Car ID

Overfinch,
Once again if you only lived in in the next street......
I have two grilles hanging on my lockup wall. The plastic clips are a weak point. The retaining screw is a must.

How goes it with the ignition conversion. What news from Simon?

The trapezoidal headlights aren't as common on 504's in Aus. I have the twin headlights on mine, cheaper to replace.
I have found on previous 504's that the "trap" lights aren't very effective. The clever comment was that at anything over 40.mph the 504 would overtake the light beam!:crazy:

That's bad luck. Can you get another one easily?

Overfinch,
Once again if you only lived in in the next street......
I have two grilles hanging on my lockup wall. The plastic clips are a weak point. The retaining screw is a must.

How goes it with the ignition conversion. What news from Simon?

The trapezoidal headlights aren't as common on 504's in Aus. I have the twin headlights on mine, cheaper to replace.
I have found on previous 504's that the "trap" lights aren't very effective. The clever comment was that at anything over 40.mph the 504 would overtake the light beam!:crazy:
No words mate. Could do with one of those. I am yet to see a 504 with the twin headlights. Overtake the beam? That would be interesting to see. Is it physically possible to overtake light?[emoji23]

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

The car stalled at some point yesterday while I was out and about on the highway. I had had it serviced this week (dead plugs and 'crude' oil). After servicing I did a run with the mechanic and complained to the mechanic about loss of power.
Anyway, the stalling forced me to veer off the road. Luckily, I was close to a fuel station. Before calling the mechanic, I popped the hood and noticed the carby was dripping some fuel. The smell of fuel was also quite noticeable in the cabin. I then called a mechanic over and after fiddling with the engine for a bit, he pulled out the fuel line to the carburetor at the fuel pump and bled a bit of fuel then asked me to turn on the car and it started. He then reset the car's idle. I didn't have any issues onwards and power was noticeably increased. Can idle setting 'choke' the car? Any theories about what might have happened?

Last edited:
I had a very helpful exchange with Simon. Unfortunately, he asked me to remove the distributor entirely. Now this posed a problem because my mechanic would not have a clue of what to do if removing the distributor affected timing in any way (does it?). I guess that's where we stalled with that aspect. I will embark on it as soon as I find someone who can confidently remove the dizzy and return it once I have the details I need for Simon.

In Australia, the twin headlights were part of local content requirements from 1973 (I think) onwards.

Overfinch,
In the absence of Pete ["we don't know where he are"] Allow me to help with the dizzy removal.

We've established yours to be a Bosch distributor? No matter the same method of removal applies.
Locate No 1 cylinder on the dist cap, mark with white paint*. Remove cap, rotate engine until the rotor points to that position. If I recall the Bosch will have a small notch indicating this. If not mark with paint also.
Now on the outside of the dist near the clamp, mark with paint. Make a corresponding mark where the dist enters the engine.
Remove the small wire at the dist. Loosen the clamp bolt, remove the distributor.

After getting the information requested by Simon it should be a simple matter of refitting the dist by observing the paint marks.
The distributor shaft has a key that will only enter one way so there are are no gear teeth to line up when refitting.

Refit the ignition wire and the cap. On starting the timing should be as before.

* I have always marked the No 1 plug wire with a small cable tie.

I have seen later models of the 504, including year 2000 model. These still came with the trapezoidal headlights

I think the twin headlights were unique to Australia.

Extremely helpful Sir. That should be a perfect guide. What about the fuel pump overflow issue I was inquiring about? Any leads on that? As below..

.......................................The car stalled at some point yesterday while I was out and about on the highway. I had had it serviced this week (dead plugs and 'crude' oil). After servicing I did a run with the mechanic and complained to the mechanic about loss of power.
Anyway, the stalling forced me to veer off the road. Luckily, I was close to a fuel station. Before calling the mechanic, I popped the hood and noticed the carby was dripping some fuel. The smell of fuel was also quite noticeable in the cabin. I then called a mechanic over and after fiddling with the engine for a bit, he pulled out the fuel line to the carburetor at the fuel pump and bled a bit of fuel then asked me to turn on the car and it started. He then reset the car's idle. I didn't have any issues onwards and power was noticeably increased. Can idle setting 'choke' the car? Any theories about what might have happened?........................................

Extremely helpful Sir. That should be a perfect guide. What about the fuel pump overflow issue I was inquiring about? Any leads on that? As below..

.......................................The car stalled at some point yesterday while I was out and about on the highway. I had had it serviced this week (dead plugs and 'crude' oil). After servicing I did a run with the mechanic and complained to the mechanic about loss of power.
Anyway, the stalling forced me to veer off the road. Luckily, I was close to a fuel station. Before calling the mechanic, I popped the hood and noticed the carby was dripping some fuel. The smell of fuel was also quite noticeable in the cabin. I then called a mechanic over and after fiddling with the engine for a bit, he pulled out the fuel line to the carburetor at the fuel pump and bled a bit of fuel then asked me to turn on the car and it started. He then reset the car's idle. I didn't have any issues onwards and power was noticeably increased. Can idle setting 'choke' the car? Any theories about what might have happened?........................................

Overfinch,
Not much to offer re your fuel problem other than a couple of basics.
The carburetor idle jet may have picked up some dirt likewise the float needle and seat assembly being held open [dirt under seat].
The latter would have caused 'flooding', fuel around carb. and smell.
I don't know what your mechanic achieved by removing the fuel line?
Has your 504 got a fuel filter? Best placed on the tank side [inlet] of the pump. There is a fine gauze strainer at the carb inlet.

The query re the idle setting 'choking' the engine. Only if it is idling too slow or the idle mixture adjustment is too rich.

I hope my previous post on setting the distributor wasn't too wordy along with the paint marking.
If it doesn't work out you could always put it up as an exhibit in the next African Art Show!:tongue:

Johnno,
The headlight choice in the "New World" came about because they could not come to grips with the trapezoidal type. Volvo and others had to fit twin headlights to comply.

Exactly, along with Renault 12, 15, 16, 17 and 20/30, Citroen DS, CX and SM and no doubt others. US safety regulations. The good outcome for me was our Renault Virage (an Australian R12 with the Canadian front if I recall) when I put good Hella lamps in - fabulous lights!!

Spotted this beauty somewhere in Nairobi 1487482400028.jpg
6c5a01129e2ee987ea3cfd64b5d6cf07.jpg
1487482422771.jpg

Hello good people. I almost fell off the face of the planet there. Its been a while since I brought you up to speed with my side of events. Well, I fitted an Audi exhaust (terrible idea) which had to come off and I got a proper and new gleaming exhaust. I'll post a picture soon. I then had a negative terminal problem that caused starting problems but it got sorted out by a wiring pro. I've been losing coolant a lot of late. So yesterday in the height of idleness, me and my mechanic set about taking off the cylinder head.

07ca8588495a19914bd3fdef1cdadb85.jpg

836639c93d59a0c3394b92bd6a1c281a.jpg

590210bde7f68349a41355a5a3a89159.jpg

Cylinder Head and block were in a sorry state. However, there are no issues with how the pistons seal.

97781fc52acc176f8d8e110f79491b4c.jpg

Lo and behold! Flooded cylinders. Head went for a grind today. Came back shiny
e468cd747d11ddbdff14da9425afe0e9.jpg

Last edited:
Overfinch,
It looks like the head guy removed the minimum from the head, no bad thing.
It doesn't look like he has done any cleaning after machining. A good blow out of the bolt holes and anywhere that may be hiding grit etc.
A good strong degreaser accompanied by a wire brush will give the job a professional look to the head.

I think I may have emphasized the importance of cleaning any assembly before dismantling. I was taken to task because of this.:eek:

Pssst. Make sure you fit the head gasket correctly. An easy mistake to make.

Overfinch,
It looks like the head guy removed the minimum from the head, no bad thing.
It doesn't look like he has done any cleaning after machining. A good blow out of the bolt holes and anywhere that may be hiding grit etc.
A good strong degreaser accompanied by a wire brush will give the job a professional look to the head.

I think I may have emphasized the importance of cleaning any assembly before dismantling. I was taken to task because of this.:eek:

Pssst. Make sure you fit the head gasket correctly. An easy mistake to make.
Hello Wildebeest,

Cleaning was done before reassembly. Haven't heard it rev yet. Can't wait. Are there significant gains (performance or otherwise) I can look forward to as a result of the grind?