Car Care Products

GTI124 said:
Jut find FI provides better lubrication... it's just a better product, I think. And you can get it in bulk.

I wouldn't get cordless, a ROB needs to have power and you can't get that in a battery. Just get a long cord.

Actually, would you be interested in my DeWalt? I'm thinking of getting a Porter Cable...
oh...i thought this would be great:
http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-1&store=meg

depends, if i can't find a decent one here i might get it from you. :)

Jason

yeah go the Power Cord version, 650W from a battery doesnt happen :)

I've used the AIO with the de-walt linc, just use a Festool 488343 pad...
its a thick foam/velcro pad, about 1" thick.

Works a treat, great results!

I use Coacholine Leather Dressing. Always wear a shirt or something when sitting on leather, it is the body salts from perspiration that hardens leather and makes it crack. If you want to clean stainless steel or chrome, and even glass; use a dry soap-free Steelo/Jex pad. Make sure you dust off the residue or it will rust with humidity. Don't worry it will not scratch. Never use a scouring pad as they will scratch.

GTI124 said:
The DeWalt 443 is the best random orbital available in Australia. Some autopians use it in the US instead of the Porter Cable.

How much do these retail for in Australia ? I'm considering getting something like this...

If any out there is looking for a good value Random orbital polisher a number of Aussies at Autopia:
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=49943
are using an Hitachi polisher, the Glenfords store in SA retails them for $139 with backing plate, if you cannot afford the DeWalt, like me, this looks the go, I will hopefully get one in a few weeks time :)

Last edited:
pugsy said:
If any out there is looking for a good value Random orbital polisher a number of Aussies at Autopia:
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=49943
are using an Hitachi polisher, the Glenfords store in SA retails them for $139 with backing plate, if you cannot afford the DeWalt, like me, this looks the go, I will hopefully get one in a few weeks time :)

Yeah, Hitachi make some great value products. I just went the whole hog last time :)

Just thought I let people know there is a new online car products shop that has popped, it's based in QLD, it's called www.waxit.com.au (there is 15% off until the 24th of March) it has a range of excellent products like Wolfgang, Klasse, Pinnacle and my favourite Poorboys, I orderded a bottle of Poorboys EXP sealant many months ago from the US, excellent stuff and makes the paint very slick. :banana:

You can get proper sander/polishers quite cheaply in Australia now. ie: less than 100bux. After all do you really think your going to wear it out :confused:

Personally all you guys with your new little poogoes shouldn't go near one, you'll just learn how to knock all the edges off & destroy your new paint jobs. Keep away from your cars with cutters, you'll just put swirl marks in them.

If your someone that's painting an old car .... go for it... If you burnt some edges off, or buff through, you can paint/fix it again yourself.

About 4years ago after years of looking for a 2nd hand or cheap polisher I finally gave in and purchased a Makita sander/polisher ... within months the cheap ones from china arrived on the market (doh !!!). Oh well.... It'll last a lifetime when I lucky to find time to use it once every two years :rolleyes: And yes I have burnt/buffed my way through several edges. Nothing like learning from your mistakes.

seeya,
Shane L.

DC

FWIW - I think there are specific random orbital/oscillating polishers as opposed to the cheap high speed rotating polishers. The exxy oscillating ones work at a much slower speed and aren't as likely to dig in and remove paint on edges...

I agree that I also think cutters and traditional polishes are useless and bad to use on a new car (or one with good paint) but when I suggested this on a thread a few weeks ago I was informed by the many experts here that I was full of it...

I have never used anything other than Nu Finish or Meguires NXT (both modern polymer waxes that are only superfluously abrasive) once a month or two and my car is 20 years old and the paint still looks pretty good to me...

Buffing a new car will often have you using something else to remove the buff mark which defeats the purpose..

Hmm,

ok, however I can't see a random orbital polisher being any good. How do you do anything other than the flat parts of big panels :confused:

With those new cars I'd just buy a huge roll of polishing cloth, a good quality polish (without cutting agents) and do it by hand. After all the little poogoes .... There aint much of them. It's not like there polishing a DS or big Merc.

seeya,
Shane L.

Ok, were talking the little random orbital sanders (I didn't even think of putting a polishing cloth on one of these).

I have a little dewalt orbital sander I use to sand back car panels. I wouldn't use it for polish as you would need about 235, 485 polishing pads for it ... You'd instantly clog up a little buffing pad in one of them :confused: You could still burn the paint with one if your careless, the do spin at a decent speed, especially if you used a pad clogged up with polish.

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane, the dewalt I'm using it pretty much identical to the Porter Cable in this article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

I'm sure I've posted this article before, it shows the benefit of using one over hand polishing. Even a modern car can have it's finish deteriorate pretty quickly if treated badly.

Living in the inner city of Sydney under trees all of the time can destroy a paint job in 12 months without proper care.

GTI124 said:
Shane, the dewalt I'm using it pretty much identical to the Porter Cable in this article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

I'm sure I've posted this article before, it shows the benefit of using one over hand polishing. Even a modern car can have it's finish deteriorate pretty quickly if treated badly.

Living in the inner city of Sydney under trees all of the time can destroy a paint job in 12 months without proper care.

OK, the last link was to a little sander, however your link looks like a proper polishing machine, but with a random type gearing balance weight stuck on the end of it.

I still think once you learn how to use a proper sander/polisher it will be better to polish with (though no doubt I'll still burn/cut through paint). My little dewalt is a palm sander you hang onto with one hand. It would only have about a 5" disc (ie: be way to small to polish with).

I've been reading through this thread..... Gee's you guys have some time on your hands .... I'm lucky to wash my car every 6months let alone spend days detailing as described in the posts (no doubt first time I drove it after all that work it get dirty again :mad: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

When you say "proper" do you mean a rotary sander/polisher? Now that's something that is quite dangerous in the hands of an amateur! If I have something that is that serious I'll be taking it to someone.

Just washed the car after leaving mud on it for 2 weeks (i was away... new job... etc etc)

Paint is marked... :( *sob*
like little etching marks i think...
Time for the #7 & some more Klasse!

Though it hasnt been that long since the last klasse, so i mite be ok!

young 4 old pug said:
Ive found kitten weindow cleaner really good, so much that dad now uses it on all his windows at his home out on the farm!
The best I've found so far is the Enjo cloth that's designed for windows. Just uses water and leaves no streaks. The only problem you'll probably have to sit through one of the parties. Just enter and leave under the cover of darkness and you may not be seen :joker:

Found a couple of interesting things in SuperCheap today also. Armourall have released car wash wipes. So if your car needs a quick going over and you don't feel like pulling out all the gear, just use the wipes. Could be expensive to do regularly, but if you need a quick once over before a hot date could be just the thing :D . Especially with the headaches you guys north of the border have with water restrictions.

The other was from Eagle 1. Wax and dry. A spray on wax that you applies while you chamoised your car after a wash. Not too sure how good that'd be though.

Anyone had any experiences with these?

Matt

window cleaner: Mothers (blue in colour, safe on tints)
Tyres: Eagle One wet tyre look (i think) its best to use the applicator, last a good time, even thru the wet and wont leave black stuff on your paint.
if you've got any scratches freckler, great cut and polish,
again mothers wax is good, but for sure the final inspection
rainX on the windows rocks

Last edited: