Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Back on the road and ready for a drive tomorrow. But it's for work, visiting clients and with safe distancing adhered too.

Boot.jpg
Tail Light.jpg

Shoji do you need an aus spec R/H taillight? I see you have one of each installed! I’m sure I have a spare I can send you post lockdown.

Reactions: COL
Not sure what others think about the steering distance with the R17's but I wasn't happy with my arm reach to the steering wheel. Seating and pedals feel fine in the current distance but not the wheel reach. Bought a SAAS extension 40mm for the Luisi wheel. Happy with it now. And the indicator stalk is still reachable but would help if I had ET's fingers.

Yep, no clutch pedal. New cable sorted and ready for install.

Boss extension.jpg
Boss extension (2).jpg
Wheel.jpg

So John....how have you measured the reach?
The basic rule is to first set up the seat fore/aft distance so that when you have the clutch fully depressed, you have a bend in your knee. Once that's done adjust the seat back so that when you're sitting back comfortably, stretch your arms out over the top of the steering wheel and your wrists should rest comfortably on the top of the wheel rim.

So John....how have you measured the reach?
The basic rule is to first set up the seat fore/aft distance so that when you have the clutch fully depressed, you have a bend in your knee. Once that's done adjust the seat back so that when you're sitting back comfortably, stretch your arms out over the top of the steering wheel and your wrists should rest comfortably on the top of the wheel rim.
Thanks Nauli, appreciate it. I will check that once it's all back together. All the pedals are out for a refresh. they were cosmetically affected by the leaking booster that was sorted
I hopefully have another chrome trim coming soon. Are these from the TS?

Pedals Painted.jpg
Pedals.jpg

Pedal Rubbers.jpg

I notice your instrument binnacle is for the Euro spec. ASFIK the Aussie ones had the more closed in bulky hood over the nacelle. Mine certainly did (built to Aussie specs in France -delivery, London).
I think it was an Aus design rules spec suggesting perhaps you could be impaled on the protrusions!

I notice your instrument binnacle is for the Euro spec. ASFIK the Aussie ones had the more closed in bulky hood over the nacelle. Mine certainly did (built to Aussie specs in France -delivery, London).
I think it was an Aus design rules spec suggesting perhaps you could be impaled on the protrusions!
Yep both Australia and I think California had a push on rubber ( plastic ) cover They just fit over the protrusions. I think they look better with the protection.

John,
The chrome trim for pedals can be from R20 and top range R18. I have for my TX off of a R20.

Ray

With the camshaft trigger wheel not working with the NoDiz I decided to change the 16 timing cover to the 17TL cover so I can use the pulley for a 36-1 trigger wheel. Tim (21571) was most obliging to draw up on CAD a wheel suited to the pulley and the cover :headbanger". Pulley is 100mm and the wheel 130mm. Had the wheel(s) laser cut and the pulley's holes drilled by professionals. I had extra wheels cut while at it. And I found an oulet for 7mm socket cap bolts.
Now, what colour should I do the wheel?

Trigger wheel.jpg
Trigger wheel 2.jpg
Seal and bolts.jpg

With the camshaft trigger wheel not working with the NoDiz I decided to change the 16 timing cover to the 17TL cover so I can use the pulley for a 36-1 trigger wheel. Tim (21571) was most obliging to draw up on CAD a wheel suited to the pulley and the cover :headbanger". Pulley is 100mm and the wheel 130mm. Had the wheel(s) laser cut and the pulley's holes drilled by professionals. I had extra wheels cut while at it. And I found an oulet for 7mm socket cap bolts.

View attachment 127736View attachment 127737View attachment 127738
Very flash John. VERY. Rumour has it that a certain camshaft is in Perth too. I might be your way next week on R25 business. Personally I'd leave it black but you might want to see the teeth?

It only has 35 teeth btw. :)

Are you painting the ally?

Reactions: COL

View attachment 127736View attachment 127737View attachment 127738

Nice job John, looks very professional. The socket cap screws are a nice touch too. (y)

Nice work John! Leave the alloy as is and paint the wheel either black or flashy orange to match the car...