D Series Fuel Inlet Fitting Fix Kit

Hi Michael. Are you sure you have the right kit for the Weber 28/36 DMA,DLE carburettor ?. When I bought mine about 10 yaers ago from a place in Thornbury, Melbourne called Thornbury Carburettor Services,there were two paper gaskets( For different types of 28/36). a needle and seat,of the same type and dimension as the original,and a small paper gasket,rectangular in shape,but no rubber O rings. I hope you have good luck re fitting the 4 nuts that secure the carb on the manifold,the rear nuts close to the cylinder head,are a real pain,because there is no room to use a socket/ring spanner or open end spanner. Cheers Joe

Thanks Joe,

Those rear nuts are a real pain aren't they! Then again it is a Citroen.

Yeah, I think the rubber bits were a ring in. The rest of the parts are good though and the needle valve is clearly an improved design (it has a spring loaded ball that makes contact with the top of the float) and yes, it had the two top gaskets to cover both models. Strangely I bought it on Ebay from a vendor in Holland for around $40 delivered but on arrival the packaging says "Packed in Australia".

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310355530736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyway, the car is running well now and hopefully it has improved the economy and reliability. Not so likely to burst into flames either with a proper screwed in fuel fitting!

Thanks Joe,

Those rear nuts are a real pain aren't they! Then again it is a Citroen.

Yeah, I think the rubber bits were a ring in. The rest of the parts are good though and the needle valve is clearly an improved design (it has a spring loaded ball that makes contact with the top of the float) and yes, it had the two top gaskets to cover both models. Strangely I bought it on Ebay from a vendor in Holland for around $40 delivered but on arrival the packaging says "Packed in Australia".

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310355530736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyway, the car is running well now and hopefully it has improved the economy and reliability. Not so likely to burst into flames either with a proper screwed in fuel fitting!
Hi Michael. I can see that you did buy the right carb. gasket kit. It seems to be an improved version to the one I bought in 1999,and believe it or not,your carb. kit was actaully cheaper that the one I bought in 1999 ( I paid $59 for it),amazing how much cheaper parts can sometimes be when buying on ebay from overseas. I think the reason, why the kit states that it's packed in Australia,is because it most probably is made and packed in Australia. So your kit has had quite a long trip( made here,sent to Holland,returned to Australia ). Did you have to adjust the gap,between the brass floats and the base of the top of the carb. (including paper gasket,gap 4.75 -5.00 mm ) in the needle closed position ?. I ask you this because I had to adjust mine,when I replaced the needle and seat. If the car is running well,it means you have done a good job. Cheers Joe:cheers:

Thanks Richo,

I picked up the fittings today from the PO. I have the old pressed-in fitting removed and frankly it did not take much effort to do so even thought the previous owner had refitted it using epoxy adhesive. I am glad I had wire on it!

I have given the carb a good clean and blasted it with baking soda. It has cleaned without making it shiny which suits me fine. The main advantage is no residual grit... just a funny taste in the mouth. :)

Tomorrow I will fit the new part plus a new carb gasket kit. There are two small O rings in the kit for which I have not yet found a home (but I will look more closely) and the needle valve is of a different design but has the same dimensions so should be fine.

Michael,
The two small rubber "O" rings are for the idle jet holders ?

Thanks Richo,

I picked up the fittings today from the PO. I have the old pressed-in fitting removed and frankly it did not take much effort to do so even thought the previous owner had refitted it using epoxy adhesive. I am glad I had wire on it!

I have given the carb a good clean and blasted it with baking soda. It has cleaned without making it shiny which suits me fine. The main advantage is no residual grit... just a funny taste in the mouth. :)

Tomorrow I will fit the new part plus a new carb gasket kit. There are two small O rings in the kit for which I have not yet found a home (but I will look more closely) and the needle valve is of a different design but has the same dimensions so should be fine.

Michael,

Some Weber models used an 0-ring to seal off the secondary jet holders (DCNF's on SM's for example). The ones used on D's did not. The needle valves currently available that fit our carbs can some times be a bit taller than the originals. May require a somewhat substantial change to the shape and position of the brass stop tabs on the float to get the required opening and closing distances.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Joe and "Wilderbeast" (!),

My float needed a little tweaking to arrive at the proper dimensions but the replacement needle valve was certainly close to the same dimensions as the original. I was not too stressed about the extra O rings as it was clear the kit was made to fit multiple carb models.

I was on the verge of putting my carb on a mill to true up the bottom flange when I realized that the fiber spacer between the carb and manifold had been deformed to an exact fit to the bowed flange, presumably from over tightened nuts, so I simply replaced as is with the new paper gaskets each side of the spacer. The top of the carb was also distorted by over tightened screws and may take a little tweaking to seal properly.

Hopefully there will be quite a few people playing with carb cleaning and adjustment as Richo's excellent fuel inlet modifications get fitted.

carby inlet fitting

Mine also arrived today, nicely packaged (sans Vita-Weat, though!) - thanks Richo.

I look forward to removing the scruffy bit of wire currently preventing the standard fitting (and fuel line) coming adrift.

Yes - and reinstalling the mechanical fan, thermostat, undertray and brake ducts!

Chris

Taps arrived in the mail today.
Kits will be made up tonight and in the post tomorrow.
Thanks everyone.

You're a champ Richo, :headbang:

Rest easy in the knowledge that you may have saved at least one but probably more Ds from a devastating fate. Remarkable how many put their hands up for the modification meaning these cars even with the security wire holding the fuel line were ticking time bombs.

Pat yourself on the back and have a few :adrink: :adrink:

Edit: I'll take a set from the next batch if you get the numbers, will fit to my spare carby :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Hi Richo,

Just saw this post. It is of great interest to me as I have had the petrol line slip out once, warm motor and 38C...

The other time I was not so lucky, had a fire and it took 6 coats of paint stripper to remove the gunge.

I am very interested in 3 kits for:

32 ICT Manual Choke Weber;

32/35 DFV Manual Choke Weber;

28/36 DCD Manual Choke Weber.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Fred

Hi Richo,

Just saw this post. It is of great interest to me as I have had the petrol line slip out once, warm motor and 38C...

The other time I was not so lucky, had a fire and it took 6 coats of paint stripper to remove the gunge.

I am very interested in 3 kits for:

32 ICT Manual Choke Weber;

32/35 DFV Manual Choke Weber;

28/36 DCD Manual Choke Weber.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Fred

Fred, as long as the inlet tube sizes are all the same as those on the D series I might consider doing further kits. The Ds take a 5/16" fuel line.
There seems to be further interest in reviving these kits.
For anyone who is interested, please post on this thread and if sufficient interest, I'll try to do the kits.

The cost however, like everything else these days will be higher.

Last edited:
Hi, that seems fine. 3 kits please. How much do I owe you and how would you like to be paid?

Kind regards, Fred.

I would love to look at one and admire the workmanship, but I know it won't fit my car. I suspect I have the only Citroen in Australia with a Zenith carby, and its inlet is secured with a banjo bolt. So don't put me down for one.

Roger

Hi Richo,

I'm in for 1 kit plus 2 extras please. Covers my ID, GS and one "twinkle in the eye" at some point in the future. Will send funds.

Cheers and a huge thank you again for your dedication, quality products and great service.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Richo,

Money should be in your account on Friday.

Kind regards,

Fred.

Just ordered a kit for my '69 DS. I am new to Citroen's and have a lot to learn.

Thank you to Richo for developing this kit. I had a carb inlet come out of a VW years ago. It must have pumped 3 gallons of fuel all over the engine with just enough spraying into the carb to keep it running. Luckily no fire.

Paul