Fuel Price

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
We have been notified by the freight companies we use that charges have been increased by 20% effective immediately. Speaking to one of the operators, he said they had been told to factor in a Victorian diesel price of $2.50 a litre. He didn't expect it to hit $3.

Hi. I assume for a freight business that fuel forms a large portion of their costs, but not all. I dont have a typical breakdown but they will have labour (wages), cost of capital trucks, depots, forklifts etc. If the 20% is a surcharge on the total freight cost, then it is quite a large impost.

64.54l of diesel yesterday in Tassie to fill rented 4 door Hi Lux $131.60.
Has been getting 9.4l/100km & was 1/3 the cost of renting a small car!
A no brainer.

Some years back when there was a fuel shock from overseas disruption the companies put a fuel levy on but it was easier to take off than this increase which looks rather permanent. Chances are fuel will remain expensive for at least a year, possibly more.

The international fuel supply situation will settle down. Saudi Aramco has just signed a deal to build a 300,000 barrel a day petro chemical complex in Liaoning in North East China. Separately Rosneft has signed a deal to deliver 200,000 barrels a day of Russian oil to the province. So the deck chairs will shuffle but fuel supply will be maintained - eventually. Now who will build a new fertiliser plant?
When these crises are over and fuel is flowing again price never seems to go quite back to where it was before.

scream.jpg
That's Austrlian $ 2.80

The American grain embargo in 1980 stuffed the world grain trade for nearly a decade so let's hope this settles down sooner. Economists don't seem concerned about fuel shortages but the inflationary impact of higher fuel prices. All those nasty terms we've forgotten like recession and stagflation are talked about.
If you think fuel prices are bad don't look at fertiliser and grain prices.

I wonder if we will see an increase in LPG conversions now. It is still less than half petrol.
That's a hard one, they are predicting high prices for the next 6 to 12 months which wouldn't be long enough to regain the cost of converting to LPG (unless you're doing some serious Kms).
Certainly a vehicle with an existing conversion would be worth a go.
I might check Marketplace and see if the old dedicated LPG Fords are now selling at a premium $$$.🤷‍♂️

The LPG Falcons were a nuisance if you were operating in the country where LPG outlets were scarce but apart from that they were fine. LPG conversions on the 505 had a problem or two.

Diesel at Arana Hills in Brisbane was $2.26 / ltr this morning. That equates $136.60 to fill the 60ltr tank on my Mazda BT50.

The LPG Falcons were a nuisance if you were operating in the country where LPG outlets were scarce but apart from that they were fine. LPG conversions on the 505 had a problem or two.
I've had several dual fuel older cars (carburettored).
The nearest LPG place to me is 25kms away, so dedicated I would want switchable LPG tanks. Sort of defeats the purpose to drive 50 kms to get gas because your one and only tank is getting low, just so you can come home and drive in the other direction.
I've always run a Holley carb with a New Generation mixer on my vehicles, other than one tachometric relay failure I have never had an LPG related problem.

For those who think they are paying to much for the fuel that their chariot runs on check out these prices and you will find that there are prices that are a lot higher than ours here in Australia.

Always wondered how the French could afford to run their cars on petrol at ten shillings a gallon.

I wonder if we will see an increase in LPG conversions now. It is still less than half petrol.
Hmmm I think that horse has bolted and will not be back again !!:mad:
I have thrown away two LPG conversions over the last decade as nobody wanted them !!;)
As opposed to the actual LPG which we are almost giving away overseas. Fixed contracts probably so no benefit if the world price goes up. BAH HUMBUG. What fool gov did that deal.:mad:
Jaahn

Last edited:
I remember when we first went to Florida a number of years ago and my father-in-law was showing me around. I noticed every other vehicle was a truck/SUV and petrol powered.
I asked about diesel, "that's for "sem-eyes" was the reply.
I asked about LPG and got a blank look, I reworded the question with propane.
"That's for forklifts".
Obviously that doesn't reflect the US as a whole, especially with diesel.
I did read there are only 60,000 propane vehicles road registered in the US. Not a huge representation out of 276 million registered vehicles in total.
To put the US 60K LPG number in perspective, Australia had 200,000 LPG vehicles on the road last year out of 20.1 million total.
Mind you you the current US price for auto LPG is $3.00 a gallon compared to unleaded at $3.41 a gallon. No real incentive to convert to LPG in the first place.🤷‍♂️

Hmmm I think that horse has bolted and will not be back again !!:mad:
I have thrown away two LPG conversions over the last decade as nobody wanted them !!;)
As opposed to the actual LPG which we are almost giving away overseas. Fixed contracts probably so no benefit if the world price goes up. BAH HUMBUG. What fool gov did that deal.:mad:
Jaahn
Correction as the companies can deduct the cost of infrastructure a lot of our gas is ACTUALLY being given away for nothing.