Tragedy

Hmm. Need a source of ignition too.... It surely was a spectacularly fast fire development. Lots of plastic at the front I'll grant.

Seems to me the fire wasn't in the right place for the regen. device. Still, easy to be an armchair expert.

It makes you want to go and buy a locomotive-size carbon dioxide extinguisher, doesn't it!! Our Scenic is under the bedroom.....

Ross, so good that the fire folk arrived quickly, plus that jarrah. Phew. And good the C5 wasn't where Vicky was. :eek:

Would the regen process have started after a short 8klm drive?

Cheers
Chris

It seems yes Chris, my wife works only 10kms from home, still when she comes home and locks the car in the garage you can occasionally smell the characteristic odour of burnt rubber the regen process emits. I guess it may start if it decides it is long overdue, obviously the car doesn't know for how long you will be driving , may start the process and is not able to finish it...... I reckon an indicator on the dash would be welcome.

Well I HOPE the burnt rubber smell comes from there...

Terrible story but glad you're all ok.

Would the regen process have started after a short 8klm drive?

My 508 will start a regen part way into an 11km drive I do regularly. It will finish it before the end of the trip.
You can certainly feel the radiant heat from under the car when you get out in winter!
I'd say 8km would be long enough for it to start the regen (but maybe not complete it).

It seems yes Chris, my wife works only 10kms from home, still when she comes home and locks the car in the garage you can occasionally smell the characteristic odour of burnt rubber the regen process emits. I guess it may start if it decides it is long overdue, obviously the car doesn't know for how long you will be driving , may start the process and is not able to finish it...... I reckon an indicator on the dash would be welcome.

Well I HOPE the burnt rubber smell comes from there...

Terrible story but glad you're all ok.

My 508 will start a regen part way into an 11km drive I do regularly. It will finish it before the end of the trip.
You can certainly feel the radiant heat from under the car when you get out in winter!
I'd say 8km would be long enough for it to start the regen (but maybe not complete it).

Agree with the need for some form of dash indication, I can't say I've ever smelt that burnt rubber smell or had any indication ours has been through a regen? If you were aware the car was in the regen phase you might be inclined to continue driving to allow the completion of the process.

Cheers
Chris

Agree with the need for some form of dash indication, I can't say I've ever smelt that burnt rubber smell or had any indication ours has been through a regen? If you were aware the car was in the regen phase you might be inclined to continue driving to allow the completion of the process.

Cheers
Chris

I can tell from the deep throaty exhaust sound on the overrun (no throttle, rolling down a hill).
This was confirmed by the app and dongle I posted about which tells you when the regen is underway.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

All is well insured and on an agreed value. The C5 wagon is replacement with new cover but were I twenty years younger I'd be happy to take Citroen on and demand a replacement due to the original car being unfit for purpose.

With damage beneath the roof sheets and smoke damage in three rooms we were very close to a catastrophe. Bev had been away for a month and there were times when I'd been to town, come home and parked the car and gone off on the tractor. Had the fire broke out then, with me over the hill slashing the house could have gone up before I was aware of it!

There will be extensive repainting in the house, around a quarter of the roofing needs replacing, some timber sections replaced and new insulation due to fire damage. One set of windows have been replaced today and also temporary electrical repairs done to allow us to turn the power back on.

Monday we expect the visit from a fire examiner from Perth. He will attempt to establish the cause of the fire. I don't like his chances.

Anyone know of a good DS - BVH for sale? Must be a reasonable price though!
There is one stateside.
Insurance values here are astronomically high. Perhaps your's are too? A good payout may lead to a good replacement BVH.
Sorry about the loss of the C5 and the damage to the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using aussiefrogs mobile app

My wife works 8.4 kms from home and twice when she has arrived home you could smell the odour associated with the regen process. One night, there was also smoke coming from under bonnet.

Last edited:
Awful news re your cars and house, I was sitting here looking at the pics going "Oh no, oh no!".

Fortunately you have survived relatively intact.

Your chances of getting a new replacement C5 are about the same as getting a replacement DS BVH. The last RHD C5s were manufactured some time ago and I expect any hydropneumatic are long gone. Of course LHD hydropneumatic production has ceased too.

Here is the list of all Aus delivered C5X7, DS4 and DS5 sold with the known starter motor connection fault.

