Car ID

If you remove the dash top you should be able to see enough to identify leaks either because there are tell tale signs such as rust or by having someone wet all over the windscreen with a hose while you look inside for water ingress.

Compared to modern glued in windscreens, 504 windscreens tend to have sealing problems.

If you find that it's leaking this way then you may well have to remove the windscreen to check for rust as well as taking steps to seal it in properly. In the past, I've used one of the Sikaflex polyurethane products to completely seal it, although I can't remember which one.

Overfinch,
A possibility that is coolant leaking from the heater area. Hose. Heater tap or the matrix.:mad:
Oh... The plenum chamber below the windscreen may have rusted through allowing rain water ingress. See Peter's post *121 above.

Overfinch,
A possibility that is coolant leaking from the heater area. Hose. Heater tap or the matrix.:mad:
Oh... The plenum chamber below the windscreen may have rusted through allowing rain water ingress. See Peter's post *121 above.
Hello Wildebeest, been a while. I haven't lost any coolant since the head resurfacing. So I doubt that that's the problem. When it rains especially, my feet get some light showers. And when its stationary in the rain, the puddle on the driver's side forms. I think the plenum, windscreen and dashboard will have to come off for this job. A little bird rumoured that my slave driver (employer) might throw some extra coin my way. If that happens, I will definitely accelerate this restoration project and get thus old gal in some immaculate shape. I may be tempted to accommodate a willing frogger over in Africa for this project so that we can get this pug done properly (would be quite an experience). Volunteers?

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

Take the plenum cover off, and check that the drain and the drain pipe aren't blocked. If they're blocked and it rains, the water will overflow either into the heater unit or the outboard foot vents.

If you don't feel like pulling the cover off, pull off the drain hose in the centre of the engine bay against the firewall and check for crud.

Hi there guys. Massive news. I have a new carby! And the results are profound. I hereby dedicate this post to the old carby that served diligently for 29 odd years.

Old

b73173590ac811bfcec05c8515af0b12.jpg
1495905421287.jpg1495905437374.jpg

New

1495905455098.jpg

Hello guys. Sunny intervals in Nairobi. Its a public holiday over here.
Another step in the right direction with new lead wires, ignition coil, windscreen washer pump. I had an engine misfire that was sorted out. What's pending now is a tapping noise that the mechanics attribute to the pushrod needing some attention

Overfinch.
Any more news from Simon?

We can't let this thread drop off !:wink2:
No chance of it dropping off Wildebeest. I need to take the distributor off but need to find someone who can put it back in without any issues. In other news, there has been some progress.

ab4c8877815c5e2026436a8ec5b86bb2.jpg
12a84bf16fdc7661af9e7dad4019dc84.jpg

Old shocks a came off.

1496562287638.jpg1496562319568.jpg

New strut inserts are in.

Overfinch.
The suggested procedure for removing/replacing the distributor. Go back to Page 4. Post No 90.
I see that your new coil has the ballast resistor attached? If so the coil wont be compatible with Simon's ignition kit.:cry:

Can we have a pic of your new carburetor?

Overfinch.
The suggested procedure for removing/replacing the distributor. Go back to Page 4. Post No 90.
I see that your new coil has the ballast resistor attached? If so the coil wont be compatible with Simon's ignition kit.:cry:

Can we have a pic of your new carburetor?

I have a wiring problem guys. My starter has been repaired and re repaired this past weekend and it still acting up. Would you recommend a new starter or should I repair the old one? Not that straightforward cost wise I'm afraid......

Not sure if you've mentioned the starter in previous posts, but exactly what are the symptoms?

The starter is acting up. Wind very slowly on ignition. It was taken off and apparently 'serviced', but the symptom persists. At times it just seizes altogether. The mechanics at times take to tapping it firmly with any tool at hand, and then it obliges...until the next seizure episode. Quite embarrassing when it stalls.

I'm not sure whether this is related but my headlights at intervals are not bright enough and the horn sounds like someone under the hood is choking the life out of it. When the car is off, they (lights and horn) work normally again.

Could be the solenoid or brushes, or both.