after several years of slamming the door.

It is a very simple matter, five minutes is all it takes, to push that pin home to eliminate the grinding noise.
This is done through the 'striker' opening where the lock sits in the edge of the door. (see photo)

Like this: undo the two bottom Torx screws that hold the lock in the door, and only partially undo the top.
Next poke a screwdriver into the gap between lock and door metal, locate the pin and lever it back into the lock housing.

Problem fixed! No more Noise! $1400 saved!

I attach a photo of two door locks (that are for sale as 'surplus' to my needs) The left one is from a 2013 Koleos and the right one is from a 2015 Koleos.

Look carefully and you will see that there is a small hole in the face of the one on the right, with the head of the offending pin just showing, in this case still in its proper position.

The other lock, the 2013 version, does not have that pin and is not for my 2014 Bose.

Door Lock Fix JPG.JPG

Attachments

• Door Locks.JPG
    Door Locks.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Similar to my experience with the rear lower tailgate locking mechanism. It is a good setup with strong cables etc but is let down by two feeble plastics parts at the end of the cables that help connect the end of the cables to the unlocking mechanism. Being so feeble...they break. My first set of cables was replaced under warranty,I hate to imagine what the assembly was worth as they replace the whole works just because of these two plastic bits on the end. I thought ...if this ever happens again out of warranty I will not be replacing everything. Sure enough it happened a few month ago. It's a bit of a battle getting the tailgate open when this happens but by pulling off a few panels etc it can be done. Now to link the cable to the locking/unlocking mechanism... a small cable tie did the job & now I open & close the bottom tailgate very carefully as I advise everyone to do the same. If the cable tie eventually breaks, I will just replace it.
Cheers,
Barry

broken lower hatch cables

Thanks Barry, my 2014 Bose has this problem.Is the inner panel easy to remove? Any advice on method appreciated, Thanks Peter.

Thanks Barry, my 2014 Bose has this problem.Is the inner panel easy to remove? Any advice on method appreciated, Thanks Peter.
Hi Peter
The panels on the lower tailgate come off pretty easily, you just have to be a bit brave & pop the retainers out of their holes. The same with the two panels on both sides of the car, they need to come off if you cannot open the tailgate so you can remove the bracket that the lock attaches to to lock the tailgate. You might be able to get your fingers in & release the catch without removing the bracket. The little plastic parts at the end of the cable break because people lift the centre hande too high when opening the lower tailgate, so treat it gentle
Once you can see how it all operates you can see that all you have to do is reattach the cable to the release mechanism, I just used a small cable tie, otherwise you have to buy the whole assembly & i hate to imagine how much that would cost at Renault, I had one replaced before but that was under warranty Its a bit hard to explain here but hope this helps
Cheers,
Barry

Hi Barry,
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to give me that help.I found a good little video on this but your explanation makes me feel much more confident in doing the job! I have ordered a new pair of locks from Adelaide for $260 shipped and have also discovered a full set of locks(centre included) for $96 shipped from China.

I have a 2009 Koleos diesel 4wd manual that I use to go out and do rally controls and a 2017 BFB manual 1.2 Megane hatch but look likely to have a knee replacement so have bought a 2014 Bose auto as "get me around" car .It is the one with the broken cable.

Thanks again for you help and i will post details of how I go .Another example of the value of these forums.great stuff!

Mr pclio, would you please divulge the source of the Koloes locks from Adelaide as well as from China.
Just in case anyone may need them in future, or even "going forward".

I found my used replacement door lock actuators for the front door through "findapart.com.au" which works really well because most 'wreckers' subscribe to it, but they are second hand of course and therefore potentially a bit 'dodgy'.

Last edited:
SA bits from willsautoparts ;China from Aliexpress.cheers Peter

Thank you Peter, that info may come in handy some day.

Did not find any door lock actuators for Koleos though but a bewildering array for KIA and HYUNDAI.
Most for less than $180! Whereas the same thing costs $900 from Renault. Shameful!
However, I note they have that small white plastic cog for the Koloes door lock at $7.45. Note to self!

Last edited:
Just for information there is a part on Ebay that is a piece that apparently stops the original part from breaking(not a fix for broken bit)for $52.
Agree about the Kia's but a new Koleos Zen can be haggled down to $31k and has a 7 year warranty and 3 years free servicing and not a bad thing.2 tonne towing as well.Must say that i have heard some ordinary reports on Hyundai service and back up.We looked at the Cerarto for my daughter, great value but really noisy auto, she ended up with a new Mazda 3 which is a great but expensive drive.

g'day all, just a few comments re. our 2019 Koleos Intens, bought 12 months ago new and just had the first service @ 15,000km (1 year)

lovely to drive, a bit overwhelming with electronic gizmos - how stupid is it to have to go into the main screen to change aircon fan speed? two main gripes about the car, first one has been mentioned here, the other not. the top end rattle at cold startup is just horrible - will Shell Helix Ultra fix this, and is it approved by RA for cars under warranty? the thing I really hate is the cruise control - on any minor kind of rise in road level (not even what you would call a hill) the revs go up to a ridiculous level - like 4,000rpm for a little increase. I've got to the stage where I slip into 'manual' 6th and then pop back into auto after the car has gone over the 'hill'. Maddening !!! looking forward to all replies, cheers,

BP

REN TIN TIN
Really, that's very rare. Mine is a 2010 has leather etc but not a proximity key. Has the card type key but not proximity. We've wrecked a few at work only the ones after about 2013 have had it. Even had a customer with a 2014 model one (very base model - mechanical hand brake), no proximity. Again he like mine only had the key card.
We have a 2009 Privilege and it has the proximity key. I usually leave the card in a pouch my wife made, in my pocket. Apart from the many times it deadlocks itself and I have to go for the unlock button. Occasionally it tells me to insert the card to start the engine.

I found that if you lock the car with the card you can only unlock it with the card. If you lock the car with the switches in the door handles or the switch in the Renault badge on the tail gate you can use either the proximity or the card (if you're to far away for the proximity to work).

I have a 2008 Turbo Diesel Manual 4wd that I use when I do Rally controls .Want to fit some supplementary lighting, either a bar or a couple of spots.Has anyone done this? Looking for advice re mounting,plastic bumpers look pretty flimsy, so any advice appreciated.
Buying the lights and wiring kit very affordable,just need to get a solid base.
Thanks Peter.

Just for information there is a part on Ebay that is a piece that apparently stops the original part from breaking(not a fix for broken bit)for $52.
Agree about the Kia's but a new Koleos Zen can be haggled down to $31k and has a 7 year warranty and 3 years free servicing and not a bad thing.2 tonne towing as well.Must say that i have heard some ordinary reports on Hyundai service and back up.We looked at the Cerarto for my daughter, great value but really noisy auto, she ended up with a new Mazda 3 which is a great but expensive drive.
Further to this I watched a video about the "limiter" that stops the tailgate lock breaking and they said that you don't need to use it on the earlier models, so it was ok and then replaced with a poorer design!!!

g'day all, just a few comments re. our 2019 Koleos Intens, bought 12 months ago new and just had the first service @ 15,000km (1 year)

lovely to drive, a bit overwhelming with electronic gizmos - how stupid is it to have to go into the main screen to change aircon fan speed? two main gripes about the car, first one has been mentioned here, the other not. the top end rattle at cold startup is just horrible - will Shell Helix Ultra fix this, and is it approved by RA for cars under warranty? the thing I really hate is the cruise control - on any minor kind of rise in road level (not even what you would call a hill) the revs go up to a ridiculous level - like 4,000rpm for a little increase. I've got to the stage where I slip into 'manual' 6th and then pop back into auto after the car has gone over the 'hill'. Maddening !!! looking forward to all replies, cheers,

BP

Just purchased one (Life model) recently - and yes, the cruise control tendency to rev madly on any kind of an incline is maddening! If find that if I am in "Eco" mode this is not so bad.

And no top end rattle in my case. Even on soem quite cold mornings recently.

Still getting to know the car - but I'm liking it.

Ian.