Car ID

Overfinch,
Where do we start?

I understand that the "123" ignition system has more features than the "Power Spark". The latter would be the best for you, financial position etc.
The "PowerSpark" unit cost me about A$70. Sent from the UK
I notice your system has a ballast resistor attached to the coil. You would need to replace this with a more common 12 volt coil. Peugeot specifies the ballast resisted coil for tropical countries.
I've never seen one on a Peugeot sold in Australia ?
If considering a "Power Spark" unit you will need to specify the brand of the distributor ie Bosch or Ducellier. They are simple to fit some care needs to be taken with the coil connections.

I don't want to seem critical but you really need to give the engine etc a thorough clean up. I say this because you mentioned starting difficulties. Any moisture [wet weather] will cling to dirt/dust causing ignition leakage and poor starts.

"Alanquin" is the French brand of shock absorbers. As noted previously I may have the spelling wrong.:disappr: Have you tried other makers? I understand "Gabriel" are known in Africa.

Back in the day we would identify badly worn front wheel bearings by road testing, by moving the car from one side of the road to the other if any noise showed up it was a good chance the bearings were on the way out.
The other way was to raise the car, jack or hoist, spin the front wheel/s and listen for noise. You will need to make sure the brakes aren't dragging.
The only other/proper way is to remove the wheel hubs take out the bearings, clean thoroughly [kero or diesel] then inspect looking for chipped rollers or balls and their races. If replacing clean out the hubs then repack including the bearings with suitable grease.
Don't overtighten the hub nut/s.

By 'riding the brakes' I meant while driving just lightly apply the brakes to hear if there is a change or not of the noises you've mentioned.

The radiator shroud, yes if you can locate one. I have run my 504 without for a short time. Never noticed any dramatic changes. My system has a reconditioned radiator, correct thermostat and correct 4 lb/ radiator cap. [check yours]. The previous owner/s have locked up[welded] the magnetic fan:mad: I've yet to address this.

You certainly have had a "swag" of issues with the 504. Not unusual even in Aus. The good thing with most early Peugeots is that you can see a "light at the end of the tunnel".:wink2:

Keep up the photos etc.
Yours
Wildebeest

Hi Wildebeest

Would you be referring to this?
153645d9d05a9d521c3dcc4bec31f3d2.jpg

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

Overfinch.
Yes. I think that one is marketed in the US. Mine is identical, different name marketed from the UK.
I think they both also offer a coli to suit. Give it some consideration.

Hi folks,

Here is a better picture of the carburetor area. The clamp below the air filter cap has a habit of coming undone. Apart from ensuring the fastening is proper, is there anything else I need to do to this area?

b612dadf4b42e8d377415643696266a1.jpg
2b0189c2420b10e0118d3715b9400a62.jpg

This is a type air filter not fitted to Australian 504s. Maybe not a very good design but would a new clamp be the answer?

Hi mate

What kind of a coil would I be looking at for this electric ignition conversion?

Overfinch,
I lost my original reply, here goes again.
A normal 12 volt coil not one for ballast resisted or electronic ignitions. Mine uses a Bosch, the French manufactured Peugeot have Ducellier or SEV.
Your present coil looks to be a ballast resisted type, this means that they run on 12 volt for starting, switching to 9 volt for running.

The air cleaner. Clean any oil from the large clamping area and at the carburetor. Inside and out.
Make sure the three ? rubber mounts on the main body of the filter aren't perished or broken. [I see a weld repair near the front one] Check that the body of the filter hasn't broken away from its support. This happened on the 404 oil bath filters.

Overfinch,
A normal 12 volt coil not one for ballast resisted or electronic ignitions. Mine uses a Bosch, the French manufactured Peugeot have Ducellier or SEV.
Your present coil looks to be a ballast resisted type, this means that they run on 12 volt for starting, switching to 9 volt for running.

The air cleaner. Clean any oil from the large clamping area and at the carburetor. Inside and out.
Make sure the three ? rubber mounts on the main body of the filter aren't perished or broken. [I see a weld repair near the front one] Check that the body of the filter hasn't broken away from its support. This happened on the 404 oil bath filters.
Hi there mate,

Hope you are keeping well. In a conundrum here. I have no clue which kit to buy. I have a colleague who is the USA jetting back on Friday. I want her to get me the conversion. Must be cheaper than shipping. I'm looking at a myriad of conversions online. Which should I order? Does the answer lie underneath my distributor cap? Don't mind, still earning my stripes. Please advise

NB: This is the hotspark unit.

def40850f192e88a2313e42dc5fe467e.jpg

Last edited:
Overfinch,

This is the inside of my distributor and a picture of the ignition coil as well.

Attachments

• 1479840030833.jpg
    1479840030833.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 1479840051458.jpg
    1479840051458.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 1479840071969.jpg
    1479840071969.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1479840089014.jpg
    1479840089014.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 230
Yes, that's the part I mean. With the proper clamps it should stay in place unless the clamps are faulty or something isn't original and doesn't line up corrrectly. It's very important.

If it's not too much of a hassle, I'd be interested to see some other photos of the car including the interior to see what the differences between it and my old retired '80 504 are.
Hi Pete,

The interior photos as promised.

Attachments

• 1479877628937.jpg
    1479877628937.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 1479877649708.jpg
    1479877649708.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 1479877667133.jpg
    1479877667133.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 1479877680954.jpg
    1479877680954.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 249
Overfinch,
Looking at your series of ignition parts photos it would appear to be a Bosch distributor with 2 piece points and vac. advance.
I could get a better idea if the dist. rotor had been lifted off.
If ordering a kit from HotSpark find the model and make of the distributor stamped on its body. This will help them and your friend.

The coil is the ballast resistored type. The ballast resistor is attached to the coil. Instruction given will ask you to discard the condenser.

The interior photos look similar to the early 505 as sold in Aus.

Overfinch,
Looking at your series of ignition parts photos it would appear to be a Bosch distributor with 2 piece points and vac. advance.
If ordering a kit from HotSpark find the model and make of the distributor stamped on its body. This will help them and your friend.

The coil is the ballast resistored type. The ballast resistor is attached to the coil. Instruction given will ask you to discard the condenser.

Here are some better pictures. Couldn't see a number anywhere

Overfinch,

Here are some better pictures. Couldn't see a number anywhere on this contraption 😂. The only thing I saw was 'Made in France' on the fuse like golden coloured attachment.

Attachments

• 1479923500054.jpg
    1479923500054.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 1479923526167.jpg
    1479923526167.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 246
  • 1479923612486.jpg
    1479923612486.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 238
Overfinch,
The points fitted are Bosch, note the symbol. The rest of the distributor mechanism looks like Bosch also.
The "golden coloured" attachment is the condenser.

On the "HotSpark" Google site it shows good fitting instructions. I'm surprised yours doesn't have any make and model markings?
It will definately help when ordering.
If it were the Ducellier kit there is only one type specified .

All the best to You and your Friend.

Overfinch,
The points fitted are Bosch, note the symbol. The rest of the distributor mechanism looks like Bosch also.
The "golden coloured" attachment is the condenser.

On the "HotSpark" Google site it shows good fitting instructions. I'm surprised yours doesn't have any make and model markings?
It will definately help when ordering.
If it were the Ducellier kit there is only one type specified .

All the best to You and your Friend.
So it's definitely the 2 piece point with vacuum advance?

Overfinch,
Yes. As per picture no 3 in your post *27.

You'd better get a move on if your friend has to order/purchase the unit for you.:banana:

I await the outcome. Will offer further assistance if required.

Its sadly become an impossible job. I'm looking towards the UK now with the hope that Powerspark (through Simonbbc - UK) can help me get the unit and a suitable coil. I might pull through a DHL shipment. I've read something about positive earth and negative earth. Does this have any relation to ignition system in the 504? Thanks for the guidance thus far.

Last edited:
Overfinch,
The 504 is a negative earth system.
Simonbbc UK [PowerSpark] have a good fast postage and quick e-mail replies.
The same applies when ordering, give them all the model details. The coil they advertise should remove any doubts you may have.
They can do you a new rotor to complete the package.:wink2:

Once again,
Regards, Wildebeest.

PS. You could point out to them the "HotSpark" illustration No 3 when ordering ?

Overfinch,
The 504 is a negative earth system.
Simonbbc UK [PowerSpark] have a good fast postage and quick e-mail replies.
The same applies when ordering, give them all the model details. The coil they advertise should remove any doubts you may have.
They can do you a new rotor to complete the package.:wink2:

Once again,
Regards, Wildebeest.

PS. You could point out to them the "HotSpark" illustration No 3 when ordering ?
Hi guys,

Liaising with Simon on the conversion kit. They are quite thorough. I'll have a mechanic take the distributor off tomorrow as they want those pictures as well. In the meantime, new wheel bearings going in tomorrow. The old ones were shot.
6e815a1bceb079337981ec1890793910.jpg

Overfinch,
I didn't want to complicate the issue when posting earlier.
Before removing your distributor have the rotor point to No 1 cylinder on the dist. body.* Also mark the distributor position before removing from the block, scratch mark or paint dot. Also mark the front pulley with paint.
Remember No 1 cylinder is at the rear [flywheel] end of the engine. All this will simplify the basic timing for start up.

* If I recall Bosch distributors have a notch on the body indicating No 1 cyl.
Once again,
All the best.

Last edited: