Tragedy

rmac

Fellow Frogger
:cry:
It is enough to make you cry.

Arrived home late yesterday after an 8km drive from town. Parked the car, took the shopping and other bits in and found the power off. Telephoned the power co. to find out that resumption of power was two hours away. Packed away the shopping and my wife lit the wood fire to warm the house as we'd been out all day. Sat down and shortly after there was a rumble. With a front passing through we thought it might be thunder. A few minutes later there was a bang! Stood up and walked towards the front door and immediately saw an orange glow through the window. Our new C5 station wagon was on fire. The front of the car, from the wheels forward was alight. While my wife went back to telephone the fire brigade I went and tried to retrieve what I could from the car.

Once off the phone Bev grabbed the camera and took a few pics. In that short time the fire had spread to the whole engine bay.
DSC4670.jpg

Within five minutes the fire was well advanced.

DSC4671.jpg

Then things got really hectic as I set to work towing the other cars out of the carport. Raced out to move the other C5 before going to the shed to get the tractor. Got to the first car and looped a rope to the tow ball and pulled it back. Removed rope and moved in to pull 'Eloyse' clear of the car port. Manouvered the tractor past the Dee and into the carport to try to save 'Vicky' the BVH DS but the front was already alight and it didn't have a tow ball to attach to.

Left tractor when fire unit arrived and by the time I got back it was super hot. The plastic on the seat cover melted into my jumper when I sat in the seat to reverse it our of the way. (today an inspection revealed the plastic front grill was damaged and the paint has peeled from the bonnet).

Eventually there were two fire trucks (one Denmark and one from Albany) as well as several light fast response units and three Bushfire units from around the district. Two heavy hoses, four lighter ones and foam were brought to play on the fire. By this stage the front section of the carport had collapsed and the fire was threatening to get under the roof and into the house. Enormous amount of heat generated and polycarbonate sheeting at opposite end of car port started to deform.

Eventually the fire under the car port that had consumed 'Vicky' was brought under control. Then the front verandah was the scene of attention as the timbers there had caught alight.

Once the fire was under control I went and grabbed my camera.

DSC0088.jpgDSC0093.jpg

In the cold hard light of day!

DSC0095.jpgDSC0097.jpg

When I called the dealer today I received an incredulous response. Told the car would need to be trucked to Perth (400+ kms) for inspection. Suggested it would be a waste of time and sent an image to support my opinion. Received an email make station that they agreed it would be pointless. Invited me to get my insurer to contact them if necessary.

How do I claim for a replacement vehicle under the les than six month old car with a six year warrantly?

Bev and Ross,

That is truly terrible! So sad about Vicky and so glad you weren't hurt and the fire didn't spread further!

Condolences and best wishes from us. :(

Heaven knows about the insurance. Good test for the new distributor in Oz perhaps. I'd argue for a replacement vehicle of course, but as you say..... Good grief.

John and Alex

So sad on many fronts. At least you still have your house.

This is sad news, glad everyone is OK.

By the sounds of it, if it wasn't for your quick actions the loss could of been far greater.

Will be interesting to find out the cause of the fire.

Hope insurance covers the replacement of the cars and damage to the house and you not out of pocket.

I know how you feel as I have lost a car to fire, so keep the chin up.

This is sad news, glad everyone is OK.

By the sounds of it, if it wasn't for your quick actions the loss could of been far greater.

Will be interesting to find out the cause of the fire.

Hope insurance covers the replacement of the cars and damage to the house and you not out of pocket.

I know how you feel as I have lost a car to fire, so keep the chin up.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

All is well insured and on an agreed value. The C5 wagon is replacement with new cover but were I twenty years younger I'd be happy to take Citroen on and demand a replacement due to the original car being unfit for purpose.

With damage beneath the roof sheets and smoke damage in three rooms we were very close to a catastrophe. Bev had been away for a month and there were times when I'd been to town, come home and parked the car and gone off on the tractor. Had the fire broke out then, with me over the hill slashing the house could have gone up before I was aware of it!

There will be extensive repainting in the house, around a quarter of the roofing needs replacing, some timber sections replaced and new insulation due to fire damage. One set of windows have been replaced today and also temporary electrical repairs done to allow us to turn the power back on.

Monday we expect the visit from a fire examiner from Perth. He will attempt to establish the cause of the fire. I don't like his chances.

Anyone know of a good DS - BVH for sale? Must be a reasonable price though!

FFAARRKK!!!

I cannot say you are lucky Ross even though it it were not for timing it could have been far worse.

I am from the "old school" and feel that there is far too much /too many "magic things" in cars now days.

Personally I believe that your vehicle insurance policy (subject that you are not in any way responsible) or Citroen Australia (or whoever party responsible for bringing Citroens into Australia is) as they would have Third Party Product Liability insurances that should cover the total damage and maybe you should not be looking for a reasonable priced replacement but the best replacement.

