EV alternatives

Black, dirty, toxic, consuming vast amounts of energy, you are also identifying the petrol / coal / lpg extraction process.

This is what I can't understand. These processes are already terrible, and you are left with a product that when burnt, is also terrible.

Or, we have to deploy new manufacturing, that although the process will also be black, dirty, toxic and terrible, the output is not. Wind / Solar powered, clean renewable fuel sources. Even if it's coal powered electricity, that's still cleaner then refining, manufacturing, shipping and distributing petrol to be burnt.

Yes the manufacturing of the green solution will be shit. And? Just stuff it altogether?
That is a good point. the existing process would be terrible. The difference I'm guessing is we have a way to cater for the existing processes. How to cater for 26 million fire prone batteries spread across an entire planet :unsure: Well the answer is, we will find out over the next decade!

Black, dirty, toxic, consuming vast amounts of energy, you are also identifying the petrol / coal / lpg extraction process.

This is what I can't understand. These processes are already terrible, and you are left with a product that when burnt, is also terrible.

Or, we have to deploy new manufacturing, that although the process will also be black, dirty, toxic and terrible, the output is not. Wind / Solar powered, clean renewable fuel sources. Even if it's coal powered electricity, that's still cleaner then refining, manufacturing, shipping and distributing petrol to be burnt.

Yes the manufacturing of the green solution will be shit. And? Just stuff it altogether?
And how long do renewables last? The greenies base all their calculated "savings" on only doing it once, and don't include all the supporting infrastructure that renewables require.
The renewable "solutions" will need to be built three times and recycled at least twice during the operating lifetime of an average coal or nuclear power plant.
Everything electronic now is throwaway, why would one think EVs are any different?
I currently have 11 vehicles in my yard that are between 50 and 100 years old. They all run fine, I would take any of them anywhere for a drive or ride.
I wonder how many "classic" 50 year old electric Teslas, BYDs, MGs etc will be on the road in 2074?
Most likely scenario will be that they have been replaced 6 times over by then.🤷‍♂️

20240314_164342.jpg
20240314_164849.jpg

🤔

The world is f#cked because everyone is obsessed with technology.
Want to save the planet, stop everyone from buying new shit when they don't really need it.
I'll keep driving my 70 year old Austin every day, knowing I could never do as much damage to the planet with it, as I would if I bought a new EV, an array of solar panels and a storage battery, so that I can charge it overnight "for free".🤦‍♂️
Makes sense to me.

pretty sure that is natural gas. its nowhere near as vehicle friendly as LPG. Its much more difficult to compressor into a liquid and keep there from memory
They used to have natural gas vehicles in Toowoomba years ago.
They were compressed natural gas though (CNG), they would put filling stations in people's homes or businesses and it would take all night to compress the gas into the vehicle's tank off the gas mains supply.
IIRC the pressures involved were very high compared to LPG, and I don't think the calorific value was as high as LPG either, but it was significantly cheaper.
I know they have liquid natural gas (LNG) vehicles overseas, not sure about in Aus though?
LNG is a whole different ball game however, involving very low temperatures in the distribution system.
Biggest concern I guess with natural gas is a leak, it's basically methane, which is 83 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

Look at the size of that Li-Cycle plant, that is only basically "dismantling" the batteries.
All the shredded product has to be transported elsewhere for further processing.
The Li-Cycle plant is touted as the biggest in North America and has an annual capacity of 18,000 tons.
As we saw in the video, there was one car battery going up the conveyor and 1000s of small "household" type batteries.
So what is their EV battery capacity really? Let's be generous and say 50%, or 9000 tons.
There were 1.2 million EVs sold in the US in 2023.
So around 600,000 tons of EV batteries.
They need to to build 66 more "recycling" plants just like the Li-Cyle one, just to shred the batteries up to keep pace with current US EV sales.
Of course in the upcoming "Electric Utopia" where the entire 15 million or so cars sold every year in the USA are EVs?

They are going to need 1000 of these battery shredding plants, or 20 in every US state.
Of course that's not taking into account the increase in "other" dead batteries that these plants are going to have to deal with, home storage, E-bikes, E-scooters, electric mowers, chainsaws, brushcutters and whatever else they are slowly mandating to replace those "dirty" ICE engines.
Then they have to build all the plants to accept the shredded products to turn them into manufacturing grade raw materials.
Look as the size of the one they are building in NY at the end of the video, how many of these "further processing" facilities are going to be needed as well??

Of course all these millions of a tons of materials will have to be transported around the countryside.
"Don't worry about that", I hear you say, "they'll use electric trucks for that".
Cool, once they replace the 13 million "dirty diesel" trucks on US roads with battery ones they better built a few hundred more "recycling" plants to handle those batteries when they finally die as well.🤦‍♂️
What are all these recycling facilities going to run on, solar, windmills? Better start building recycling plants for the millions of EOL solar panels and windmills too.
The scale of what will be needed to provide "lean green" recycling for all these new energy products once they are f#cked is simply staggering.

Hole in the ground anyone???
Has Elon Musk mentioned his involvement in the recycling of his batteries?

Or will he dump the responsibility and others pay for his folly?
"Greenies" not thought of the situation yet.
The recycling situation is a joke, where is Ralph Nader?

Ralph can't travel. Moving at any speed would pose an unacceptable risk!

Has Elon Musk mentioned his involvement in the recycling of his batteries?

Or will he dump the responsibility and others pay for his folly?
They have recycling capability at their Nevada gigafactory. However they try and fluff any crook batteries back up to a minimum of 70% capacity to use as warranty claim replacements, before they send them back there.
Not sure what the plant's actually capacity is, but it will already be handling the duds off the production line. A good EV battery failure rate on a production line is 5%, I read somewhere that the new tech in the Cybertruck batteries was experiencing a 40% failure rate.
I don't know whether that figure's started to improve or not?

If you wish to be a real fair dincum Green then you'd buy one of these 🤷‍♂️ . Best option available given the well short of a green sticker for current battery technology. Aptera's battery at least isn't a 100kw whopper lugging around a 2.5 ton tank.

If you wish to be a real fair dincum Green then you'd buy one of these 🤷‍♂️ . Best option available given the well short of a green sticker for current battery technology. Aptera's battery at least isn't a 100kw whopper lugging around a 2.5 ton tank.
Unfortunately that's probably more vaporware to attract investors rather than anywhere near a real product. Given current solar panel efficiency is around 25% in real world conditions I'd imagine we're at least 5 years away (when panels reach ~40%) before meaningful range can be achieved via the on car pv panels. Even then, your not driving your family in air conditioned comfort more than a few kays before you'd be leaning on a battery pack or a small hybrid system.

Ralph can't travel. Moving at any speed would pose an unacceptable risk!
Seems very funny to me that the "Greenies" have not realised that EV technology and Elon Musk are going to be the conspiracy reality that will be exposed at some point?
Pyramid Sales and Ostrich Farms , religious cults and on-line Sports Betting.

Porsche are being sued for $32 million over their vehicle that caught fire and sunk the carrier ship
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tr...blamed-for-ship-fire-in-Mitsui-O.S.K.-lawsuit

Glad i do not live in the city!

They used to have natural gas vehicles in Toowoomba years ago.
They were compressed natural gas though (CNG),
The Brisbane CIty Council still operates hundreds of CNG powered busses. The next generation of busses was diesel and the ones they are adding to the fleet now are electric.

Times change.

The Brisbane CIty Council still operates hundreds of CNG powered busses. The next generation of busses was diesel and the ones they are adding to the fleet now are electric.

Times change.
We don't want electric busses....

they have no place here. recharge times... weight .... a great incendiary device I guess

Hertz (US) CEO and a board member are walking at the end of March after EVs put a big hole in the business' performance. Not working out well there. Tesla under-utilised, too expensive to operate and repair plus a massive residual write-down after Tesla cut their prices by almost a quarter. Apparently Polestar are no better for this business.

Hertz (US) CEO and a board member are walking at the end of March after EVs put a big hole in the business' performance. Not working out well there. Tesla under-utilised, too expensive to operate and repair plus a massive residual write-down after Tesla cut their prices by almost a quarter. Apparently Polestar are no better for this business.
Take out the "fuel savings", which aren't applicable to a hire car company, and buying an EV over ICE doesn't make financial sense for them at this point in time.
When you read the comments section in EV news articles, one gets the impression almost all EV owners must work night shift, they all reckon they charge at home off solar, and never fast charge, and are saving squillions on guzzlene.🙄

Some data on EV vehicle fires: EV & ICE Fire Risk
There is also a definite puzzle for firefighters, as battery fires require more water to put out, can burn almost three times hotter, and are more likely to reignite, according to EV FireSafe. Some fire departments have experimented with complete immersion of electric cars in water tanks.
How are they going to do that in a car park and how are they extracting the toxic emissions?
Silly shipping company who didn't know that when the Porsche on that ship burnt. Would the ship have burnt out if a petrol or diesel caught fire on it???