Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Ahhh bugger! Yes talk about annoying!

If it's any consolation I haven't had a problem with mine since it returned from repair. And if it happened again, confident I'd just replace the part myself next time noting how they repaired mine. I haven't looked after it either. Battery has been flat a couple of times, it's been on charge, it's been jumped heaps of times, it's been wet, so far so good.

Thanks Bowie for the encouragement. Did yours burn the same component?

NoDiz burnt zoom.jpg

I can't find a data sheet for that specific transistor.

The transistor is an IBGT (insulated gate bipolar transistor) and can be bought off Ali Express.

You could quite easily replace that IGBT quite easily.

Gees Col this is now out of my league. But I've sent a request for help with the NoDiz people. Same as what Bowie had to do with his board. But I'm open to suggestions. Wouldn't know who to take it to here in WA

oh! i was confused by the 4 pole quadrant looking pad mount thing. I think Col is suggesting it's only a 2 pole (is that even the right terminology) transister and that you / me with a cheap soldering iron could remove the old and replace easily.

If it's only 2 terminals, yeah I reckon we could!

oh! i was confused by the 4 pole quadrant looking pad mount thing. I think Col is suggesting it's only a 2 pole (is that even the right terminology) transister and that you / me with a cheap soldering iron could remove the old and replace easily.

Yeah but they look like they are fastened by solder at the back on the board. Probably for heat sink or another connection. But I don't know. I can't solder. Send to UK I think

Yeah but they look like they are fastened by solder at the back on the board. Probably for heat sink or another connection. But I don't know. I can't solder. Send to UK I

Bowie... Eek. I can't do this kind of work.

Yeah but they look like they are fastened by solder at the back on the board. Probably for heat sink or another connection. But I don't know. I can't solder. Send to UK I think
Should be just a case of using solder wick to get rid of the excess solder from the 3 connections and remove the dud IGBT. Place the replacement IBGT onto the solder pads and then solder. If there is no other damage to other components on the board all should be ok.

I would also check the wiring and the coil that channel was hooked to, to make sure there is no problems with the wiring and the coil that can take out the replacement component.

Any electronic or PC/TV/radio/speaker repair place could easily do a simple repair. There should be someone out in the suburbs that could handle this. The will have a source for components. Will be quicker than sending to the UK even if under warranty.

Any electronic or PC/TV/radio/speaker repair place could easily do a simple repair. There should be someone out in the suburbs that could handle this. The will have a source for components. Will be quicker than sending to the UK even if under warranty.
Thanks DimiStyle. Being repaired atm by https://www.cyberdynamix.com.au/about.html

Shoji, I think it is time you showed the work you are currently doing on your R17 !!!!

It is good work so show it. There are too few who can do this.

Ray

Alright then!
I was forced to take the R17 off the road last year due to a fire under the bonnet. I had just fetteled the gear linkages for a smother change and took it for a good fang. But... The brass fitting on the newish fuel pump had come loose driving at 100km and smoke. It was put out quickly but damage was done.
Ok, time for some serious work as I wanted a new paint job and do a complete check of all steel. Straight of the bat here I can't weld! But I'm learning.
I've removed alot of rusty bits and replaced with new steel. Even had some sill panels done in 1.8mm. And new chassis plate from the Netherlands. It's slow but I have gone all in.
A pillar in bits now (Spot welds are horrible) and now with sandblaster.

Rust on flooring.jpg
Treated.jpg
New flooring 2.jpg
One Chassis plates removed.jpg
Another removed.jpg
New chassis plate installed.jpg
New sills.jpg
New sill section.jpg
New suppor bracket.jpg
A pillar removed.jpg