Car Care Products

J206GTI said:
how long does the tech wax + glaze combo last for sydney weather ?? I got a bit frustrated with melb's dusty/misty weather that I have to constantly wash the car to keep it clean, thus the polish and wax doesn't stay well with repeated washing...

Hard to say, because:

a) I barely drive my car
b) I barely wash my car

I'm not using glaze, as I don't have it at my house. My point was more that Glaze is a pure polish and won't hold on without a sealant. So glaze layered with some NXT after it would work well.

You can get NXT in a spray to "top up" the wax if you feel you're losing protection. #26 is a carnuaba though, so would require a reapplication once ever 4 weeks or so. The NXT is a synthetic and should last a couple of months. #26 will break down in the sun...

GTI124 said:
Hard to say, because:

I'm not using glaze, as I don't have it at my house. My point was more that Glaze is a pure polish and won't hold on without a sealant. So glaze layered with some NXT after it would work well.

Well,

It sealed pretty well, this is just finished 30mins ago with:
1. Gold Class Prep
2. #7 Glaze
3. NXT TEch Wax

For this '84 306XR N3, the paint work is restored to 99% I could say (minus the scratches and stone chips).

Highly Recommended.

It's still neck to neck comparing with #26 wax, maybe using an orbital buffer will show the real difference.

Jason

Attachments

• NXTwax.JPG
    NXTwax.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 249
Linc, this one's mainly for you...

Meg's #7 (i think its #7, non abrasive polish)
Did some polishing on the weekend (gettin bugs off etc), and the #7 leaves a heap of grease behind!!! i washed it after with detergent but still some was left...

Any ideas on how to get this residue off?

nate said:

Did some polishing on the weekend (gettin bugs off etc), and the #7 leaves a heap of grease behind!!! i washed it after with detergent but still some was left...

Use less. Use lots of terry towels, but generally use less.

There are some instructions on how to use #7 effectively on autopia.org

Yes it is greasy and it can be tricky.

GTI124 said:
Use less. Use lots of terry towels, but generally use less.

There are some instructions on how to use #7 effectively on autopia.org

Yes it is greasy and it can be tricky.

The 'grease' is the actual oil that goes onto the paint, it should not be washed away. :nownow:

There was an article on showcargarage.com a while ago about how to use the glaze from a tech guy that works at Meg's. But since then the page has been pulled down and merged somewhere. In short here how you should do it:

1. apply thin layer of glaze
2. let 'dry' a little bit, there should be a 'skin'/haze on the paint
3. rub the 'skin' so the polish is wet again
4. buff off excess, but panel should not be totally clean, you should stop when the excess has been wiped off and you see the 'grease' on the paint
5. apply wax/ploymer...etc, buff off as usual, the grease layer should disappear and binded with the wax/polymer.
6. it'll take up to 24hrs for the product to totally set in

That's how i polish all the cars in my house and you can see it works well :)

My :2cents:

Jason :cheers:

Jason, are you applying it by hand or with a random orbital? Nice work on the 306. I can imagine how dull it was looking beforehand!

GTI124 said:
Jason, are you applying it by hand or with a random orbital? Nice work on the 306. I can imagine how dull it was looking beforehand!

All by hand :) I use the sponge to apply the products and terry towel for the buffing, i'm not sure if microfiber cloth will trap dirt and scratch with it's smooth surface.

I'm planning to get a random orbital, but I need to know how to use it properly. Any pointers ??

Jason

nate said:

i have the same problem and as time passes by..
i looks like stained scratches...
went to consult one of the workers in auto one...
and he said to use a damped open weaved cloth when applying the polish..
just did it this morning and looks fine now...
hopefully it'll stay the same in the coming weeks...

joe

JO3 said:
i have the same problem and as time passes by..
i looks like stained scratches...
went to consult one of the workers in auto one...
and he said to use a damped open weaved cloth when applying the polish..
just did it this morning and looks fine now...
hopefully it'll stay the same in the coming weeks...

joe

Yeah, a damp cloth is good, but Nate should've been using a damp cloth, he does with Klasse AIO...

Jason, www.bettercarcare.com has great tips on how to use a random orbital. There's a video around of David Byron showing you how to use one. I bought a deWalt DW443, but with the US exchange rate beig good, I'd consider order a Porter Cable from a US detailing site, along with some quality pads.

Very good job by hand too, mate! That's a bitch of a product with a machine, but it looks like you're experienced at using it by now!

I'm planning to get a random orbital, but I need to know how to use it properly. Any pointers ??

hmmmm...ok.....yeahh....uuuhmmmm......here goes....

Its kind of like "sex".....ie. result is dependant on the level of passion and adoration towards the the one you cherish....

You start gently....really gently...and slowly....I like to go up and down the smooth curves with feathery lightness and as the hands start to relax it feels good to start the circular action on the more sensetive areas.....As the pressure is applied a light mist/spray of water helps cool things down...kind of like a lubricant......As the confidence rises and the heat of the moment is spread across the body, one can add a touch more pressure and speed...remeber to focus on the sensetive areas and take care not 2 burn (think carpet burn)....remeber to stay consistent and pay equal attention across the whole body; proceed at constant rate (stop for a break if thats whats required although I don t like to recomend that); just make sure you finish the JOB ...talk to her and tell her how much you love her.You then proceed with a gentle hand rub down alll the way...from top to bottom........If you are able...you may wish to repeat the excercise for even more satisfying results....
So, the more often you do this, the better and more experienced you will be....I ve done many, many like this......and these days I can finish one off in 15 minutes or I can take my time and spend the whole day with her, ......the car (ofcourse)

I m loosing the plot now......might be better if you visited one of the abovementioned sites.....

cheers

dino

:D

:confused:

I think Dino is referring to a rotary...a random orbital really doesn't get that hot.

yep right,...rotary....can get hot....mind you, post was more about entertainment than serious information.....

cheers

dino

dino said:
yep right,...rotary....can get hot....mind you, post was more about entertainment than serious information.....

ok then... maybe someone like gti124 can give us some serious info... maybe a definitive guide to car detailing??

i for one am a bit confused about a few things like using mothers clay bar (it lists all sorts of cautions with the spray stuff, is it ok to get overspray on bits - like plastic?? do you do the whol;e car??) , using a lectric polisher - do yu need to mask off your plastic and glass? what do you do??

can you give us a step by step guide to detailing??

It's all been written already at www.bettercarcare.com

But to answer your question, clay is pretty straight forward to use. Avoid plastics as it can be a pain to get off, but it's not the end of the world if you do.

After washing and claying, you masking tape up any plastic bits before taking to it with a random orbital polisher.

...again colour dependant......using an orbital on a black/dark car without the right stuff??? your call.....polishing or at least the final coat should be done by hand....waxing defintelly....

cheers

dino

oh, my reccomendataions is to get the MOTHERS clay pack...
DONT get the Meg's one... its real crap IMHO...

The quick detailer really just doesnt work as good as the mothers & the clay is quite tricky to use as opposed to the mothers. It wanted to spend a lot more time sticking to the paint & leaving residue... more than likely a combination of the poor detailer from Megs.

The detailer from mothers leaves a really even coat, where as the megs seems to have a lot more surface tension & clumps together...

Now what to do with the Megs clay stuff :(

nate said:
oh, my reccomendataions is to get the MOTHERS clay pack...
DONT get the Meg's one... its real crap IMHO...

The quick detailer really just doesnt work as good as the mothers & the clay is quite tricky to use as opposed to the mothers. It wanted to spend a lot more time sticking to the paint & leaving residue... more than likely a combination of the poor detailer from Megs.

The detailer from mothers leaves a really even coat, where as the megs seems to have a lot more surface tension & clumps together...

Now what to do with the Megs clay stuff :(

Megs clay bar needs a lot, i mean A LOT, of lubrication. I do the clay after I washed the car before rinsing off and use the remaining 'soapy' water for lubrication, that way you don't need to rinse off again and you don't need to waste a bottle of quick detailer.

Jason

I prefer Final Inspection to Quick Detailer. I don't have a huge problem with the Meg Clay bar, but there are plenty of other ones out there. Although, I would never recommend the Meg bar...

Nate, have you use AIO with the Dewalt? What pad are you using?

Last edited:
GTI124 said:
I prefer Final Inspection to Quick Detailer. I don't have a huge problem with the Meg Clay bar, but there are plenty of other ones out there.

Nate, have you use AIO with the Dewalt? What pad are you using?

What's the difference between Final Inspection and Quick Detailer ?

Question, where can I get a good quality coordless random orbital buffer ?? Besides importing from overseas....

Jason

J206GTI said:
What's the difference between Final Inspection and Quick Detailer ?

Question, where can I get a good quality coordless random orbital buffer ?? Besides importing from overseas....

Jason

Jut find FI provides better lubrication... it's just a better product, I think. And you can get it in bulk.

I wouldn't get cordless, a ROB needs to have power and you can't get that in a battery. Just get a long cord.

Actually, would you be interested in my DeWalt? I'm thinking of getting a Porter Cable...