Tragedy

The forensic officer took away several parts. I'm not privvy to his report but from the parts removed it doesn't take a rocket scientist. One was the high pressure common rail - loose union on one of the pipes (loose as in finger tight only)
Second were bits relating to the cable from alternator to starter motor to battery. Where it passed over a steel bracket it would seem that insulation failed as there were strands of copper wire welded into the steel.

With the fire starting at the front of the engine bay it would seem to be the cable (assuming that it passes across the front of the motor)

Dealing with the matter has become almost a war of attrition. The dealer has passed me on to a different company (presumably part of the AHG group) where I'm told it is a matter between the insurance company and Citroen.

My conversations with PCA via Robert Lakeman of inchcape have also been fruitless with the same basic answer. Plenty of sympathy but NO actual assistance offered to me.

Contact with the RAC of WA proved next to useless. They are only concerned with flogging insurance or discounts to all sort of lifestyle products. No assistance available for questions of warranty etc available any more. I knew the monthly magazine had become a lifestyle rag rather than a motoring journal but apparently the whole organisation is now the same. My magazine generally finishes up in the bin as it is too much trouble to find the minority of articles that have anything to do with motoring.

Did manage to locate an old one to find it has no information on what actual services it provides for members and the website is the same. My email question was answered by the RAC Ins division requesting my claim number. My reply pointed out that my query wasn't to do with a claim and I've had no further response. After 8 minutes this morning on the phone being passed around the insurance division again I hung up. Rang again and was eventually passed to a lady whose advice was to contact the ACCC and be prepared to wait.

Telephoned the WA Consumer Affairs and found a helpful man who outlined a possible process. It concerned formally asking the dealer for the process of how to lodge a warranty claim. (he also told me to note down times, dates, people spoken to and details of the conversation)

Went back to North City Holdens assistant service manager with a formal request on how to proceed to be told to let the insurer deal with it. My objection to that is the loss of our no-claim bonus as well as the excess payments. In all we have four vehicles damaged or destroyed as well as damage to the house. So depending on how our insurers handle it we could loose no-claim bonuses on six policies as well as six excess amount to pay.

Pushing on with the subject of a replacement vehicle I have at least secured the last C5 remaining in Australia. Whilst prepared to pay for it I've been pushed aside. Once again it seems that no one wants to talk to me - mind you Bayside Citroen in Melbourne needed a dealer in Perth to handle the registration and stamp duty. It was left to me to ask a favour of a dealer in Perth that I knew. He will handle that when the car is delivered to him. I'll then have to get to Perth to pick it up.

Apart from sympathy the new importer for Citroen - Inchcape doesn't seem to be any better than Ateco or Sime Darby. I know they did have a conversation with Bayside but I've not been told what was discussed. My question to Inchcape concerning the transport of the C5 from Melbourne to Perth was dismissed with the excuse that the car was the property of the dealer and not Citroen Aust.

Where are we now? I'm waiting for the North City Holden assistant service manager to get back to me after Citroen Aust. respond to her question on how to proceed in the matter.

I suppose I'm being bloody minded but the loss of the C5 is to my mind a warranty issue. The resultant damage to the other vehicles and house may be an insurance issue.

Asking the local dealers agent (NCHolden) whether I should forget the warranty claim and just go direct to the ACCC to lodge a claim for goods not fit for purpose may have encouraged a bit more digging on their part.

As I was finishing the previous post my wife handed me a letter just in from the assessor. It advised that the 1969 DS21 BVH was formally a write-off and that the agreed value MINUS excess was to be paid to us.

So it looks like each policy will have an excess applied. :disappr:

All the more reason to pursue the matter.

Motor harness.jpgIf the common rail union leaked the drain in my previous post may have been weeping. Here is the wiring harness layout on the RHH engine:

I remeber previous discussion of the WA registration and tax system. Could the new car be first registered to an address in Victoria and later transferred?

I could be wrong but would of thought that the insurance from the C5 would cover the whole lot, seeing as that is where the problem started.

If I was you I would seek some legal advice, because from what you are saying is that the C5 had a problem and Citroen, or the importers of Citroen should be footing the bill for this.

This looks like it is going to get messy as no one wants to take responsibility. :2cents:

View attachment 99131If the common rail union leaked the drain in my previous post may have been weeping. Here is the wiring harness layout on the RHH engine:

I remeber previous discussion of the WA registration and tax system. Could the new car be first registered to an address in Victoria and later transferred?

It has become next to impossible to register a vehicle in any state other than the one in which you live. In 2011 I had to depend on the good will of donat to register the CX Familiale so that I could drive it back to WA.

The dealer suggested registering it in my name but then found they required a Vic drivers lic plus a local address - and they ask for actual proof of residence.

Bayside were prepared to ship it to Albany but then I'd have had to obtain a temporary movement order, have the vehicle inspected (for around $100) before it could be registered. Not living in Albany meant everything would need to line up to get it done easily. There was also an unanswered question over I as an individual could make the payment of sales tax for a new vehicle. Our local reg office said they'd not ever done one!

I could be wrong but would of thought that the insurance from the C5 would cover the whole lot, seeing as that is where the problem started.

If I was you I would seek some legal advice, because from what you are saying is that the C5 had a problem and Citroen, or the importers of Citroen should be footing the bill for this.

This looks like it is going to get messy as no one wants to take responsibility. :2cents:

It is a case of being told to "Trust" that Elders and Citroen have my best interests at heart. Do I trust them?
:confused::confused::confused:

You may also find there is a premium adjustment where the claim results in a total loss. That is what happens if a policy ends and it can be a nasty sting in the tail where the claim comes just into an annual renewal policy.

If your policy provides for a replacement car within the first year (or whatever period) of ownership, as quite a few do, then the insurer may well cover taxes and transport costs. You'd want to re-read the policy document again and see what sort of policy you bought. Also, some policies will include protection of your no-claims bonus. This is certainly the case with my Shannons car policies.

Although it is a total loss, the DS is probably worth buying at salvage value, which will be a pittance. With some policies, the salvage vests in you at no cost. That would be detailed in the policy schedule.

There may also be some useful comments on dealing with the insurer in this thread:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/froggy-chat/126746-hail-damaged-c5-potential-write-off.html
Towards the end, there are some very pertinent comments from a member who has been involved in the automotive insurance and underwriting industry.

It is a case of being told to "Trust" that Elders and Citroen have my best interests at heart. Do I trust them?
:confused::confused::confused:

Trust them? In the immortal words, "pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells".

What a complex bugger of a situation. I think the right legal advice is needed to try and avoid going too far down the wrong path, or at least the path least likely to succeed in a reasonable time. I certainly wouldn't know, although I do agree your logic.

I'd start with a new shed after the house is fixed (hope that damage isn't worse than you thought). :)

It may be necessary to lodge a claim under more than one policy, depending on which risk each covered. Then the different insurers might argue among themselves as to who wears the liability. It may well be the insurer of the C5 that ends up paying the lot, or they may seek to claim from another party depending on what has actually happened. One of the benefits of having comprehensive insurance on a car is that the insurer pays up and then it is up to them to chase the party at fault and see if they can recover. With 3rd party cover, it's up to you to chase another party causing loss to you and that may not be easy. The extra for comprehensive cover might well be a very small sum compared with the costs of you having to recover from another party yourself. It's really only when you make a claim that you find out whether the premium was money well spent.

+1

rmac

Also check the small print on your insurance policies, some have a time limitation to notify the Insurer and if you don't notify with in the time frame (4 weeks?) they wipe you.

I would assume you would have grounds to claim the excess/s from Citroen? or whoever is responsible.

Ross,

As previuosly advised, make the claim on your C5 policy for all damages you have/will incur assuming you have full comprehensive that includes property damage but make sure/check that it does not excludes the "insurer's property" that is, your property other than the C5.

In addition to your "C5 insurance policy", your house property insurance must be notified/advised of your damages and that you will be seeking cover from them.

In addition to your "insurance policies" I would be putting Citroen Australia and the importer on notice.

Regretfully it should be done via solicitors in order that you are treated with respect.

Regard,

John

PS: I concur that you negotiate to buy back the burned out D.

PPS: All insurers require the insured party to allow subrogation. That is, the insurer has the right to seek damages from another (the) party responsible for the damages that the insurer pays out.

In your case, I believe it is the Importer if not Citroen Australia . These 2 would not operate in this country without "Product Liability" insurance.

You should not be disadvantage / penalized for something that you are not responsible.

A payout for the C5 by the insurer under that C5 policy, I'm pretty sure would rescind any further liability by the insurer for your new C5 and you would be up for a new premium. All depends on policy wording.

Hence, the need to push your insurer(s) that you should not be out of pocket at all - no deductables and no new policy or excess the following year. It is their responsibility to seek damages under the subrogation provisons of your policy.

Multiple issues amongst insurers can be messy.

Do you have an "insurance broker"? He too should be involved.

Last edited:
I have already asked about the DS and it will remain with me. Started to think about what to do with it and spoke to our local guru late this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to take a series of detailed photographs for him. Will proceed from there. I'm not sure if I really want to undertake such a mammoth task though. Time will tell.

Ross, I'd reckon the advice from many for you to secure it, is as a "Parts Car" not necessarily to restore it; notwithstanding that it is all subject to the inspection of the local Guru.

Regards,

John

I have already asked about the DS and it will remain with me. Started to think about what to do with it and spoke to our local guru late this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to take a series of detailed photographs for him. Will proceed from there. I'm not sure if I really want to undertake such a mammoth task though. Time will tell.

Big job! I guess at least you'd know what you had at the end of it. I'd chat with skp too.

Phew...

Wouldn't the Third Party cover of your Comprehensive Insurance, cover the subsequent losses resulting from the one 'accident'?.
If it's an option, then I guess it will be the least preferred one, from the insurance company's point of view.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

You must be quite traumatized by the whole thing, devasting images. Chin up! It would be a masive labour of love to rebuild, plus the cost, doable but then again would you want to go there after what you've experienced recently? I wouldn't, buy another and strip that one down and keep/sell parts would be my two bobs worh. The dash looks like the biggest headache. Hope you're all ok,
All the best Steven,
hope the claim business is met to your satisfaction, don't let them grind you down!

Spent some time last night gathering prices for replacement parts - mainly the interior but soon racked up 5017euros = $7,508 worth of gear.

Problem is the insurance payout won't stretch far enough at that rate. Not by the time stripping and repainting the car is done. May have to brush up on my spray painting skills.

Warning to everyone - make sure you include your labour (at a commercial rate) in placing a value on any car you restore. I was far too conservative and it now cramps my options.