Updating the Australian GS/A Register

Hi Graham
Thanks for the reply. I also need the two numbers before the G, and would like the original paint codes, if you still have the little disc above the id plate on the firewall - AC--- .
Hope they're going well.
Cheers

BUMP
For 2 reasons:
1. I've just got back from ICCCR where the owners of the few GS's attending kept asking me "How many are there still in Australia?" and I couldn't even guesstimate.
2. I've just become one of those people struck by the desire to know what's happened to my old car, like Chris. In my case it's the first CX I ever drove, a Super I've just discovered was under threat of being crushed in Victoria a few weeks ago, along with a pair of GS's that had to be cleared.

Even if you know a car is about to be destroyed, please send details to the register, to help past owners know the fate of their once loved.

I know some of you are awaiting updates to the register - I promise that I will get to it before the end of the year. Been absent from work for 2 months and don't know what awaits, so I'm not going to make any rash promises about deadlines :) .

I can report a pale blue later GS with rego JSP875 was scrapped in country NSW last year. It went with a metallic blue and an orange Pallas, all 1220's as far as I know, but I have no more information. Who knows what they'll come back as???

Gs

last I heard, a guy called Mark Buran had taken ownership of my old GS, formerly reg'd HFT189.

AJ sent me a shot of the car in his ownership en route elsewhere, and a wreck compared to when I sold it in 1997. Jeez, I was stupid.

It was delta blue and a 1974 GS 1220 estate.

I have texted Mark, twice but he doesn't want to know me. Cool.

If anyone knows if it could have been on sold, and potentially lying about somewhere, please let me know.

I will fix all over again, but must be the right car.

How someone could let a nice one sold fully restored could let fall into rack and ruin is beyond me.

They are a lovely machine, and a real cit in my opinion.

Chris Mortimer

4 / 72 Build GS Convertisseur Sedan original white with deep red interior in good condition
original service books indicate a engine rebuild just before layup..last reg 1990
First owner Tony Camilleri of Wattle Glen, previous Vic reg BUD 281
serviced at Spencer Jeffcott Motors spencer st Melb.
engine 0600005040 rebuilt at 33,614 kms 1-4-88 speedo now at
Chassis 12GA8211 color AC 088

Attachments

• DSC03249.jpg
    DSC03249.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC03251.jpg
    DSC03251.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 574
  • DSC03252.jpg
    DSC03252.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC03260.jpg
    DSC03260.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC03261.jpg
    DSC03261.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC03262.jpg
    DSC03262.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Hi Bruce
Beige GS 1220 Club Convertisseur Wagon VB-4444 formerly owned by Roy Von Bock now living in Melbourne & on Vic Club plates with COCOA (14897-H). Colour AC 083, Body # GX-GC-08GC3845. 6/74 build, NSW rego records show 5 previous owners, first reg 1/75. If you need any other details or a digital image of the car for the database please PM me.

2 other GSs at Terang, Victoria
Leconte and I got parts from these in late Jul and mid Aug 2012 before what was left was to be picked up and crushed. Also a 2200 Beige CX Super sedan on the same property SA reg VPC-077, destined for the same fate.

1978 Metallic Green GS Pallas sedan - former Vic Reg AHG-037, expiry date on label 20 Oct 2006. Current owner told us he drove them to where they currently sadly sit. Engine # 0647018708. We have dash, nice green bootlid and a few other parts. The engine in this was described as "smoky". From memory it was out of the car. Metallic Green same as Lamoor's GS before its restoration.

1975 GS Wagon manual Beige AC 083- will confirm last Victorian reg, this car was driven to Terang as recently as 2009 and came from around Maryborough, Central Victoria before this. Very badly rusted. We "saved" 4 doors, tailgate, dash, side windows of wagon area. And the engine and manual gearbox both of which the person we bought off had already removed from the car.

Digital images of both cars and the CX available.

Regards
John

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the info - we now have a new contender for earliest 1015 chassis number on the register.
John, I saved a photo of the Terang GS's that you posted, but unfortunately the Victorian rego label of the Pallas doesn't give a full chassis number, and I don't list by engine numbers as they get swapped too often.
I'm hoping to get a few more cars and get this to Kimmo by the end of this month, so if anyone-else wants to add to the list, please do so.

Hi Bruce,
Leconte here, J'aime la vie's brother. I have a photo of the chassis plate of the green pallas from terang, it is manufactured 9/77 and chassis number 55GB2073. Type = "G/S". This is an aluminium plate of Citroen Cars (CITCO) pty ltd of 295 Broadway, Glebe NSW. This is an ADR plate like we see them on more recent cars. I went back to Terang and took a few more parts off the Pallas (dash, front spheres, a few other bits) but the cars were certainly lined up for the scrap metal merchant unfortunately.
Is this enough to identify it? I think I took the plate off the car and bought it back, if so it is in a box of parts here or at my brothers house.
Cheers, leconte

Thanks Leconte, that is the number I need. This car, as suggested by its grey headlight surrounds, was one of the first batch of the series 2 Pallas models imported to Australia. My gold one is the only other 55 I have on the Register, and it probably also going to be scrapped due to rust. Did either of you get the numbers from the wagon?
Cheers

Hi Bruce,
Yes, I have the number for the GS wagon from a photo of the plate. It is type GX, Serie GC, number 14GC3254. It was last registered in victoria as RBA-741. The engine number (we now have the engine) is 0645004301.

Regards,
Leconte

Last edited:
Whoops, made a bit of an error there - shouldn't rely on the memory. My early one is a 53, this green one and most the others of the first batch are 55's.
Thanks for the details of the wagon.

Thanks to all who have supplied information, it has been an enormous help.
So far the GS/A Register is still looking rather short, even though I've now added scrapped cars to the list.
76 vehicles in total - 9 x GXGA; 3 x GXGE (breaks); 16 x GXGB Club; 22 x GXGB Pallas; 18 x GXGC (breaks); 1 x GXGH; 5 x GSA; 2 x Birotor. The GSA's and Birotors I've listed even if I don't have chassis identifiers /VINs - they are so rare here they are unlikely to get confused.

As the experience with Chris M's old car has shown, listing only registration numbers creates problems with later identification, so unless there is an obvious way of identifying a car by unusual colour or modification I prefer to keep a vehicle out of the Register until a chassis number is known. If you know you've sent me only partial details, I'm keeping them elsewhere for the moment.

If you used to own a GS, or want your present car/s included please send me the following information by the end of the month:
Model, Year, engine size and gearbox type, Chassis #, Colour (including code if disc is there)/ any past colour, known registration number/s, known location/s (general), owners (let me know if you don't want your name published), if you know if the car is scrapped, and a digital photo if possible.

I'm still chasing chassis numbers (or more) for cars that have had the following registration numbers/ descriptions: 504GAU/183AKA; Ex- Hemimetal and Graham66's orange wagon (don't have the first two numbers after GXGC); GS1222; AUS25H; OGS750; 061PUP; BH74PY; BM32TU; 938HMP/ZAM99.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. If you think you sent me the information BEFORE the great aussiefrogs crash, it was probably lost with the wiki, please check the register published on the website at the beginning of this year:http://www.citroenclubqld.org and resend any missing details if possible.

Last edited:
Bruce, a great job being done by you. Let us keep the lovely GS alive forever. They are previous and will become a classic one day.

We had the TV on Sunday and there was a 70s movie on, and there is a lengthy scene involving a car carrier loaded with new GS's and AMI cars. WOW!!

i hope my old one turns up.

Chris M

You can add/update my car on the database:
Rego - 760 HVB
Paint/AC - 079
No - 18GC8393
Year -1976
CC - 1220 (Big Block!!)
Gearbox - Manual
Colour - Cream
Body Type - Wagon

Also, I think it is a UK Import?

Thanks
Andrew

Thanks Andrew - will appear when the next update gets uploaded (there must be something about Andrews and GS's - 4 owners I can immediately think of with that name).

I've never been able to find out what happened to mine.
It was a 1974 GS 1220 Club.
I bought it from a Holden dealer down around Cheltenham or Mentone in 1978. It was red and needed a new diff. It had belonged to a doctor. I bought a diff from a dealer in Kuala Lumpur and New Deal Motors in Dandenong put it in for me.
I did it up and modified it a bit and sold it in the mid '80s to a guy from down Bairnsdale way.
Apart from the addition of the later model tail-lights and boot lid trim, it had narrower rally bucket seats, a CX centre console with handbrake lever, power windows and cruise control, and a reupholstered back seat from a station wagon which allowed it to be folded down for a bigger load area.

Attachments

• GS b.jpg
    GS b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I've never been able to find out what happened to mine.
It was a 1974 GS 1220 Club.

I did it up and modified it a bit and sold it in the mid '80s to a guy from down Bairnsdale way.
Apart from the addition of the later model tail-lights and boot lid trim, it had narrower rally bucket seats, a CX centre console with handbrake lever, power windows and cruise control, and a reupholstered back seat from a station wagon which allowed it to be folded down for a bigger load area.

GS.jpg
The Guy may have been Mel Carey or may be known to Mel. Contact him at Citro Motors and see if he knows.
The modifications to the rear seat are a brilliant idea. I could always use a bit more load space in mine!
Was there much hassle involved?

Thanks Gerry.
My use of the word modification with respect to the rear seat changes is a slight exaggeration. All you need is a station wagon rear seat and squab with its piano hinge, and the 2 latches that lock the squab in the upright position at both top corners.

If you remove the trim where the latches go you'll find the mounting holes with (from memory) their captive nuts for attaching the latches. If you remove the sedan's seats and lift any insulating felt you'll find the row of screw holes for the piano hinge, and under the carpet next to the rear doors on either side you'll find the holes that take the wagon seat pivot bolts. It's so simple you wonder why it wasn't standard.

Is there much difference in the wagon seat from that of a standard seat or is it only the addition of the articulating components from the wagon?