EV alternatives

Holy shit, internal combustion sure does make me feel things in NSFW places… I do like electric and I like the way they drive and sound. But feck me, when ICE is on song, it makes some fecking amazing music!!!!!

Holy shit, internal combustion sure does make me feel things in NSFW places… I do like electric and I like the way they drive and sound. But feck me, when ICE is on song, it makes some fecking amazing music!!!!!

Honda were rocking it 60 years ago too.

I looked up the regos for a few other mild hybrid Range Rovers that were for sale in the UK on the DVLA website. They are all listed as "DIESEL".
Maybe because a 'mild hybrid' can't actually turn the wheels on electric power???

The recently releaased upgrade to the Toyota Hilux has some mild hybrids - and Toyota has given them some other silly name because all the battery does is power some of the electirical equipment in the car.

Maybe because a 'mild hybrid' can't actually turn the wheels on electric power???

The recently releaased upgrade to the Toyota Hilux has some mild hybrids - and Toyota has given them some other silly name because all the battery does is power some of the electirical equipment in the car.
That's not the point, it still has a fairly large lithium battery which cannot be discounted as a potential ignition source.
A legal E-bike is essentially a "mild hybrid" as: as with the Range Rover, it powers the wheel/s electrically in conjunction with another energy source.
That's why the mild hybrid diesel RR has a lower CO2 output than the regular diesel RR.
It's not like E-bikes are known for bursting into flames though I suppose.🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

MHEV will have a small traction battery and an electric motor capable of moving the car. For example:
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-ne...-c5-aircross-is-as-efficient-as-a-rav4-hybrid
https://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews/article/13465/-/2024-Citroen-C5+Aircross/Hybrid+136.html

Some key points about this design ...
There is supposedly only a modest price increase over ICE versions. PHEV / BEV are normally much more expensive than ICE and MHEV.
Claims 55.4mpg / 129 g/km and has a 48V battery. Not being a plug-in you just drive it. Battery is the size of a briefcase and located under the LHF seat. Capacity is 0.43kWh. Compare to 50kWh in e-2008/e-Partner and approx 12 kWh in 3008/508 PHEV.
It is possible to charge the traction battery using a regular battery charger connected to the underbonnet battery.
The 21kW electric motor is built into the gearbox and also captures braking energy and stores it. (vs 100kW in the EV and PHEVs.)
The gearbox is a twin clutch automated manual. It actually has three hydraulic clutch packs - one to disconnect it from the engine to put it into full EV mode and then the two that control the two separate secondary shafts allowing sequential selection. The small electric motor pulses during the shift to smooth out the torque delivery.

1711158431641.png

Last edited:
It sounded just like my old FSM Niki at the end of the video.🤣

MHEV will have a small traction battery and an electric motor capable of moving the car.
From the Car Expert article you quote -

Unlike most 48V ‘mild’ hybrids, the C5 Aircross offers electric drive, with the French brand claiming some 50 per cent of city-based journeys in EV mode.

While I take your point - most mild hybrids can't turn the wheels.

It's not like E-bikes are known for bursting into flames though I suppose.🤦‍♂️
Really - it seems they are far more likely to burst into flames than EVs.

Providing assistance to turning the wheels when an ICE motor is running is still turning the wheels, even if the design is not intended to run in a purely electric mode. The Citroen won't go very far in pure EV mode, but it can. That's obviously different to others tagged with 'MHEV'. PHEV is probably the desirable happy medium for most, but not when owners are too lazy to plug in. Tagging a vehicle with MHEV capability 'diesel' doesn't make it a pure diesel and that appears to be what many want to claim with the Luton vehicle. Rather than simply running a blind defense for EV technology, incidents like Luton should see people ask how this can be mitigated, is the technology sufficiently mature and what can we do to improve it?

Just for the sake of interest, a 2013 Range-Rover Hybrid is allegedly capable of driving up to 48km/hr for up to 1.6km in pure EV mode using a 35kW motor and 266V battery. It's MHEV and definitely able to turn the wheels. Two 2013 reviews ...
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/range-rover-hybrid-2013-first-drive-38741/
https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/range-rover-hybrid-review-quick-drive/

Regarding the e-bike flambe frequency comment, the sarc ... /sarc wasn't obvious just from the words. It seems you are agreeing. I wonder if an AI engine 'gets' intonation?

Just for the sake of interest, a 2013 Range-Rover Hybrid is allegedly capable of driving up to 48km/hr for up to 1.6km in pure EV mode using a 35kW motor and 266V battery. It's MHEV and definitely able to turn the wheels
Is the Range Rover you quote above a hybrid or a mild hybrid (you've given it two different descriptions in two lines)? Toyota and many other manufacturers manufacture hybrids that can do the same thing as the example and the badging on them says hybrid. Kelly's Blue Book (link -> what-is-a-mild-hybrid-vehicle) in the US lists the different types of hybrid. Considering they rate and write about vehicles all day every day they probably have industry insight on what the differences are.

Types of Hybrids

There are three basic types of hybrid systems. We’ve touched on two of them already; however, for clarity’s sake, we’ll briefly describe each below. We’ve also added a fourth hybrid type that’s rarely talked about because it isn’t currently available on production models.

Hybrid (HEV)

A full hybrid system combines an ICE with a battery and electric motor to share the duties of propelling a vehicle. Technically, this is called a parallel hybrid because the ICE and HEV components operate alongside one another. It’s possible for most such HEV systems to propel the vehicle for short distances and low speeds on its own. However, the vehicle’s drive wheels usually receive power from the ICE, or the ICE and HEV system combined. The HEV system is self-contained, feeding the battery with electric output from the ICE’s generator, as well as through the regenerative braking system.

Mild Hybrid (MHEV)

An MHEV is a less grand and more affordable ICE-and-hybrid setup producing less dramatic fuel savings. It’s still a combination of the ICE, a battery, and an electric motor, but the battery and motor are much smaller. Where a full HEV can send power directly to the wheels, an MHEV instead provides a boost of energy to the engine when accelerating from a standstill. It can also manage some of the load from power-hungry systems like air conditioning. As with an HEV system, an MHEV system’s battery is charged through the ICE and regenerative braking.

Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV)

A PHEV can usually propel a vehicle on electric power alone for 25-35 miles. When the battery empties, the ICE kicks in to power the wheels. Although a PHEV battery can draw a charge from the ICE and regenerative braking system, it can also recharge by plugging into an outside source. This plug-in capability, as well as a larger battery array than an HEV, is what allows a PHEV to travel on electric-only power.

Range Extender Hybrids

Think of range extender hybrids as full EVs in which the vehicle relies solely on battery power to spin the wheels but provides a small ICE to recharge the battery when it runs out of juice. That is, the ICE acts like a generator to create the electric current needed to keep the motor running and recharge the battery. The Chevy Volt was a range extender hybrid.

Range Rover called it a 'Hybrid', but it is certainly 'mild' with a max speed of 48km/hr and range barely a mile.

Range Rover called it a 'Hybrid', but it is certainly 'mild' with a max speed of 48km/hr and range barely a mile.
but its little battery was still enough to take out an entire parking tower :eek: just by torching of the other electric vehicles around it!

Regarding old Range-Rovers: Shane, you'd better start polishing yours ... then you can trade up the family fleet to some EVs and a PHEV for the longer trips.

1711364746911.png

Regarding old Range-Rovers: Shane, you'd better start polishing yours ... then you can trade up the family fleet to some EVs and a PHEV for the longer trips.

View attachment 238836
they have dropped in value over the last year or so. the value of them went insane through covid (well every 4wd did). my $800 shitbox would probably sell for about $12k at the moment.... it would have be $15,000++ a couple of years ago.

I don't really care about value though .... It's only a problem if I need to replace it!

they have dropped in value over the last year or so. the value of them went insane through covid (well every 4wd did). my $800 shitbox would probably sell for about $12k at the moment.... it would have be $15,000++ a couple of years ago.

I don't really care about value though .... It's only a problem if I need to replace it!
Spotted one yesterday for a few thousand.
Pajero at the farm has oil leaking onto the clutch and the clutch is suspect, pulled a tree down which i needed to fall in a spot.
Can't bring myself to replace the clutch on the Pajero.
Land Rovers are easier to work on.

Pajero at the farm has oil leaking onto the clutch and the clutch is suspect, pulled a tree down which i needed to fall in a spot.

the clutch is a bugger to change with the transfer case unbalancing everything.

1711496508801.png

1711496533334.png

its an unbalanced pig of a thing with that HEAVY transfer case swinging from it. what I ended up with was and engine crane into the car holding a block and tackle .... and ratchet straps trying to rotate the mess under the car in an attempt to hold up the transfer case. fancy transmission jacks don't help as the transfer case unbalances it all.

Fun right !!! What is even dumber is I didnt' change the clutch while I was there (and its far from new :blackeye: ).

When I did the clutch on my Bronco I took one look at the huge cast iron gearbox/transfer case assembly and decided pulling the engine would be easier.
Thanks to the Ford's rather large engine bay, I didn't even take the 6 cylinder engine out, just lifted it a bit and spun it around so I could get at the clutch.
The other deciding factor was the gearbox crossmember was secured to the chassis with rather large steel rivets. I would have either had to drill those out and replaced them with HT bolts, or try and maneuver the aforementioned 300kg gearbox and transfer case across the top of the crossmember, and then back in again.🥵
As my fitter and turner son likes to say, "Dad, you've got to work smarter not harder".🤣

When I did the clutch on my Bronco I took one look at the huge cast iron gearbox/transfer case assembly and decided pulling the engine would be easier.
Thanks to the Ford's rather large engine bay, I didn't even take the 6 cylinder engine out, just lifted it a bit and spun it around so I could get at the clutch.
The other deciding factor was the gearbox crossmember was secured to the chassis with rather large steel rivets. I would have either had to drill those out and replaced them with HT bolts, or try and maneuver the aforementioned 300kg gearbox and transfer case across the top of the crossmember, and then back in again.🥵
As my fitter and turner son likes to say, "Dad, you've got to work smarter not harder".🤣
been there and done that too. You have to remove the engine mounts and drop the motor down to get to the bolts on top of the bell housing .... and need a huge bunch of 3/8ths extension to get to the rest of the bolts from underneeth.... why couldn't they have just given us an inch of space between the firewall and driveline :unsure:

been there and done that too. You have to remove the engine mounts and drop the motor down to get to the bolts on top of the bell housing .... and need a huge bunch of 3/8ths extension to get to the rest of the bolts from underneeth.... why couldn't they have just given us an inch of space between the firewall and driveline :unsure:
No such bellhousing bolt problem with a Bronco luckily, you can just sit in the engine bay and undo them with a spanner.
Worst car I had for bellhousing bolt access was a 2 series 4 cylinder Volvo, I needed every extension bar I owned for that one.