Fuel Price

bring back carless days....when we all had different coloured stickers with day of the week on it which day we couldn't drive..

oh yeah I work from home :unsure: :coffee: so if I need to drive to the big smoke I choose the day that suits

If you fill them all up now you won't have to use either method...... :)
Mmm unfortunately with fuel only lasting 6 weeks before it starts to go off I normally only chuck just enough in for what I'm doing each time I drive them.
I had thought maybe I could use the 140L tank in the ambulance for a mini servo. I've got a 140 GPH 12V Holley pump kicking around somewhere to transfer it out. 140L would keep my daily in fuel for over a month.
My local servo was $1.69 on Friday for PULP and this morning was $2.01. I missed that boat.🤦‍♂️

The ex Shell VIVA refinery at Geelong runs foul of the EPA when it works now because the plant is so old. Stays open on government subsidy.
The way things stand with the world fuel market we should soldier on with prices widely fluctuating around where they are now until the Northern winter when supplies will be tested. The danger is if the EU and Britain decide on an immediate end to Russian oil purchases. Every time an important politician mentions it the price spikes by $10 a barrel. If that happened the EU would be chasing supplies from the producers who supply us. There would be genuine shortages and likely rationing of diesel in Europe. Futures predictions put the price around $185 a barrel which would put us on the wrong side of $3 a litre. Given that Europe already has an energy supply crisis, close to double digit inflation and talk of a recession there are reasons why matters may be left as they are for some time. Very likely rising food prices will become a more pressing issue and chase fuel industry problems off the front pages.
I've learned not to ask the price when the fuel truck comes for our monthly delivery.

Thems were the days... :LOL:

1653522332234.png

I took the DS for a drive this morning and stopped for a coffee. When I arrived there was a guy sitting in an idling dual cab diesel ute playing with his phone. I had my coffee and had a yarn with the young lady who owns the place.
When I left there was a guy sitting in an idling dual cab diesel ute playing on his phone.🤦‍♂️
Seems not everyone is concerned about the price of diesel.🤷‍♂️

I took the DS for a drive this morning and stopped for a coffee. When I arrived there was a guy sitting in an idling dual cab diesel ute playing with his phone. I had my coffee and had a yarn with the young lady who owns the place.
When I left there was a guy sitting in an idling dual cab diesel ute playing on his phone.🤦‍♂️
I spent two hours at the airport idling my Megane Diesel on Tuesday night, just to keep warm, while waiting to pick up my good lady whose plane from Queensland was delayed due to weather and storms, sadly the airline didn't update their flight schedule to advise people waiting patiently to pickup their loved ones. 8 degree C outside.

Had I known I'd have packed a hot water bag a blanket or two, and worn my woolly underwear instead, to keep observers happy too;)

Ken

A diesel at idle is about the most economical internal combustion engine parameter you can get, as I recall?

Of course he doesn't care. His fuel is paid for by you when you buy whatever he's transporting.

But do we take into account how much fuel is used when starting a cold engine until it gets up to temperature?

Kim is right and I have no exact data but from faint memory you use about 100ml of petrol to run a R12 at idle for one hour. I imagine today's cars are even better and diesels better still. So let's say for argument sake you use about half a liter an hour to run your engine. Let's say 3$/l for fuel, that's $1.50 per hour, $0.75 for half an hour. I have saved/overpaid more than that (up to $4-5) to fill up the tank depending on whether I have found the cheapest petrol or not and my tank is 60 liters. I imagine the truck would have a 100l tank or so? Hence the potential to overpay more.

Not to say I don't realise we are actually paying for all that fuel wasted.

And this is nothing compared to what's coming if we are to believe economists.

Bring on electrics.

The guy probably wasn't aware he was being monitored by the idle police.........
He's probably the sort of knob that carries on at dinner parties about "saving the planet" but thinks it's up to everyone else to do something about it.🤷‍♂️

I make no such claims, I drive inefficient gas guzzlers, but then I don't leave them running needlessly either.

Of course he doesn't care. His fuel is paid for by you when you buy whatever he's transporting.

But do we take into account how much fuel is used when starting a cold engine until it gets up to temperature?

Kim is right and I have no exact data but from faint memory you use about 100ml of petrol to run a R12 at idle for one hour. I imagine today's cars are even better and diesels better still. So let's say for argument sake you use about half a liter an hour to run your engine. Let's say 3$/l for fuel, that's $1.50 per hour, $0.75 for half an hour. I have saved/overpaid more than that (up to $4-5) to fill up the tank depending on whether I have found the cheapest petrol or not and my tank is 60 liters. I imagine the truck would have a 100l tank or so? Hence the potential to overpay more.

Not to say I don't realise we are actually paying for all that fuel wasted.

And this is nothing compared to what's coming if we are to believe economists.

Bring on electrics.
I don't know the data either but the fact that many of the modern diesels have an automatic stop/start function probably indicates they are more efficient doing this than continually idling.

When you use a diesel tractor for the minor jobs around the farm with lots of idling you realise how economical they are for that type of work compared to a petrol like a grey Fergy.

Just as a matter of interest I had a bit of a look (mainly because I had no idea) for the difference in diesel consumption with stop/start technology (as opposed to one without it) and found this recent article. Apparently it's a lot more than I had imagined!🤷‍♂️

Just as a matter of interest I had a bit of a look (mainly because I had no idea) for the difference in diesel consumption with stop/start technology (as opposed to one without it) and found this recent article. Apparently it's a lot more than I had imagined!🤷‍♂️

It's always a lot more than you imagine.

For instance, do we know that the guy idling you saw had one of these stop-start trucks? Modern technology is very reluctant to come here so I imagine, no. Hence it's moot to talk about these things.

My point was that his fuel is well paid for by us.

As for saving the planet well, forget it.

For instance, do we know that the guy idling you saw had one of these stop-start trucks?
I would say not seeing how it was stopped but kept idling for the half an hour that I saw. Although you can turn this feature off on some manufacturer's vehicles.
My point was that his fuel is well paid for by us.
I don't follow you on this "point" it was just an average Joe sitting in his twin cab ute playing on his phone? I said that in my initial post.

It is exactly the combination of average Joe and twin cab ute that makes me think contractor or some such. Hence fuel paid for by us.
Nope, just a young guy with the obligatory big wheels, bullbar, light bar, and fishing rod holders. No signwriting, racks, ladders, toolboxes etc.

I'd say his girlfriend/wife is probably one of the many that stand on the footpath at the local school catching up on the latest gossip (or perhaps discussing high fuel prices and global warming) while their compulsory Landcruisers/Pajeros/Range Rovers etc sit idling in the background with no-one in them.

The New Landrover Defender can apparently be specced with a remote start so that the vehicle is nice and toasty/iced down when you later turn up to drive it. Mmmmmmm!