Very sorry just the same.

Best regards,

John

RIP Vicky.... :( If I have the right one, that is.....

Attachments

• DS21 Easter 2011.jpg
    DS21 Easter 2011.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 459
So sad on all fronts, hope all goes well with the claims and settlement. Not what any of us would want.

Keep us posted as things progress.

Ken

Ross,

I've taken the liberty to post your story onto the French clubs in order to hear from them if they know of a similar event having happened previously. All of us who own C5 are now rather worried as well.......

My mechanic told me that if i was going to loosen the bracket near the oil filter to remove it ,be very careful how it is repositioned as it can crimp the cable from the battery to the starter ,he said he had seen a car burnt to the ground with this fault ,this was in a peugeot ,im presuming same diesel engine

OMG - those pics scared the bejeezas out of me - so glad to hear that all people involved are safe.

I hope the insurance settlements are swift so that you can get on with life with an increasing level of normality quickly.

I wonder if this will see an extension of the previous recall on C5's for the starter motor short circuit fault.

Cheers

Justin

Bev. and Ross I am very sorry to hear this. Glad you both did not get hurt. It will take time to get over this loss. Herman & Elly.

Ross,
I read this last night and just didn't know how to respond. Checked again this morning hoping it was a bad dream. . .
Good to hear that you and family are safe, I can't imagine the emotions you are going through. Just have to believe things will improve, we'll keep an ear to the ground for a nice DS21bvh.

All the best
Chris

I've got already a number of replies from overseas, who are mostly tending to incriminate the regeneration process, they claim temperatures get so hot that it can ignite debris in some instances if the process is interrupted before completing. It's only their opinion at this stage of course, till we know more about it.
Keep you posted.

Ross,
We've never met but I feel I know you. I certainly feel your pain and loss. My condolences and best hopes for the outcome.
With 2 diesel C5's under the carport here and the DS close by, your story has made me decidedly nervous.

SF

:D:DOnce again, thanks for the support. Our insurance is through a farm package with Elders and they have been fantastic. The local manager and an assessor spent some time here yesterday. I'd already engaged an electrician to rectify as much of the damage to enable the power to be switched back on. Also contacted the glass mob to replace the one window shattered by the fire and we cleaned a lot of the soot coating everything off items yesterday. Now we have to pack up half the house to enable repainting, probably next week.

The assessor has been suggesting things that, with his experience, will need replacing or attention. So if things go the way they have started Elders and their associated personnel are an excellent company to deal with. So far the approach has been brilliant and not the attempt to scrimp on the job to pare back their costs. It looks like proper replacement/re-instatement will follow.

The only thing I can't replace is the new C5 and of course it will be very difficult to find another DS - BVH

Slowly sinking in that we were so lucky that the house didn't go as well. Thanks to using the WA hardwood jarrah the main section of the house was very slow to burn. Had it been pine, like the front section of the carport, it would have been a very different story.

What are my chances of Citroen Aust importing a replacement C5 diesel from their remaining stock in Europe?

Following contact with our Dutch roadside assistance crew (who travelled with us on Raid Arctique) we were assured that overall the C5 is a reliable and generally trouble free model - in the European experience. The recall of cars here didn't include ours but the observation about the regeneration process is one to follow up. Thanks for the (usual) fantastic response from the aussiefrog community.

:):D:):D

Following contact with our Dutch roadside assistance crew (who travelled with us on Raid Arctique) we were assured that overall the C5 is a reliable and generally trouble free model - in the European experience. The recall of cars here didn't include ours but the observation about the regeneration process is one to follow up. Thanks for the (usual) fantastic response from the aussiefrog community.

:):D:):D

Would the regen process have started after a short 8klm drive?

PSA did have a recall last year according to this from 'Honest John. . . did PSA Aus offer this fix here? Are our cars fitted with a fuel heater, perhaps not?

Honest John said:
PSA, parent of Peugeot and Citroen, issued a large recall in December too. The recall affects more than 9,000 Citroen DS5, C5, C4 Picasso, Dispatch III, DS4, C4 and C8 models, along with more than 12,000 Peugeot 308, 3008, RCZ, 5008, 807, 508 and Expert III models. The fuel heater on diesel variants could be defective, letting air in and fuel out of the system, resulting in a leak.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/m...-round-up-fires-fuel-leaks-and-failed-wipers/

Cheers
Chris

Hmm. Need a source of ignition too.... It surely was a spectacularly fast fire development. Lots of plastic at the front I'll grant.

Seems to me the fire wasn't in the right place for the regen. device. Still, easy to be an armchair expert.

It makes you want to go and buy a locomotive-size carbon dioxide extinguisher, doesn't it!! Our Scenic is under the bedroom.....

Ross, so good that the fire folk arrived quickly, plus that jarrah. Phew. And good the C5 wasn't where Vicky was. :eek: