A little Renault eye candy...

As you would well remember JW.. I think you took this photo if I recall correctly.

P9170039a.jpg

There’s been no word from the mother country Re. the 1954 Monte Carlo rally. Indeed if there were any people old enough at the time to have spectated at the race or were involved in the running, reporting or participated as driver or crew, they would surely be quite old and no doubt currently dribbling in their soupe á lóignon. And of course as history is always written by the victors, AKA Stirling Moss and Scannell Desmond of Great Britain they would have pretended that car #49 didn’t even exist and given it no credence at all. Hence the only information available publically is what we have already uncovered is would seem.

Fortunately, the then 27 year old Queen Elizabeth was on her way to Australia at the time and was unable to gloat until she heard the news as she set foot in Sydney a week later on Feb 3rd 1954. Though perhaps she would have been more concerned with the flies, hot weather and rugged colonials to even care about some car race in Monte Carlo. :2cents:

Like how the froggies took full advantage during her Royal visit to France be getting her to promote French product :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :evil:

The late queen was said to speak French well. Certainly she has given prepared speeches in French, and is known to have chatted with Hollande, who did not know English. She understood Mitterand's French jests.

In what I have found online she had her own very distinct QE2 accent. But then most non-native speakers retain their own, however much they try.

since ugly Renaults count for eye candy here’s my ugliest. 😜View attachment 227609
No no no, these were great cars. Did a couple of 1000 kilometres in one of these. Top of the range with more gadgets than most other cars for their day. A V6 with mechanical injection and plenty of poke. A very comfortable fast touring car. The R30 should have come to Australia.

The late queen was said to speak French well. Certainly she has given prepared speeches in French, and is known to have chatted with Hollande, who did not know English. She understood Mitterand's French jests.

In what I have found online she had her own very distinct QE2 accent. But then most non-native speakers retain their own, however much they try.
Totally fluent in French I read.

since ugly Renaults count for eye candy here’s my ugliest. 😜View attachment 227609
I will grant that the camera angle is as bad as you could imagine. But that 20/30 range was pretty clean in styling I thought. Top cruising cars and a hatchback to boot (if you'll forgive the pun). Worst styled post war Renault? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I reckon the current ones are the least distinguishable from the other fridges.

Vivid, is that ugly thing the same as next door here? R20? Still up for 3k. full of water without a rear side window
Someone asked me about that 20 only the other day. He might as well scrap it you know.

I will grant that the camera angle is as bad as you could imagine. But that 20/30 range was pretty clean in styling I thought. Top cruising cars and a hatchback to boot (if you'll forgive the pun). Worst styled post war Renault? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I reckon the current ones are the least distinguishable from the other fridges.
Gees when I had my R20 years ago a guy who lived up the street stopped as he walked past me washing it in front and said : "when I see your Renault parked out the front I think it is the most handsome looking car I have seen".
Jaahn

Someone asked me about that 20 only the other day. He might as well scrap it you know.
Yea John mine is the R30TX bought from a member on here last year from Adelaide.

Re the R20, what a shame!

Unfortunately I have a lot on my plate just repairing the 16 I have and storage in VIC is a real problem since my containers were stolen, even if I had recovered more than 1/12 cars.

It can't be allowed to be scrapped!

3k might be a bit ambitious for a virtual orphan to be honest. I'd love to

I don't think they are 'ugly' really, just for a Renault. They've certainly done uglier since! They sure are comfy.

Yea John mine is the R30TX bought from a member on here last year from Adelaide.

Re the R20, what a shame!

Unfortunately I have a lot on my plate just repairing the 16 I have and storage in VIC is a real problem since my containers were stolen, even if I had recovered more than 1/12 cars.

It can't be allowed to be scrapped!
Good you've recovered some cars at least. What a bugger.

Gees when I had my R20 years ago a guy who lived up the street stopped as he walked past me washing it in front and said : "when I see your Renault parked out the front I think it is the most handsome looking car I have seen".
Jaahn
yea I'll give that.. handsome.
I'll get a nice photo by the water :)

heres a better photo
IMG_4201.jpeg

No there's no motor in the boot.
Saggy springs.
I have new rear springs in the boot.

Incidentally the low life that stole my containers and cars has been charged and is bailed for court in November.

Last edited:
3k might be a bit ambitious for a virtual orphan to be honest. I'd love to

I don't think they are 'ugly' really, just for a Renault. They've certainly done uglier since! They sure are comfy.
Especially missing one window before the last major rains.... You'd need to be quite someone to try to restore something as rare as a 20. One of Renault's best, for sure.