Tragedy

Regretfully "Third Party" is NOT rmac.

John

Wouldn't the Third Party cover of your Comprehensive Insurance, cover the subsequent losses resulting from the one 'accident'?.
If it's an option, then I guess it will be the least preferred one, from the insurance company's point of view.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Wow, there's a bit of restoration there Ross!

So, your D was insured for an "agreed value". You can not argue for a cent more with an agreed value as you can for market value.

You certainly will need to sharpen up on spray painting skills (or undertake a course?)

You may consider, it may be possible to locate a complete but unrestored D at a reasonable price - they do come up.

Regards,

John

Spent some time last night gathering prices for replacement parts - mainly the interior but soon racked up 5017euros = $7,508 worth of gear.

Problem is the insurance payout won't stretch far enough at that rate. Not by the time stripping and repainting the car is done. May have to brush up on my spray painting skills.

Warning to everyone - make sure you include your labour (at a commercial rate) in placing a value on any car you restore. I was far too conservative and it now cramps my options.

Proof that people don't talk to each other. A bit like a funeral director touting for your business a month after they have buried you!!!
Scan-170823-0003.jpg

On a different tack the last new C5 in Australia finally was scheduled to be loaded onto a truck for the trip west yesterday (Tues 22 Aug) just short of three weeks since I made contact. I have a friend who complained of a lack of say in matters he is paying for. It is the case, I tell him, that the more you pay the less say you get.

Once the insurance co. got involved I had no say in the matter and was forced to wear the bureaucratic lag involved with two organisations (possibly three - if Citroen played any part)

What would happen if we didn't have our previous vehicle (we didn't trade it in) no-one seems to worry about. That we live eight kms from town, where there is no public transport doesn't seem to make any impact on the metro-centric.

take it down there and say fix this! Imagine what the world will look like if the internet breaks!

i should imagine that a battery that had a big time short would produce a lot of gas ,is it hydrogen i think, my old man taught me when charging a battery remove the caps [this was the old days ] and when disconnecting switch off mains first ,as any arching could ignite the gas produced ,i'm thinking that this gas is lighter than air will accumulate under the bonnet ,if there's some arching going on ,big chance its going to go off with a bang ,the diesel down the front of the engine isn't going to help matters ,sounds similar to what you described ,i story was relayed to me about a peugeot that came into the dealers on the gold coast burnt out ,apparently the starter cable can be pinched ,there's a bracket that can be loosened and swung out of the way ,to make access to the oil filer easier ,the cable can be pinched if care isn't taken to ensure the cable is out of the way when replacing the bracket ,that car was duly dispatched to the crushers accompanied by an official from the distributor in bris ,never to be seen again ,i can contact my source ,about year and model , ,the list of vins supplied earlier would indicate that this is a known fault ,i have held off on this as i didn't want to open a can of worms ,i live out of town i feel your pain ,especially loosing your classic ,we seem to spend years paying insurance , only to find in the end we are beaten by the fine print ,pugs ps could be down to whoever replaced the filter last

rmac!

Not followed all this thread, however have you seen the article on-- caradvice.com.au re. the recall for 2015/2016 C5 X7 cars. It is regarding a battery cable shorting out problem.
Allan.

Spent some time last night gathering prices for replacement parts - mainly the interior but soon racked up 5017euros = $7,508 worth of gear.

Problem is the insurance payout won't stretch far enough at that rate. Not by the time stripping and repainting the car is done. May have to brush up on my spray painting skills.

Warning to everyone - make sure you include your labour (at a commercial rate) in placing a value on any car you restore. I was far too conservative and it now cramps my options.

Looking at the photos, I had 3 thoughts....

First, out of the ashes and the insurance money there's the making of a good DS there. Second, oh boy aren't we all getting ripped off nowadays by the remanufactured parts providers; its great that everything is available and very close to original, but anything that needs tidying up or returning to standard soon runs into many thousands. Third, what's the least cost route to getting it roadworthy, the critical path?

If the mechanical stuff isn't too badly damaged or repairable, what if you strip it out, make it into a project car, give it a rat rod appearance, buy a few big tins of POR and hand paint the chassis and floor, leave the dash out, the headlining out, the carpets out, tape the steering wheel, get some s/h seats and bonnet etc. Once it's running again it'll drive like a DS, ride like a DS, feel like a DS etc. It won't be (probably can't be) the car it once was, but I wonder if there might be a compromise position that would be interesting/satisfying at some level.

Apologies in advance for suggesting this! I ran a rough Safari for many years, thoroughly enjoyed it and always think a rough DS with good mechanicals and hydraulics is only 10% short of an immaculate Pallas :)

i should imagine that a battery that had a big time short would produce a lot of gas ,is it hydrogen i think, my old man taught me when charging a battery remove the caps [this was the old days ] and when disconnecting switch off mains first ,as any arching could ignite the gas produced ,i'm thinking that this gas is lighter than air will accumulate under the bonnet ,if there's some arching going on ,big chance its going to go off with a bang ,the diesel down the front of the engine isn't going to help matters ,sounds similar to what you described ,i story was relayed to me about a peugeot that came into the dealers on the gold coast burnt out ,apparently the starter cable can be pinched ,there's a bracket that can be loosened and swung out of the way ,to make access to the oil filer easier ,the cable can be pinched if care isn't taken to ensure the cable is out of the way when replacing the bracket ,that car was duly dispatched to the crushers accompanied by an official from the distributor in bris ,never to be seen again ,i can contact my source ,about year and model , ,the list of vins supplied earlier would indicate that this is a known fault ,i have held off on this as i didn't want to open a can of worms ,i live out of town i feel your pain ,especially loosing your classic ,we seem to spend years paying insurance , only to find in the end we are beaten by the fine print ,pugs ps could be down to whoever replaced the filter last

You are referring to the RHR motor . Should have held off a bit more lol. It's very important to have all the facts

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Recall of a 2015 C5 Tourer in France yesterday for "risk of short circuits" .....how strange!

Post on a French Citroen site :

"Bonjour,
Je viens de recevoir un rappel (en recommandé):
GBN : vérification de l'orientation de la cosse d'alimentation du démarreur, afin d'éviter un court-circuit par un éventuel contact avec l'environnement.

Voiture: C5 Tourer XTR 180 BVA exclusive+ de nov. 2015."

Rough translation:
"I received a recall by registered post re: verification of the orientation of the positive cable to the starter to avoid possible short circuit via contact with the surroundings".

Is Citroen suddenly aware of the problem after Rmac's event?

The 180 CV motor is the one subject to the Australian notice. It's the AHW engine, rather uncommon here. It was in the last batch.

... Is Citroen suddenly aware of the problem after Rmac's event?

No, it's a different engine installation and the recall pre-dated rmac's fire. So, not directly related. It's a check on the orientation of the connector at the starter and most cars being recalled may even be quite OK as built. The VIN list given earlier in this thread shows only a handful of C5s, three of which were apparently Pearl White wagons. So, it would not apply to rmac's burnt car.

This afternoon we removed one of the carcasses and placed it in the cemetery.

DSC00144 copy.jpg
DSC00147 copy.jpgThe last C5 delivered in WA on its last trip.
DSC00152 copy.jpgThe alpacas were interested but 'Dom' didn't stop eating.
DSC00158 copy.jpgNow at the cemetery.

After weeks the last C5 sold in Australia has made it to Perth.
IMG_3241-1.jpg

Rod Slater is having fun attending to the rego. It must first have a road worthiness inspection - not normally required in WA. Booked for next week.

After weeks the last C5 sold in Australia has made it to Perth.
View attachment 99800

Rod Slater is having fun attending to the rego. It must first have a road worthiness inspection - not normally required in WA. Booked for next week.
Would be nice to hear from Rod too, miss him on the Forum, so much experience and knowledge. Hope your vehicle is soon back and roaming the W.A highways rmac.

Two more steps forward today.
"Vicky" was fitted with front tyres (one spare from "Eloyse" and a scrap tyre compliments of local tyre place fitted to one of the burnt rims).
This allowed for careful tow - care needed to let the car down the hill in two places before getting it undercover.
Had Zahra furiously pushing and pulling the steering wheel to help manouvre on the trip to the hay shed.
DSC04732 copy.jpg

The second was this pic
IMG_3253.jpg
After some more drama Rod Slater has managed to get the car inspected and registered for the road. Now I have to get to Perth to pick it up.

Rmac, I just spotted this and am truly sorry for this loss and totally echo words of other great folk on this forum. It is great that you and your family were ok.
I really hope Citroen are able to contact people with these cars and rectify the problem.
The issue of insurance and warranty doesn't surprise me at all.
I am glad you got your hands on a very special replacement and that in my opinion would be a collectable. Hopefully it isn't part of the same batch that the other car was and no potential issues.
The D breaks the heart big time. I really hope it can be rescued without having to rob a bank.
Take care and I hope you get things back on track.
regards, Chris M