Australian 16v205 register

Wondering?

I'm wondering if there are any French car loving web designers who could add a feature to this site so we could put up individual cars with a nicely designed photo gallery, information, and comments section. Then I'm sure we'd get a lot more people taking the time to putting their info in.
QUOTE]

I was wondering too.:)

Thought you guys might appreciate this pic. It was one of many pics taken of my old girl years ago for a Motor Magazine comparo between the 205, 206 and 207 GTi.

She was standard back then, before Mi16 and GTi6 conversion.

Great photographer.

6ba91dfd.jpg

What mag?

Which magazine and what issue? I wouldn't mind tracking down a back issue.

Great pic!

I'll see if I can dig out a copy tomorrow. Was a fair few years ago though.

This was my 205 after GTi6 conversion. Miss it.

6-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

engine.jpg

172777207-M.jpg

Mate also brought his 180 along for the Motor mag day. Got to thrash the 207 press car around for the day. Nice :)

conversions

Silver_GTi6 ...

..You mentioned you had an 8 valve; an Mi16 conversion and later a Gti6 conversion... since you have ha all three, what are the differences.. and what are the good and bad points of each?

regards
Geopug

Hey mate,

There was a heap of info before we lost all the forum data, but I guess my thoughts in brief:

8v - heaps of fun around town, felt nice n torquey, but just not the same in high revs. Still an absolute hoot to drive.

Mi16 - mine was a 1.9 and I left the BE1 gearbox fitted, so had the long second gear. Felt obviously quicker up high, still light at the front end, but I didn't consider it to be a rocketship. That said, a lot was prob due to the fact that the engine was standard and I had the long gear ratios (and diff). Also had stiffer engine mounts which transferred a lot of vibration to the cabin.

GTi6 - was an absolute beast. Smoother engine mounts, used the BE3 (I think) mi16 box with diff ratio. Engine sounded better, felt better, accelerated much harder, had more torque down low but did slightly change the dynamics at the front of the car a little...not too much to worry though. Engine was standard but made 101kwatw on dyno. Was my fav for sure. Absolutely loved the little beast and still wished I had it.

I realise this is not detailed at all, and is purely based on my memory of my car, but just a quick response as requested. I'm also sure things have moved on a little since I owned mine...

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
Come on fellas'

Get your compression ratios up and start cam'ing up :joker:

A couple of times I've wondered about selling up on the 8 valve and going twin cam.

Maybe an 8V thread, Laure?

Chris

I'm wondering if there are any French car loving web designers who could add a feature to this site so we could put up individual cars with a nicely designed photo gallery, information, and comments section. Then I'm sure we'd get a lot more people taking the time to putting their info in.

But don't get me wrong, I don't want to disparage the efforts that have gone into this thread - it's a very noble cause!

Well thats kinda me, although i'm a developer rather than designer.

I would be up for it a bit later in the year, i have some outside of full time work deadlines so i can gather extra money to fix my 205... then i'll have to fix my 205... then i could do something :)

Shane

I acquired recently. its grey, S2, has XU9J4 motor. I believe it came down from cairns. I will have to look in the data given to me to see who did it. When the conversion was done it was a track car (the 2nd Previous owner) but the guy i bought it off had to do a couple of mods to get it roadworthy again.

It's now in Brisbane.

Just found this - can confirm my existence...

USERNAME - Patpug
PREVIOUS OWNER - Issy of Wollongong
STATE/LOCATION - NSW
BUILD DATE - '92
MODIFICATION COMPLETION DATE - Never
ORIGINAL MODEL - S3
OWNED SINCE - 2008
COLOUR - white
SEATS - std S3
SUNROOF - nope
INTERIOR - all std
ROLL CAGE -
ENGINE - xu10j4rs
VALVES - 16 brand new ones!
CAPACITY - 2.0
INDUCTION - NA
SUPERCHARGER/TURBOCHARGER - N/A
INLET CAM - PeterT p1
EXHAUST CAM - PeterT p1
PISTONS - std xu10j4rs
COMPRESSION - unknown, but engine rebuilt with hone, new rings, bearings and full head overhaul
INTERCOOLER - N/A
INLET MANIFOLD - j4rs with some of the fittings blanked
EXHAUST MANIFOLD - j4rs
INJECTORS - j4rs
CARBURETORS - N/A
AIRFILTER - pod
FUEL PUMP - std 205 gti
SUMP - j4rs with some ground off to make it fit! Also has 'special' oil pump spring
ECU - Haltech - quad coil ignition
EXHAUST - 2 1/4 inch, hi flow cat, two hot dogs, straight through back box
POWER AT WHEELS - 108kw @ 6000rpm, then ran out of fuel pressure
TORQUE MAX - ?
REV LIMIT - 6000 for now but will be 7500 when fuel pressure issue fixed
FUEL CONSUMPTION - Best 7.2L/100km and worst 11.7L/100km
CLUTCH - mi16 & lightened flywheel & harmonic balancer
GEAR BOX/RATIO'S - mi16
QUICKSHIFT - PeterT
DIFF? LSD and ratio? - Quaiffe, unknown ratio
SUSPENSION - strut brace, eibach springs, 21mmm TBs, group N strut tops and solid beam mounts
BRAKES - 283mm front discs/calipers, gti6 rear calipers and discs, 405 non ABS M/C
WHEELS - speedlines
MOTORSPORT - not yet
BEST CIRCUIT TIMES?
HILLClIMB TIMES?
DRAG TIMES?
60ft?
1/4 mile?
Terminal speed?
OTHER COMMENTS - love this car, what more can you say!
Dyno sheets - yup, 108kw ATW @6000rpm by HITMAN in Penrith
Drag Stripsheets?

There was the one for sale on car sales a while ago, one on car sales now but I don't know where they came from or went to...
A few conversions going on. Capago? Aquinian?
There is at least one I have heard of through word of mouth.... No details though.

Cheers
Bill

The one on carsales was an import. Had a look at it as its down the road. Not a bad car actually. Not 12k

Ive just completed a GTi6 conversion on a mates car.

Mine is now a J4R until the beast motor is build ( Im broke ). SHould be done in a few weeks

Cam

Do you think the one at the moment was imported for sale?

It's apparently the same guy that had the imported red 1.9 that he advertised for nearly a year. He described it as immaculate and listed the price at $12k, then came down progressively to $8k, then created a new ad and started at $12k again, and so on... If he's going to adopt the same approach for the Mi16 it might be very good value once it comes down to $8k!

Another 16v is being built Bendigo way and should hit the tracks in a few months.

Silver S1, Gaz, Willwood, Motec

P1030386-15.jpg

Last edited: