EV alternatives

A friend of mine is on holidays, and among the photos she's posted is the Electomoke at the MOVE facility in Shepparton.
One of four built in the early '80s, the other three were destroyed in a fire.

20240327_173131.jpg
20240327_173158.jpg

Here is a newspaper article about the cost of making EVs in the US. It should gladen the hearts of the skeptics on here !!
"Car manufacturers are losing $6000 on every electric car they sell, according to a new report from the United States."
https://www.drive.com.au/news/car-m...m.au&utm_content=article_2&utm_medium=partner
Or in my case makes me think I could get a bargain out of the big car makers !! :rolleyes: :love:
Jaahn

SIL and daughter (mainly her car) just got a Kodiaq RS. Couldn't convince him to get a Tesla or even a PHEV even though they drive a lot in Sydney traffic but do long trips to Melbourne and up north. Concerned about residual value and overheating his garage.

Here is a newspaper article about the cost of making EVs in the US. It should gladen the hearts of the skeptics on here !!
"Car manufacturers are losing $6000 on every electric car they sell, according to a new report from the United States."
https://www.drive.com.au/news/car-m...m.au&utm_content=article_2&utm_medium=partner
Or in my case makes me think I could get a bargain out of the big car makers !! :rolleyes: :love:
Jaahn
And here's the link to Hyundai's US CEO saying that selling EVs is profitable for them -> https://insideevs.com/news/714104/hyundai-range-extender-interview/

Profitable on a lease with a $7500 tax credit, or did I read that wrong?
The buyer gets the tax credit - not the company. It's similar to the Australian states rebates for EVs from what I understand.

Profitable on a lease with a $7500 tax credit, or did I read that wrong?
even if they manage to make a profit from them .... the main problem is not many people want them.... and I'm betting those that buy them, never make the same mistake a 2nd time 🤔 range anxiety, waiting for chargers ... years of stress to find its unsalable and your stuck with it at the end of lease.

The buyer gets the tax credit - not the company. It's similar to the Australian states rebates for EVs from what I understand.
Korea had a free trade agreement with the US. Hyundai get a free $7500 gift from the Federal government for every car they lease in the US. Not hard to make a profit when they are showering you with taxpayer's money.
I see the article's claims of profitability are only talking about the US market.
I wonder if they're losing $6000 a car everywhere else?🙄

20240331_083205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you have the other issue that no one seems to have realised yet and it's the same deal when people first started getting solar panels on their houses
There were figures of up to 60c/kw being paid to account holders for any excess power created and so many people that could afford the panels jumped on board and started making enough money to pay the panels off fairly quickly
Now power companies are offering stupidly low prices for home chargers to encourage people to hook up overnight instead of drawing 250kw/h from charge stations
How long do you think said power companies are going to subsidize these people until they start charging them at the normal price for power consumption ??
These people are going to be hit with power bills far beyond what they have now and decide that these toys aren't worth having and the market is flooded with them
All the incentives are going to dry up in the near future

Then you have the other issue that no one seems to have realised yet and it's the same deal when people first started getting solar panels on their houses
There were figures of up to 60c/kw being paid to account holders for any excess power created and so many people that could afford the panels jumped on board and started making enough money to pay the panels off fairly quickly
About 10 years in our case. Lucky the inverter didn't pack up and the panels remained sound.

Now power companies are offering stupidly low prices for home chargers to encourage people to hook up overnight instead of drawing 250kw/h from charge stations
How long do you think said power companies are going to subsidize these people until they start charging them at the normal price for power consumption ??
These people are going to be hit with power bills far beyond what they have now and decide that these toys aren't worth having and the market is flooded with them
All the incentives are going to dry up in the near future
Yes, the incentives are already being cut back. NSW has ended the $3K EV rebate. Don't expect the registration and and other concessions to continue as road tax and fuel excise declines. Road Tax is mostly based on weight and you will pay for the extra weight of an EV.
In the past 6 months the typical cost of a the public fast chargers increased rapidly. So, what was 45c/kWh mid-2023 became 75c/kWh by years end. NRMA ended it's free chargers and now charges about 60c/kWh. And if you think cheap off-peak overnight charging is here to stay, think again. The only reason overnight charging is cheap is because there is coal-fired generation and supply has for decades exceeded demand overnight. Once those coal-fired generators close and more generators move to dispatchable stored wind and solar, perhaps firmed by expensive gas, do you think overnight power will remain cheap? Charging during the middle of the day should become the cheapest option in future, but how do you do that if you dump the car in the street to catch a train to work during the day? And then there are the copper thieves ...

Last edited:
They say it all in that video :cautious:. As far as the US government goes, they are leaning from the CCP. Only have to look back a little what happened with Pootube etc. let alone the dirty washing that emerged after Musk bought Twitter...

Some of the latest EV alternatives ...
1711973910760.png

Last edited:
those electric cars ... they are saving the world by not burning fossil fuels ....

chargerjpg.jpg

those electric cars ... they are saving the world by not burning fossil fuels ....

View attachment 239303
Do your research before you post. Clearly you didn't here.

The site is solar powered with a battery backup as clearly seen on Photo 3 on the detailed listing for this EVSe on Plugshare.-> https://www.plugshare.com/location/598371. The photo was taken prior to the EVSE being finished (could be why the fencing is strategically placed around the charging unit???). It's also at a fuel stop but it was pure coincidence the buildings are behind the person taking the photo - apparently.

By the way - the person that posted this originally is trying to build a 4X4 website but . . .
Tim Beevors 4x4 reviews
Peter Marmo I hear this
but everytime I do actual 4x4 content it doesnt do very well
its amazing actually
Source

Do your research before you post. Clearly you didn't here.

The site is solar powered with a battery backup as clearly seen on Photo 3 on the detailed listing for this EVSe on Plugshare.-> https://www.plugshare.com/location/598371. The photo was taken prior to the EVSE being finished (could be why the fencing is strategically placed around the charging unit???). It's also at a fuel stop but it was pure coincidence the buildings are behind the person taking the photo - apparently.

By the way - the person that posted this originally is trying to build a 4X4 website but . . .

Source
its supposed to be a joke. Solar power is also a joke. It would take all of eternity to charge an electric car iwth a solar panel. You need a dirty big ginormous generator. solar might work if you had 100 acres of solar panels in the background .... and it was midday

how could anyone in the right mind not just laugh at the lunacy of all of this. Seriosly, there is nothing wrong with electric cars, but don't take them into remote areas. They were never meant to be used for this. They are city cars .... where there is the infrastructure to charge them

The airport runway wasn't strong enough for one larger the plane.
A C130 with its high flotation landing gear could easily land at Scone airport. You can barely see where one's been on a grass airstrip let alone a paved one. They need 3000 ft fully loaded, Scone's airstrip is 4606 ft.
There's one major "problem" between the two Dessault Falcons they ended up using and the C130.
Can anyone guess what that is?

images (31).jpeg
images (32).jpeg