Car Care Products

How do ya clean swade ?

Whats safe to clean swade with (if anything) and is there anything I should be using to maintain it ?

I was told to go to a few good boot shops...
Havent taken the plunge yet, but generally have a look at the product (Suede, leather etc), think of another application (saddles, boots) and find similary products there..

ParanoidAndroid said:
Whats safe to clean swade with (if anything) and is there anything I should be using to maintain it ?

If you have a Pug you most probably have Alcantara, which is a synthetic suede. There's not much you can do to this except sing a damp cloth and perhaps a mild soap solution. It's very tough stuff though you don't really need to treat it with anything. Suede products normally don't work on it, but read the bottle carefully.

My car had a 'Ming paint finish protection' treatment done from new. In the little Ming warranty card it suggests it means 'there is no need to wax or polish your car' The previous owner also said that if you do wax it you will end up with a dud finish anyways. Is this all true ? So far what I've just done is wash and chamois the car and it looks waxed and polished. Anyone know anything about Ming paint treaments ?

im getting the urge to give my car a nice clean and wax this weekend :headbang:

ive got meguires gold class wax and the applicator pad that came with it, whats the best way of applying it??

also ive got a few chips and scratches, anyone know how to fix this?? i was htinking of getting some touchup paint, but it wont be smooth, so if i use a cutting compound, the clear coat will go, whats the best way of going about doing this???

also anyone used that meguires tyre black stuff?? how nice does it smell??? :)

ParanoidAndroid said:
My car had a 'Ming paint finish protection' treatment done from new. In the little Ming warranty card it suggests it means 'there is no need to wax or polish your car' The previous owner also said that if you do wax it you will end up with a dud finish anyways. Is this all true ? So far what I've just done is wash and chamois the car and it looks waxed and polished. Anyone know anything about Ming paint treaments ?

It's not worth the paper it's written on. Have a look at any of the links we've posted in this thread.

Xsara VTR said:
im getting the urge to give my car a nice clean and wax this weekend :headbang:

ive got meguires gold class wax and the applicator pad that came with it, whats the best way of applying it??

also ive got a few chips and scratches, anyone know how to fix this?? i was htinking of getting some touchup paint, but it wont be smooth, so if i use a cutting compound, the clear coat will go, whats the best way of going about doing this???

also anyone used that meguires tyre black stuff?? how nice does it smell??? :)

Wash the car with washing detergent (don'tuse detergent normally, just this once)
Apply Gold Class, wait for it to dry to a haze and take off with a microfibre or 100% cotton terry towel.

Chips won't be repaired with this. I posted a link up to one of Luca's questions recently on how to repair chips.
Scratches can be minimised with Gold Class, but you might need to prep with a cleaner/polish. This will be a mild abrasive which is completly fine for your clear coat.

You sound like you've heard a lot of wive's tales. Have a good read at http://www.bettercarcare.com/

GTI124 said:
It's not worth the paper it's written on. Have a look at any of the links we've posted in this thread.

I havnt been able to find to many 'facts' about it and people seem to have varied opinions. It was on the car when I bought it though so I have it and was just wondering how to maintain it. What can and cant I use on it etc ? I dont wanna try and use a product and find it just gives the car a dull finish. It does look polished pretty much all the time though without anything more than a wash and dry.

I doubt that there is much left on your car from the ming polish/sealant. Those two links should tell you all you need to know. I would be using a good top up like Meg's Polymer Sealant to top up the sealant that's on there...if there is any left at all.

I'm assuming that there is Ming sealant (or whatever it is) on the car because its still under warranty from Ming (for another 12 months). I cant imagine they would offer a warranty past the period when they thought the coating would last.

Thanks for the links. I had already checked those out though and not found out much. One was Ming ranting on and the other didnt really contain any info at all. I'm still wondering about my main Q which is can i wax the car or will this dull the finish ? I think I'll try and contact the place where the treatment was done and ask them.

Cheers for the help :)

I'd be 99% sure that adding a polish/sealant (Meguiars Gold Class or Deep Crystal Polymer Sealant) would enhance your finish, not dull it. My previous comments referred to the Ming treatment being mostly a waste of time, therefore meaning that you could add polish/wax without any problem. I would think Ming would say it would 'dull' your finish, so you could go back to them and spend more money... that'd be my guess.

Thats one thing that Klasse does...

It makes your paint less Bright, as i think it filters out the light. However the paint does look richer & the depth is still better!

i read all the answers and only saw one or two refrences to mothers line of products.when i saw the lyndsay fox car collection i saked what products are used on the ferraris and the expensive cars and was told that all the cars are cleaned waxed and polished with the mothers range.dont know if he has shares in the company but if you were gonna use them on all those cars i suppose it would have to be reasonably good.-BAZZ

From what i've gathered...

The main players are:
* Meguiars
* Mothers
* AutoGlym
* Sonax

Meg's leather care is very poor, so head for the hills for a saddlery... ;)

nate said:
Meg's leather care is very poor, so head for the hills for a saddlery... ;)
I use Dr Tork leather master .. it's for your aniline lounge chairs (which is how I found out about it in the first place) ... best there is IMHO. (expect to pay a bit).

- XTC -

bigbadbyrnes said:
funny, i always heard leather shammies were the bomb
I prefer them, but you have to realise they need to be treated with care and they don't last indefinately, yet to find a synthetic one I've been happy with - your milage may vary.

- gc -

Geez!

You blokes must have a heap of disposable income. McGuires, Mothers, $75 for this, $1000 or more for that.
Reading between the lines I'm thinking that most of your cars are fairly new Why are you polishing them? The paintwork on a modern car should be good for 12 months at least before polishing barring extremes,industrial fallout etc.
A good wax based car wash should do the trick normally.
It's a good idea to read the instructions on the polish to make sure it's OK for clear or metallic finishes.
I've been using Nu Finish on my '79 504. It offers a fairly good result on a finish that had been neglected by its previous owner. It's a gentle cream liquid, easy to apply and remove.Should be OK for a near new finish.
Beware of spray on tyre dressing, if you lean against them with your moleskins or chinos you'll end up with Pirelli or Michelin printed on your legs.
Showing my age here. Johnsons Car Plate was a great protective liquid wax product, wipe on, let dry then polish off. I suppose it was taken off the market because it wasn't "safe for the kiddies".
Regardless of what polish you use put it on and polish it off with cheesecloth.
:2cents:

Geez!

You blokes must have a heap of disposable income. MeGuires, Mothers, $75 for this, $1000 or more for that.
Reading between the lines I'm thinking that most of your cars are fairly new Why are you polishing them? The paintwork on a modern car should be good for 12 months at least before polishing barring extremes,industrial fallout etc.
A good wax based car wash should do the trick normally.
It's a good idea to read the instructions on the polish to make sure it's OK for clear or metallic finishes.
I've been using Nu Finish on my '79 504. It offers a fairly good result on a finish that had been neglected by its previous owner. It's a gentle cream liquid, easy to apply and remove.Should be OK for a near new finish.
Beware of spray on tyre dressing, if you lean against them with your moleskins or chinos you'll end up with Pirelli or Michelin printed on your legs.
Showing my age here. Johnsons Car Plate was a great protective liquid wax product, wipe on, let dry then polish off. I suppose it was taken off the market because it wasn't "safe for the kiddies".
Regardless of what polish you use put it on and polish it off with cheesecloth.
:2cents: