Fuel Price

Do the police turn a blind eye to delivery drivers using their phone while the key is in the ignition, let alone the ....... engine running as well ?

The New Landrover Defender can apparently be specced with a remote start so that the vehicle is nice and toasty/iced down when you later turn up to drive it. Mmmmmmm!
Nice, unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to a vehicle with such fripperies. I'll just have keep starting my car and setting the HVAC before I go to bed.😉

Now back to why is my 1.4 Berlingo is only getting 10kms to a litre of PULP.🤔🤔🤔

Just as a matter of interest I had a bit of a look (mainly because I had no idea) for the difference in diesel consumption with stop/start technology (as opposed to one without it) and found this recent article. Apparently it's a lot more than I had imagined!🤷‍♂️

Well what if I bought one of these Rangers for towing my 3.5T van around Australia can I sue them for more money than offered because I will be using lots more fuel towing and that 8% loss will be worth heaps more money :rolleyes:;)

Greenpeace do I detect some bias against some greenies in your posts. You must be unhappy with the Teal mob getting a hold on !! 😵‍💫
Jaahn

Greenpeace do I detect some bias against some greenies in your posts. You must be unhappy with the Teal mob getting a hold on !! 😵‍💫
Jaahn
No I certainly don't have an intentional bias against anyone who genuinely follows the "green" philosophy. However I do get a little annoyed with people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

PS. I'm out and about at the moment, sitting in the shade typing this, with my car turned off.😉

I've done the math (based on current prices) and if I convert my 300 cid F100 ambulance to LPG I can reduce my fuel bill by 30% over driving my 1.4 Berlingo on E10.🤦‍♂️

For some reason while petrol went up 50c p/L, LPG went down 10c p/L (LPG is 1/2 the price of E10 around here).🤷‍♂️

There's a complete carby style dual fuel kit on Marketplace at the moment for $150.🤔🤔
I chucked one on another F100 I had a few years ago and the local LPG place only charged $60 to inspect and compliance plate the vehicle. Mmmmmm?

Wouldn't spend too much on a conversion because there are gloomy predictions of what our gas price will do over winter. Note Brazil is diverting its sugar production to ethanol.

Mmm, sounds like someone's going to get more of your $ no matter what you do for motorised transport. Just announced that QLDs electricity cost to consumers is increasing by 10.7% as well.🤷‍♂️

Just waiting for the EBA to go through at work so I can get my 2% wage rise.🤦‍♂️

Wouldn't spend too much on a conversion because there are gloomy predictions of what our gas price will do over winter. Note Brazil is diverting its sugar production to ethanol.

I'd prefer they diverted their production of sugar to the making of fine rum...........

Just as a matter of interest I had a bit of a look (mainly because I had no idea) for the difference in diesel consumption with stop/start technology (as opposed to one without it) and found this recent article. Apparently it's a lot more than I had imagined!🤷‍♂️
God, these aussie car journos are just rubbish.
While the story claims Ford "quietly" or "discreetly" removed stop/start, it goes on to make it pretty clear Ford had no choice due to the world wide and well known chip shortage!

And this: "It is unclear why Ford Australia is insisting only customers who still own affected vehicles are entitled to the $1100 refund, given the vehicle was missing equipment that they signed up to and paid for when placing their order."

It's fairly clear, IMHO: because if you don't own the car anymore, then you aren't paying for the extra fuel it is using. Not hard to understand...

Anyway, all that aside, it is surprising it makes such a difference. I imagine that would only be on 'city cycle' type tests which involve alot of stopping at lights. Many users would never face much of that, or other uses would change its significance. Like for instance, towing a boat as depicted in the article.

It is exactly the combination of average Joe and twin cab ute that makes me think contractor or some such. Hence fuel paid for by us.
Not sure where you're coming from with this, either.
Even if someone is using a vehicle for commerce, they are still the ones paying for the fuel.
And if they use unnecessary fuel by leaving the vehicle idling for extended periods it costs them.

Wouldn't spend too much on a conversion because there are gloomy predictions of what our gas price will do over winter.
When outright prices are higher, then the petrol/LPG differential will be larger, making LPG conversion more desirable, not less.

Anyway, all that aside, it is surprising it makes such a difference. I imagine that would only be on 'city cycle' type tests which involve alot of stopping at lights.
My eldest son has a diesel Dualis which is used for 90% country driving. They leave the stop start turned off because the recommended EFB battery to support this function (in a decent brand) is $500. They bought a $200 "normal" battery (in a good brand) when the first one died. It only uses 4.5L/100km with the stop/start off anyway, (the way they use it).

Do the police turn a blind eye to delivery drivers using their phone while the key is in the ignition, let alone the ....... engine running as well ?
Assuming Vic is the same as NSW (which it may not...) I believe the requirement is to be parked out of the traffic lanes.
I don't think you need to shut the car off and remove the key.

When outright prices are higher, then the petrol/LPG differential will be larger, making LPG conversion more desirable, not less.
There is a fear that the exceptionally steep rises in gas price in Europe will impact Australia via high demand and prices for the LNG shipped from WA.
Oil price has risen, Brent just sort of $US 120, with more upside than downside factors in play at the moment. Oil has been higher in the past without the current extreme fuel prices but Reuters notes the refiners margin (also called the crack) is sky high and at record levels. Some predictions are oil could rise to $150 a barrel by the Northern winter, others that it could fall back to $65 if Europe continues to buy Russian oil. EU politicians confuse the market with contradictory statements and reversals of policy so the current conference in Brussels is important and will most likely determine the immediate movement of the oil price. Plenty of oil in the world, but world trading patterns have changed dramatically because of sanctions.
My delivery last week was over $2.10 for distillate. Early on the road transport association was warning of $2.50 in winter.
Fuel price rises are steep but rises are worse for things like fertiliser and steel.

Assuming Vic is the same as NSW (which it may not...) I believe the requirement is to be parked out of the traffic lanes.
I don't think you need to shut the car off and remove the key.
Qld rule is that the engine must be turned off, wonder how that works with an EV.🤔
From July 1st the QLD fine is doubling to $1078. Trying to match fuel prices I guess.🙄
Both Vic and NSW can leave the engine running but the vehicle must be in park.

Last edited:
Fuel price rises are steep but rises are worse for things like fertiliser and steel.
Yes a mate of mine is a general engineer and he said (earlier in the year) that over the past couple of years a wise investor would have been better off buying a shitload of steel rather than investing in gold.
Gold had risen 36% since 2019 but he said his steel prices had already gone up 40% since 2019 and his supplier had warned him that there was another significant price hike just around the corner.

I buy aluminium extrusions every now and then and they have risen quite noticeably in price too.

Nice try by a Democrat apologist to take the heat off Biden but not factually based. Under Trump America was self sufficient in oil. The main reason for the shortages and high prices of oil in America (apart from Biden's abandonment of Trump's energy policies) is his decision to impose sanctions on Russia. As usual sanctions have a blowback effect that impacts both ways . What it achieved was to create a split energy market, with shortages and high prices in NATO aligned countries while the BRICS countries like India and China enjoy plentiful supplies of low cost oil traded in national currencies. Far from bankrupting Russia, the effect of sanctions was the reverse. Russian oil and gas companies have boom times, record prices and profits. Yesterday Rosneft announced its biggest dividend ever. India is the big winner, buying up shares in Russian oil fields, increasing Russian oil imports by a factor of 25 and ensuring long term reliable supplies of cheap oil and fertiliser.
Unfortunately that all leaves Australia on the wrong side of the fuel (and fertiliser) ledger so our supplies and prices are now tied to the fortunes of the NATO alliance although hopefully not as bleak an outlook as Europe.
Current refiner margin in Europe is $US40 a barrel which is high.
Too soon to say the effect of the EU ban on seaborne Russian oil and fuel. No consensus among experts as to where energy prices will end up. As Russia supplies part of Europe with around half its refined diesel this is the first place the ban will be felt (if implemented). Let's hope they don't go shopping among our suppliers.
Industry sources indicate most European refineries are configured to process Ural crude which is a medium sour oil. Hungary argued that to reconfigure their refineries to take Middle East oil would cost 750 million euros. So European refineries will be scrambling to buy similar oil. Some Mid East oil is compatible and so are some West African oils. I don't know if the Asian refineries that supply us will have similar problems. South Korea used Oskol from Sakhalin. Doesn't look like our fuel prices will be heading down in the immediate future.