Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Very flash John. VERY. Rumour has it that a certain camshaft is in Perth too. I might be your way next week on R25 business. Personally I'd leave it black but you might want to see the teeth?

It only has 35 teeth btw. :)

Are you painting the ally?
John, the cover I have painted it in that chrome paint. Just what I had at hand at the time. Not ideal because every time you touch it leaves a mark.

well, you need a white texta and you can have yourself your very own inverted flaco!

4346146-3x4-340x453.jpg
I'll see you and raise you.
Flacco & The Sandman.jpg

With the 16 crank being shorter for not having a front pulley, a pulley can still be fitted as it has about 3mm extension. Timing chain gear removed and the keyway extended all the way to the front. Another key obtained to accommodate both gear and pulley fitted with a 20mm longer bolt.

16 crank.jpg
17 Crank.jpg
Wheels.jpg

Reactions: COL
Not sure John. It was probably a new one when Ray built it.
Welcome anyday. But, Fridays are usually my Perth day.
Yes, probably was! I'll let you know which day when I know. Another "Lindsay" trip. Nice work on the shaft extension.

A bit more work on the trigger wheel setup this afternoon. I cut into the crankshaft to make a long 5mm keyway and done away with the woodruff key.
Gap is currently around 1mm for the sensor.
The four bolts for the trigger wheel ended up touching the cover so I will shorten the cap heads on these.

Keyway.jpg
gear pulley trigger.jpg
Trigger setup.jpg
Sensor gap.jpg

Well the "shaft extension"has worked out quite nice. With help from a well known Geko in these parts, we had the engine back together today.
The lizard is actually quite good at his job! :LOL: Big thanks Ray 🎄
The NoDiz should work this time around. But I'll run it on the 123 Tune until I know the disco lights dance on the unit. Then we can prep it for a bash at starting it with the ECU.

Inlet.jpg
Exhaust.jpg
Timing cover.jpg
Sensor.jpg
Carbs.jpg

JellyJellyJellyJellyJellyJellyJellyJellyJelly! How nice does that look!

Yep that trigger wheel and that sensor is going to be sic! :) I Loooooooourved heading to repco and buying a coil pack for a ford focus (which was in stock) for use on my reno, I'm sure you will too! :D

Also that sensor bracket, project binky approved.

Last edited:
Lovely work. I'm in awe of the design of that pressure diecast block too. It was the first such.....

Do it once do it right....do it twice, do it better! Nice work John...good that the lizard found time in his "busy schedule" to assist....

Thanks Nauli.
The list of things to sort which grew also warranted the engine to come out to make it easier. Leaking master cylinder reservoir seals damaged the below paint, distributor drive dog position corrected, noisy clutch bearing, new clutch cable made, leaky camshaft seal, damaged camshaft, and so on. But also, why not sort trigger wheel while at it. Still heaps to do.

Failed nut.jpg
Push rod.jpg
Damaged inlet lobe N0. 2.jpg

With the trigger wheel installed, I left it for sometime until my new leads were made to suit the ford style coil pack to the 807 motor. Had a bit of communication problems with the NoDiz. No surprise, as I'm not confident of these units. I did a direct connection with the bonnet open and wired up. This is still with the 123 Tune running the engine, so no actual spark to engine.
Smoke. what the f*#K. 2 amp fused used!! Check out this...send it again to the UK (like Bowie did)

NoDiz burnt.jpg
NoDiz Crap.jpg