Car Care Products

For Leather ...

Dr.Tork Leather Master. - top stuff.

Works great on your aniline leather lounge chairs too (well that's whats it for really).

- XTC206 -

Wash - any decent car wash concentrate

Paint Cleaner - Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

Wax-polish - Meguiars Gold Class Clear coat wax

Wheels - Turtle tyre Form (good to clean any plastic surfaces like under guards, engine bay etc.

Leather - Mothers Leather cleaner and nourisher

Vinyl & Plastics - Armorall at the moment, only cause I have a metric ton of it.

I only use meguires, i belive in the saying, "you get what you pay for" & this product is a perfect example of it.

The stuff smells so good i use it in the stuff in the shower :D

What do you guys reckon is the best tyre shine & wheels (rims) cleaner??

For "perfect shine"......no matter what colour...even black.....use 3M micropolishing compound.....foam pad with plenty of water spray....probably take hlaf a day just to cut the car......then use chemical cleaner like meguires cleaner...sensational prep product and cheap 2.......Apply polish to vehicle by hand and buff of with microfibre (use a buff)...reapply second coat of polish
by hand and gently rubb of by hand.....FIREGLAZE was sensatinal for this.....but these days the autoglym extra gloss is pretty good....At this stage u can just leave it.....however if u ve used traditional polish.....finish off with 2-3 coats of CARNUBA WAX....ideally MOTHERS.....almost pure (no real cleaners in it) so u can layer it....

Follow the above.....and u should be able to DIP your fingers in the paint....if its a red car....should look like u can put a straw into the "wet look" paint....

cheers
dino

ps....for leather......mothers conditioner is great ....but beware...the mothers leather cleaner is a bit harsh (2 strong)......as for the mequires leather conditioner/cleaner....DONT WASTE your money, its CRAP....u will hate yourself if u use it on dark perforated leathers....clogs up everytthing and is powdery...

cheers
dino

What do you guys reckon is the best tyre shine & wheels (rims) cleaner??

.....u r right (mostly)......meguires does makesome sensational products and their HOT WHEELS wheel cleaner is a perfect example...that suff is sensational but at 20bucks a bottle its not cheap.....their tyre treatments (gels) are great 2...can buy a low or high gloss option....again not cheap but last a hell of a long time....

MY advice.......DO NOT be "attached" to any particular brand.....loyalty is fine but no reason to buy products that dont excell....ie....old mequires wheel cleanre was shitee...it was just 2 weak...their gold class leather cleaner/conditioner is another product u should keep away from...etc....

BUY the best INDIVIDUAL product any given company is renown for....

here are some of the BEST:

AUTOSOL.....metal polish
MEGUIRES......paint cleaner, hot wheels, glass cleaner,swirl remover, gold class polish/wax ceartinly seems to last
AUTOGLYM.....extragloss polish, resin polish, paint restorer....perfect for the older cars...one of very few cutters that come close to 3m...plus they make a great convertible top cleaner...
303.....enough said.....BEST interior trim treatment...hell u can even use it on leather....sensatinal stuff...and completely silicon free....
THEY (303) also do a sensational skotchguard style product....great for water proofing carpets and tops...
MOTHERS.....the HARD wax....beez kneees when it comes to carnuba wax....their wax cleaner is also good....lether conditioner...well i like it anyway....All wheel cleaner is good 2...mothers has a great range of wheel cleaners from mild....to acidic (could use it to clean bricks)
FIREGLAZE.....gone r the days....

and some of the cheapies....that are still quite good...

polyglaze bug and tar remover...is cheap and works well...
TURTLE WAX.....new swirl remover is actually not bad.....does a similar job to scratch-X...but cheaper and u get a large bottle 2....
Kitten ...polish.....cheap product...but more than delievers considering cost....
CRC....tyre foam.....again...cheap...gives u a week of shine....but does what promises....although i can t c anybody being able to do 32 tyres...dont think so...unless u own a mini...
etc etc etc....

anyway...gotta stop....

cheers
dino

Xsara VTR said:
has anyone used that turtle colour wax?? does it work??

I've never used a product as bad as Turtle. Took me a year to get the crap out of the paint. I considered suing them for a new paint job. :mad:

Cal.

Would not go near Turtle or Kitten with a 10 foot pole awful stuff :2cents:

Washed my car yesterday and the paint looks a treat, that PPG polish that the crash reapairer used is good stuff.. mmm buy a bottle of that or a bottle of Klasse All-in-One..

As for Meguiars they have some real dud products in their range as mentioned above and some really good ones always best to look around and try other products.

Just flicking through the Car Toys catalogue (auto/performance parts store in SA) and they have Swissol car care products the ultimate pack comes in at $1,349 :eek: you would want car looking better than new after spending that sort of money.

Kanebo Chamois - been using them for a number of years and work a treat and soak up plent of water and are easy to clean :headbang:

pugsy said:
Kanebo Chamois - been using them for a number of years and work a treat and soak up plent of water and are easy to clean :headbang:
Must second that. Forget about an overpriced leather chamois, they're not a patch on the Kanebo. I've been using them for years.

