A little Renault eye candy...

Nor have I seen rubber bumper pads. Presumably they are to safely fend off Femme fetales who'd recklessly throw themselves in front of the car in an attempt to snag a ride.

The Reinastella must be a pre 1930 because they look like generic Marshal lights (all 4 of them). In the 30s they had the Renault losange embossed on the headlight glass and even the shells were more Renaultesque.

That car is a serious bit of weaponry it has to be said

Last edited:
An R21 turbo. That's something we don't see in Australia.
An R8 Gordini on L plates, that's something we hope we don't see in Australia.
Haha, David and Andrew Watkins, I have mentioned before on here that the "L" plate is actually my Avatar. I'm a learner and actually, all of us are learners as long as we live.

In this case, it started in ZA when I had my first-ever race in the ZA Gordini. When I exited the pre-race paddock onto the track the marshal stopped me and said "Wait you're a learner" he then went into his cabin at the track entry and came out with a meter-long piece of Bunting tape that he tied onto the rear grill in the engine cover. "That is a warning for the other drivers that it is your first time on track" I gave him the thumbs up and started my practice and qualifying session.

The final outcome was I won the race. So that is where the "L" plates originated.

A few scanned photos (before the digital era) of the ZA car. These photos fall under "Renault Eye Candy".

Off-loading at the track. Note: even the front windscreen is Lexan. No headlights nor indicators, cos they're too heavy! Proper 10" Michelin Slicks.

image1.jpg

At the Goldfields track.

image3.jpg

Ahead of the Mustang and that is how the race finished.

image4 (1).jpg

At speed down the straight. Note the battle scar on the front fender.

image5.jpg

Give the devil her due. The leading G is pedaled by a lady and not one of us could catch her. Ex-go-kart racer as well.

image6.jpg

The leading Gordini above power plant.

Evans1.jpg

Regards, Frans.

Water pump looks different and so does timing cover and pulleys. Is this a dry sump motor?

Henry
Hi Henry,

Yes, this was Cindy Evans's car. Very quick, if she raced on the day we came second amongst the R8s.

It is a dry sump, electric water pump, and belt-driven cam. That is why there is no timing cover.

Somewhere on the Net is a photo of her, about 10 years ago, where she overtook Sarel vd Merwe in his Galaxy during a classic car race.

Keep well. Frans.

Hi Henry,

Yes, this was Cindy Evans's car. Very quick, if she raced on the day we came second amongst the R8s.

It is a dry sump, electric water pump, and belt-driven cam. That is why there is no timing cover.

Somewhere on the Net is a photo of her, about 10 years ago, where she overtook Sarel vd Merwe in his Galaxy during a classic car race.

Keep well. Frans.

Hmm! One could always dream.

Cruising the streets and back roads of New England with the top down, basking in the warm glow of the winter sun. Dodging pot holes and stray sheep (with one stray jumbuck tied up in the trunk for dinner). Waving to the adoring crowd of admirers and photographers. Hysterical women folk flashing their..pension cards at me in the hope of a ride. Ah yes! I can see it all now. :geek:

Cruising the streets and back roads of New England with the top down, basking in the warm glow of the winter sun. Dodging pot holes and stray sheep (with one stray jumbuck tied up in the trunk for dinner). Waving to the adoring crowd of admirers and photographers. Hysterical women folk flashing their..pension cards at me in the hope of a ride. Ah yes! I can see it all now. :geek:
Nice big wheels help so much with potholes too! You need goggles if you are going to wind the screen down though.

Dreams eh. :)

Did you happen to notice the similarity in paint colour to my other two Renaults..? I think that dream is shot down cos I couldn't do another blue car.
Yes, I did. The advert is closer to Royal Blue and your earlier efforts are a bit closer to Navy Blue. I like red cars of course, as well as blue ones.

I can see all of that with the possible exception of the warm winter 🌞 😉😆😆