VIN-GBN
VF7KFAHWTFS515485
VF7KFAHWTFS516085
VF7KFAHWTFS516196
VF7KFAHWTFS516197
VF7KFAHWTFS516198
VF7KFAHWTFS516303
VF7KFAHWTFS516787
VF7KFAHWTFS517020
VF7KFAHWTFS517269
VF7KFAHWTFS517270
VF7KFAHWTFS517271
VF7KFAHWTFS517522
VF7KFAHWTFS517654
VF7KFAHWTFS517729
VF7KFAHWTFS517798
VF7KFAHWTFS517856
VF7KFAHWTFS517857
VF7KFAHWTFS517858
VF7KFAHWTFS517990
VF7KFAHWTFS517991
VF7KFAHWTFS517992
VF7KFAHWTFS517993
VF7KFAHWTFS518065
VF7KFAHWTFS518066
VF7KFAHWTFS518067
VF7KFAHWTFS518130
VF7KFAHWTFS518198
VF7KFAHWTFS518199
VF7KFAHWTFS518268
VF7KFAHWTFS518269
VF7KFAHWTFS518270
VF7KFAHWTFS518420
VF7KFAHWTFS518421
VF7KFAHWTFS518422
VF7KFAHWTFS518423
VF7KFAHWTFS518424
VF7KFAHWTFS518425
VF7KFAHWTFS518426
VF7KFAHWTFS518427
VF7KFAHWTFS521517
VF7KFAHWTFS521577
VF7KFAHWTFS521640
VF7KFAHWTFS521707
VF7KFAHWTFS521829
VF7KFAHWTFS521831
VF7KFAHWTFS521985
VF7KFAHWTFS521986
VF7KFAHWTFS521987
VF7KFAHWTFS522221
VF7NXAHWTFY574817
VF7NXAHWTFY574818
VF7NXAHWTFY574819
VF7NXAHWTFY574820
VF7NXAHWTFY574821
VF7NXAHWTFY574822
VF7NXAHWTFY575173
VF7NXAHWTFY575174
VF7NXAHWTFY575175
VF7NXAHWTFY575176
VF7NXAHWTFY575177
VF7NXAHWTFY575178
VF7NXAHWTFY575535
VF7NXAHWTFY575536
VF7NXAHWTFY575537
VF7NXAHWTFY575538
VF7NXAHWTFY575539
VF7NXAHWTFY575540
VF7NXAHWTFY575541
VF7NXAHWTFY575542
VF7NXAHWTFY575543
VF7NXAHWTFY576097
VF7NXAHWTFY576821
VF7NXAHWTFY576822
VF7NXAHWTFY576823
VF7RDAHWTGL503341
VF7RDAHWTGL503400
VF7RDAHWTGL503401
VF7RDAHWTGL503402
VF7RDAHWTGL503480
VF7RDAHWTGL503553
VF7RDAHWTGL503554
VF7RWAHWTGL503308
VF7RWAHWTGL503438
VF7RWAHWTGL503511

The link to the Aus Gov safety recall site

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/citroen-automobiles-australia-citroen-c5-x7-and-ds-range

Gee's ... we have water, not fire down this way :( Nobody was hurt in the fire, so I think you have had a win. You could have been asleep in bed :eek:

I just saw this now - my heart just sunk. I have nothing new to add but you are in my thoughts and I'm glad that you and family are intact.

Terrible circumstances, but as I'm sure that it is starting to sink in how luck you were and how much worse it could have been.

Just imagine if the C5 had been parked in the fully enclosed McMansion house garage rather than carports......

And if you were to chase down Citroen Australia on a replacement vehicle - and that seems entirely reasonable to me - there is a new wagon in Australia listed on Carpoint

2016 Citroen C5 Exclusive Auto MY16 Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

BTW a mate of mine had a garage full of motorcycles that ended up with massive fire damage.........I went out and bought an extinguisher and fire blanket but hope to NEVER need it

Regards
Jason

I'm sorry to read this thread. That's a most unfortunate event, but luckily there was no personal injury. Cars and houses can be repaired or replaced, but burns, or worse, are permanent outcomes for those involved. I know how much time and effort can go into restoring and caring for these older cars. I can offer my commiserations.

The C5 is clearly scrap. However, I wouldn't junk the DS just yet though. It certainly looks bad, but there have been a few other fire damaged cars redeemed and put back on the road with parts from Special or ID19 donors. Insurance will probably pay out and leave you with the salvaged wreck. It has certainly become very hot from the heat radiated from the burning C5, but the back end of the car didn't burn, so you may find the bones and major mechanicals are not as badly damaged as it might appear at first.

Regarding UFO's post re the starter lead recall. Not all cars listed will have a fault when checked, but there are only three C5 Tourers (wagons) on that list:
VF7RWAHWTGL503308
VF7RWAHWTGL503438
VF7RWAHWTGL503511

They are supposedly all painted Pearl White per Citroen Service. So, I do not think the burnt C5 here would be affected by that problem as far as Citroen have identified the extent of that defect.

The affected sedan C5s are the ones with RD in the VIN. The rest are DS4 or DS5 on that list. If anyone has a car on the list, take it to a dealer to have it checked and fixed if necessary.

We came to see you to give you a support hug at 11.00am (W.A. time) but you were not there. Had a look and yes you are lucky to have only little damage to the house.
We had a bit of excitement at your place the two lamas nearly escaped as Elly opened the gate.

:D:DOnce again, thanks for the support. Our insurance is through a farm package with Elders and they have been fantastic. The local manager and an assessor spent some time here yesterday. I'd already engaged an electrician to rectify as much of the damage to enable the power to be switched back on. Also contacted the glass mob to replace the one window shattered by the fire and we cleaned a lot of the soot coating everything off items yesterday. Now we have to pack up half the house to enable repainting, probably next week.

The assessor has been suggesting things that, with his experience, will need replacing or attention. So if things go the way they have started Elders and their associated personnel are an excellent company to deal with. So far the approach has been brilliant and not the attempt to scrimp on the job to pare back their costs. It looks like proper replacement/re-instatement will follow.

The only thing I can't replace is the new C5 and of course it will be very difficult to find another DS - BVH

Slowly sinking in that we were so lucky that the house didn't go as well. Thanks to using the WA hardwood jarrah the main section of the house was very slow to burn. Had it been pine, like the front section of the carport, it would have been a very different story.

What are my chances of Citroen Aust importing a replacement C5 diesel from their remaining stock in Europe?

Following contact with our Dutch roadside assistance crew (who travelled with us on Raid Arctique) we were assured that overall the C5 is a reliable and generally trouble free model - in the European experience. The recall of cars here didn't include ours but the observation about the regeneration process is one to follow up. Thanks for the (usual) fantastic response from the aussiefrog community.

:):D:):D

Terrible circumstances, but as I'm sure that it is starting to sink in how luck you were and how much worse it could have been.

Just imagine if the C5 had been parked in the fully enclosed McMansion house garage rather than carports......

And if you were to chase down Citroen Australia on a replacement vehicle - and that seems entirely reasonable to me - there is a new wagon in Australia listed on Carpoint

2016 Citroen C5 Exclusive Auto MY16 Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

BTW a mate of mine had a garage full of motorcycles that ended up with massive fire damage.........I went out and bought an extinguisher and fire blanket but hope to NEVER need it

Regards
Jason

Get onto that one like a seagull on a chip!

That is just horrendous, at least you and the missus are ok. Worst thing about fires once you've started cleaning up is the stink that is hard to get rid of. Anyone with that model C5 aware of this would have to get a fire extinguisher asap? I know I'll be getting one for my D when it is used again, been there once and it wasn't fun. Hope you find a nice D to replace it with, such a shame.

Well, it's not really good news for C5 owners but it is not all that uncommon in Europe. Mostly incriminated : Short Circuits and Regen process. Some samples below: (incendie means fire)

Incendie moteur pendant roulage - C5 - Citroën - FORUM Marques ...
Forum automobile Forum-Auto.com › FORUM Marques › Citroën › C5
Translate this page
Jun 14, 2007 - 10 posts - ‎6 authors
Bonjour, j'ai ce problème sur une C5 ph1 2.0 HDI, elle a prit feu pendant son utilisation au niveau du compartiment moteur, avez vous des infos ...
Debut d'incendie - Xsara Picasso - Citroën - FORUM ... 8 posts 30 Dec 2014
risque d'incendie pendant régénération du fap - C5 ... 1 post 8 Nov 2010
Une C5 de 2008 prend feu brusquement - C5 - Citroën ... 11 posts 6 Oct 2010
C4 picasso a pris feu - C4 Picasso - Citroën - FORUM ... 35 posts 14 Sep 2007
More results from Forum automobile Forum-Auto.com
Citroën C5 brûle sur l'autoroute A2 - YouTube
Video for incendie citroen c5▶ 0:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pqqEkCWGz4
Nov 2, 2012 - Uploaded by Arnaud ARARGAGA
Citroën C5 sortant d'une réparation de bobines défectueuses, lors d'un trajet à allure normale : - Fumée grise ...
Avis Citroën Citroën C5 2.0 HDi : " incendie spontané sur C5 HDI pack ...
Ciao ! Site d'avis produits et comparateur de prix - Annonces payantes › ... › Citroën Citroën C5 › Citroën C5 2.0 HDi
Translate this page
Jan 5, 2010 - Citroën C5 2.0 HDi. Auto Familiale - Berline - Motorisation / Carburant : Diesel. > Voir les caractéristiques. 81% positif. 32 avis de la ...
Citroen C5 risque d'incendie - Problemauto, le portail de l'expertise ...
Problemauto, le portail de l'expertise automobile et des experts en automobile indépendants › ... › Rappels constructeurs
Translate this page
Jan 15, 2014 - Citroen rappelle pour un défaut par fuite sur les injecteurs qui pourrait conduire à un incendie information par UFC ...

Really sorry to see this. As everyone has said, at least nobody was hurt. Hopefully insurance puts you right.