They've been rebranded as the Aion Plas Chamois, just under $8 a piece.

I use the Meguiars chamois, have always been happy with it. I think it's made by Kanebo anyway, i know Meguiar's terry towels are made by them. But once you're onto a good thing with a chamois, it's hard to switch brands. There are some better and cheaper alternatives to Kanebo and Meguiars on waxwizrd.com.au

Good advice Dino, don't follow brands blindly. I did that with Meguiars and have been disappointed, but up until recently it wasn't easy to get quality stuff that was better. Eg, 303 is only just becoming readily available.

Where do you buy 303 products I have'nt seen them around in auto shops. :confused:

Car paint- Mothers show-time and Sikken clay- good is its simlly works and applies damp. Bad is Sikken is a spraypainters trade product (ie can only buy 5lt or more big bucks!)
Mags and tyres- Nothing but warm soapy watter on the mags (mine are not clear coated, just gel coat over powder-coat paint) and Meguires on the tyres- Good lasts 1raining Sydney month! Bad, its not vey shini, but i like that.
Chamois- Sikkens or Speedo (swiming chamois) Good- the Speedo is 1meter by 1meter!!!!!!! and soaks heaps of water REAL fast, its also can;t fungy or dirt up, its a poduct for full-time swimmers. Bad- Hard to find and not cheap
Windscreen/windows- I firstly recommend a top-dollar tint, go for Quality! and then get a small box of razor blades and carefully angle swipe all the exterior window surfaces....trust me but take your time, works well, then clean with Metho/spirits and x2 diferent terry towels.
-chris

ps, as Lincon (gti124) knows i put most of my efffort on removing things to get to all those tricky spots. lights, number plates, side rubbing strips, the bottom corners on the front guards unbolted and prized away from the body slightly, all door/hatch/skirts rubbers, Roof rack rubbers, even removing the mags and cleaning the inside, brakes/susp etc....

pugsy said:
Where do you buy 303 products I have'nt seen them around in auto shops. :confused:

I got it from Auto-One, but am yet to find a reliable source. If you can't find it, I'm sure Dino would post it to you...

I used to use maguires gold class series, but now using maguires professional/mirror glaze series. It last much longer and gives you much more gloss.

I use:
#7 Show car Glaze
then followed by
#26 Yellow Wax

here's a few pics after the polish with thse products:
IMG0001.jpg

IMG0002.jpg

It's been around a month and it's still looks the same.

Jason

i use the same products on the Pug and will be using it on the ST. Only problem with the #26 is it stains black trim easily, just have to be very careful. I use a random orbital with it as well.

GTI124 said:
i use the same products on the Pug and will be using it on the ST. Only problem with the #26 is it stains black trim easily, just have to be very careful. I use a random orbital with it as well.

you can use a Wax and Grease remover from autobarn, cost around $8, it's a solvent that strips out wax and grease and I tried it on the black trim. Works like magic - stings the heck out of any creature that can smell !! :dead:

Jason

has anyone seen a product for quick polishing, spray it on after washing BEFORE you chamois??

i saw it at a bob janes when i got my allignment done.

one product to stay away from- mothers "back to black" for plastic. Works great when you first put it on, but within a day or 2, the plastic goes back to greyer and splotchier than it was to start with!

bloody annoying.

last time i was at paul v's he said there has some guck you could get from holden which is like a paste, which will make your plastic like new again. annyone tried this one??

Just thought i'd add a few comments to the ol thread!

Just detailed my mothers car...
Used Mothers Clay pack, ITS EXCELLENT!!! got rid of all the hard burnt in Bat poop! Then Klasse'd all the way round, the difference the clay made was HUGE! made the paintwork like glass again.

I've also done my car with Klasse (& wheels), used the All in one, then 3 coats of Sealant Glaze, came up a treat & most comment that i must have just polished it! When i've only given it a quick wash.
Thou the Klasse does dull the paint a bit, it appears to cut some of the light from the metallic paint, but i'm after the protection more!

The Microfibre cloths/chamois are great!!! you should all give em a try, work well, pull off water & dont clog!

I was also able to remove all the water marks from my roof with the All in one Klasse, but it took HEAPS of elbow grease...

The Vinylex stuff i got is also great!!! brings up the rubbers a treat & as long as you wipe it off after application (makes an nice even coat) it doesnt run. Much better than any other product i've used on rubber/plastic.

mi16_weapon said:
has anyone seen a product for quick polishing, spray it on after washing BEFORE you chamois??

i saw it at a bob janes when i got my allignment done.

one product to stay away from- mothers "back to black" for plastic. Works great when you first put it on, but within a day or 2, the plastic goes back to greyer and splotchier than it was to start with!

bloody annoying.

last time i was at paul v's he said there has some guck you could get from holden which is like a paste, which will make your plastic like new again. annyone tried this one??
I used the Mothers 'back to black' on the cooks car to go up to Lismore and it seem's ok.
I had to re-apply it the day after, and I gave the car another coat of it at Lismore and the bumpers still look black now.
I think it needs a large aplication at first to let the plastic to absorb it?

Mothers have a good interior protectant as well. :2cents:

:cheers: