D Series Fuel Inlet Fitting Fix Kit

richo

Fellow Frogger
The repair kit to replace your leaking (or potentially so) fuel inlet fitting is now to hand.
The kit fits either the Weber as fitted to the later 21 and 23 engines as well as the Solex fitted to the D Specials. If your D was built from 1966 to 1974 then this kit fits.

It consists of
1 Excellent quality,HSS cutting tap to cut a thread for the new fitting. NO drilling required.
1 fuel inlet fitting
1 fuel injection type Norma clamp for 5/16" fuel hose.
No special tools required, a shifter will work on the square head of the tap

IMG_9813_1242X2208.JPG

This will be packed a tidy little snap lock bag and posted to your address
for $30.

The original fitting is removed, twisting with a pair of pliers usually works fine.
If it nearly falls out, you are saving your car today!

I recommend removing the carburetor top and then tapping the thread required,
BUT others will simply slap some grease on the tap
then gently and carefully, making certain the tap is square to the hole,
turn the threading tap a couple of turns, remove the tap, clean off the swarf,
put some fresh grease on, thread some more until the job is done.

IMG_9814_1242X2208.JPG

At the very least, remove the filter nut at the top left side of the unit and block
the access. You can also gain access to clean out swarf.

A small amount of thread tape, probably one wrapped turn will be sufficient.
or
Apply some liquid thread sealant.
Then thread the new fitting into place, with your 11mm or 7/16" wrench.

I prefer to also use a hose clamp on the new fitting,
even though the barbs will hold the plot, no worries.

Payment may be by money order, cash discreetly hidden in an envelope, Paypal ( +$2 ) or Direct Deposit to a bank account. $30 includes postage.
Extra fittings @ $12 each if you have more than one car and are buying a kit.
I don't generally sell the fittings alone.
New Zealand owners, please add another $10 for postage. Australia Post is obviously doing it tough these days.

For sales in the UK and Europe, contact Citroen Classics by simply clicking the link... Citroen Classics UK

Please PM or email me richardofwitsend@gmail.com for snail mail or Paypal address.

Thanks for your support.
If this manages to prevent just one under bonnet fire I'll be a happy bloke.

Last edited:
Richo will these things work on a 32/34 PBIC/
Cheers Gerry:cheers:

Yep, if there the same as Bob kit :) I'm glad Richo took this task on .... Some of us are known for saying " I'll do that " .................... and never getting to it :clown:

seeya,
Shane L.

Same as the "Bob" kit, as explained in the thread from a month ago.

One kit remains unsold, plus a few fittings.

All kits in the post as of today.
Thanks to those who asked for them to be made, then supported this effort by buying the product offered.

This is what happens if you don't replace that loose brass pipe.

Attachments

• AUT_0014.JPG
    AUT_0014.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • AUT_0009.JPG
    AUT_0009.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 593
Can you put me down for TWO of the next batch please?

They look like a great remedy to a real problem. Far better than the wire holding the lines in place currently on my carbies.:D

I would like two of the kits as well. This is a great fix to known problem which could occur at any time with such old cars.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks to the three "Rs" (Ross, Richard and Roger) for putting their hands up.
I've placed the order for more taps, they'll be three weeks or so to arrive.
Meantime I'll set some time aside to start machining again.

Please, keep the request/orders coming.

Hi Richard
As previously discussed put me down for 1 kit plus 2 fittings.
Cheers
Philippe

Hi Richo,
As discussed I'll put my name down for 1 kit - it's for a spare carby so I can go to the bottom of the list if orders are filling fast :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Well there's mine done! :) The tap is excellent.. it was like tapping butter. Perfect fit.. no more leaks, no ugly wire!

Many thanks Mr Kennedy for your time and skill. Always appreciated.

Matthew:)

Attachments

• 100_0705.jpg
    100_0705.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 603
UPDATE 25/11:
I think the final orders are to hand, just waiting confirmation from a NZ owner.
Taps are ordered as of now and the machining of the fittings will be completed
on the weekend.

Hi Richo,
I have received confirmation of the order for two kits and four additional fittings as discussed.

Cheers, Praveen

Thanks Richo,

I picked up the fittings today from the PO. I have the old pressed-in fitting removed and frankly it did not take much effort to do so even thought the previous owner had refitted it using epoxy adhesive. I am glad I had wire on it!

I have given the carb a good clean and blasted it with baking soda. It has cleaned without making it shiny which suits me fine. The main advantage is no residual grit... just a funny taste in the mouth. :)

Tomorrow I will fit the new part plus a new carb gasket kit. There are two small O rings in the kit for which I have not yet found a home (but I will look more closely) and the needle valve is of a different design but has the same dimensions so should be fine.

Hi Michael. Are you sure you have the right kit for the Weber 28/36 DMA,DLE carburettor ?. When I bought mine about 10 yaers ago from a place in Thornbury, Melbourne called Thornbury Carburettor Services,there were two paper gaskets( For different types of 28/36). a needle and seat,of the same type and dimension as the original,and a small paper gasket,rectangular in shape,but no rubber O rings. I hope you have good luck re fitting the 4 nuts that secure the carb on the manifold,the rear nuts close to the cylinder head,are a real pain,because there is no room to use a socket/ring spanner or open end spanner. Cheers Joe