Updating the Australian GS/A Register

Two wrecked GS's to add/change on register

Hi Bruce,

Mark (leconte) here from Victoria. Several years ago we stripped some parts off a pair of GS cars down at Terang in south west Victoria. I posted a thread at the time encouraging others to get in touch with the owner because the cars were going to scrap metal shortly after our two visits. See post: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/pa...fs-1978-citroen-gs-pallas-sedan-wrecking.html

I have the serial number plates and compliance plates from both cars. There were a few papers in the cars with a few hints on history of the wagon, but nothing I think from the later GS Pallas sedan.

Both cars can be assumed to have been scrapped now.

The details I have are:

1975 Beige GS wagon 1220 Club Manual transmission. Compliance plate date 12/75 Serial number plate Type: GX Serie: GC Number: 14GC3254. Last registered in Victoria as RBA-741. Have a Vicroads rego certificate from 1994 and 1995 registered to Keith McDowell of Allansford, Victoria. There is an earlier set of records from NSW in 1976 through 1980 linking the same car to NSW registration HRZ-327 which was bought from Citco on 14.06.1976 with 2303km on the clock and was owned by a company "Order Pty Ltd" of Pyrmont. We have the motor and dashboard and some other parts from this car, it was in a very bad state. The compliance plate comes from Citco in Glebe. It may have been sold on the a C.J.Hatton of Razorback via Picton NSW on 7/3/1979 at 41,000 km.

1977 Green GS Pallas Sedan. Compliance plate 9/77 from Citco in Glebe also. The serial plate has details Type: GX Serie: GB Serial number 55GB2073. I don't think we have any registration number or other details for this car, if I find some I will let you know.

Hope this adds some details to your register and maybe others can add some more history on the cars one day.

We (my brother and I) still own our 1974 GS wagon that was the 'Von Bock' car previously registered as VB4444.

Regards
Mark (leconte)

Thanks Mark.
I have to admit that I've been slack updating the Register. The two cars you mention are on it, but not all the owner details you've now supplied. From memory, your photos of the Pallas had a registration label with plate number which was included on the Register.

I tried to make some changes to layout to make it more easily viewable on different devices last year, but don't remember enough about coding and stuffed it up. What then showed up on 'preview' didn't look the same once saved. I had to reimport the previous pages of coding. I'd like to make a more obvious distinction between known wrecked and possibly still existing, but it will take a couple of hours I need to spend on keeping my cars running instead :)

I realise reading this thread that I never added a couple of cars for which Michael sent me the details, and never got beyond trying to cross reference a couple of cars on Greg's list with those on the Register. Getting the Register up to scratch is beginning to look like a project for whenever I get to retire :)

Bruce - Issue loading photos (exceeded limit), but managed to get couple up

Orange GS Break from late George Hamada's Melbourne estate circa '17. I put this on For Sale site in '17 (green GS sedan was thrown in)

I believe the car may now be in the hands of a CCCV member

Pretty sure Chassis No. 13GC372S/4
Build 3/75

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 207
I own the ex George Hamada car, now painted silver, and close to running.
I have a blue parts car, type GX YL chassis 09YL2862
I also have a GSA which I will supply chassis number in the near future.

I've never been able to find out what happened to mine.
It was a 1974 GS 1220 Club.
I bought it from a Holden dealer down around Cheltenham or Mentone in 1978. It was red and needed a new diff. It had belonged to a doctor. I bought a diff from a dealer in Kuala Lumpur and New Deal Motors in Dandenong put it in for me.
I did it up and modified it a bit and sold it in the mid '80s to a guy from down Bairnsdale way.
Apart from the addition of the later model tail-lights and boot lid trim, it had narrower rally bucket seats, a CX centre console with handbrake lever, power windows and cruise control, and a reupholstered back seat from a station wagon which allowed it to be folded down for a bigger load area.

Nearly 7 years on, still wondering if anyone has any knowledge of my old GS.

GS b.jpg

Check the link at the bottom of my signature here for the updated pages.

After working on the Xantia yesterday morning, I was supposed to be packing up some stuff in my study when I came across some notes for the Register. Checked the internet and speed was ok, so I spent a couple of hours trying to upload some new photos (Gaston & others), update some records (Smurf and GSA) and add a couple of cars (SNT & a wrecked wagon). As usual, I stuffed up a line of code, and spent 20 minutes locating where I’d missed the < that was mucking up columns.

In the process, I also couldn’t locate all the info I knew I’d found or been sent in the last year (found two more names I haven’t added last night). If you see there’s something I’ve missed, could you please either add a reply here or pm me, rather than use the email link on the webpage. I can’t promise I’ll get back to it soon (still packing to do), but at least I’ll know where to look when I do get back to it.

I’ve only added one link to another website (the electric GXGB), but plan to do so for the restoration threads on here for the relevant cars.

Hi Bruce. At your leisure, perhaps an update on GiSelle's listing (GXGB 35GB 3953) to reflect that she's now fully re-trimmed in blue?

Everything else is right.

By your records, then, GiSelle is the earliest Pallas known?

Cheers, Pottsy.

Last edited:
At the moment, yes, GiSelle is the earliest in Australia. Not likely to be a lot of competition here, as the first series Pallases were all private imports / o’seas deliveries and therefore were always few and far between.
There was another one here in Brisbane (Delta blue, with black roof/ Webasto) in the eighties / early nineties but I don’t know what became of it / assume it was wrecked. Quite possibly others interstate I don’t know about.

I was chuffed to discover the AC643 bleu petrel disque under the LHM tank. will rivet back on when allowed to access the shed again. I was a bit miffed it was missing and just like my D found the disc under a pile of greasy crud when fossicking around. I remember when I first bought the D seeing the paint code disc and it just dropped into nowhere then years later as I started restoring found it waiting there to provide evidence of the paintjob.

Updated, with a link to the 50th anniversary run, a couple of edits, and the addition of several cars.

I didn’t get a chassis number for the 1974 orange Club that was for sale in Victoria on carsales - no longer listed. Does anyone have its details?

petermelb, any more news on your vehicles?

I haven’t added links to aussiefrogs restoration threads yet.

Updated, with a link to the 50th anniversary run, a couple of edits, and the addition of several cars.
I didn’t get a chassis number for the 1974 orange Club that was for sale in Victoria on carsales - no longer listed. Does anyone have its details?...
G'day Bruce - Just rang the previous owner and will see if I can get the 1974 orange Club detail you require

Appreciate your register efforts

Just updated the new owner details for the 2 silver Pallases that have gone to Perth, and updated the new registration and photo of another.

The remains of my 1975 GS Break/Estate (in Adelaide) needs to be disposed of in the next month or so. What's left is effectively anything not removable from the main body, the tailgate (still in situ) and the seats.

I would prefer that those remains got another life, but if not, it'll have to be scrapped.

Chris

PS I thought this car was on the GS Register, but I don't see it there. I recall finding some reference to earlier - perhaps original? - Victoria rego (prior to SA). We're house downsizing so if I find that Vic. rego (currently missing in action), I'll post it here. C.

Attachments

• 20200229_150207-s.jpg
    20200229_150207-s.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200303_103225-s.jpg
    20200303_103225-s.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
The remains of my 1975 GS Break/Estate (in Adelaide) needs to be disposed of in the next month or so. What's left is effectively anything not removable from the main body, the tailgate (still in situ) and the seats.

I would prefer that those remains got another life, but if not, it'll have to be scrapped.

Chris

PS I thought this car was on the GS Register, but I don't see it there. I recall finding some reference to earlier - perhaps original? - Victoria rego (prior to SA). We're house downsizing so if I find that Vic. rego (currently missing in action), I'll post it here. C.
Added, Chris.
Do you have a date on a compliance plate, as I have the usual interesting case where an earlier chassis number is noted as a later year than yours. (Probably just that the other wagon was released from bond store later.)

Thanks, Bruce.

It doesn't seem to have a compliance plate. If it did, I assume it would look similar to that on an Australian delivered 1974 DS23 I used to own and sold earlier this year.

Perhaps it was a private import? My 1974 GS sedan was a private import (delivered to a South Australian in Paris) and doesn't have a compliance plate.

Chris

Bruce,

I am in the process of moving house and a couple of days ago I stumbled across an RACV membership keytag which I found in my 1975 GS Estate, which has now been dismantled and sadly, the remnant body (excluding everything removable) scrapped. It was disheartening to see the huge excavator grab the body and crumple it like tissue paper.

Anyway, the Rego. Number on the RACV membership keytag was AIC-717 - presumably Victorian. The kegtag says the RACV membership expired on 1 December 1979. I wonder if this was the original owner?

I hope this information is worth adding to the Register.

By the way, although I have a '74 GS sedan - but not a GS Estate - I thought it worthwhile salvaging the tailgate and the rear windows, in case someone is looking for those parts. The tailgate has some rust, but I believe it could be refurbished - and the tailgate window is undamaged.

Chris

Heard yesterday that a Citroen collector has been told that most of his collection is under flood water, including what were some of the very good GS’s listed on the Register, as well as other rare cars. No idea of their eventual fate, as it may be days before water goes down far enough for access to be gained. Nothing compared to what many have lost so far across SE Queensland and northern NSW but a pity nonetheless and I feel sorry for the owner.

Last edited: