Tragedy

Ross, can you tell us the engine configuration of your car ? - or any one who knows Ross's car - the guys in the french club would like to know and see if they can help with a reason for the fire.
Thanks

It was one of the batch of 62 cars/wagons brought in last year (after the Finale) Not one of the 10 Euro 6 cars but a Euro 5 engine.
Engine No.

PSARHH10DYZD4082035

The RHH motor (DW10C) has been known to leak oil (usually slowly) from the turbo.

turbo.jpg

It was one of the batch of 62 cars/wagons brought in last year (after the Finale) Not one of the 10 Euro 6 cars but a Euro 5 engine.
Engine No.

PSARHH10DYZD4082035

HDI 163 then, I've passed info on.

Rmac,

Thanks for posting, incredible to see the pictures, how quickly and all consuming the fire became. If there is a bright side, it looks like it could easily have been much worse. A good reminder to check and make sure everyone has adequate, up to date insurance, it's hard to imagine such a disaster. Happy to read ultimately this will all be recoverable in time. Perhaps the BVH is rebuildable with a suitable auto or manual donor car. There maybe a DS23 efi auto here that would make a good donor. If you are interested email for info
michael@hbtagency.com.au

I only just found out about your tragic loss and hope you don't have too many hassles with the insurance and finding replacement vehicles.
I can partly understand how you must feel as many years ago I lost possibly the best Peugeot 403 in the state when my garage went up in flames. (thanks to a neighbor!) I certainly would be in tears if I lost my DS21BVH in similar circumstances.

Don

Here are some opinions about the possible causes from the French Clubs - Google translations :

"-A shortcircuit is possible, a rodent fond of insulating sheath can be the cause, since now these famous sheaths are no longer plastic but corn starch for ecological reasons.
My brother in law works at PSA and has seen many cases of gnats of sheaths by rodents ..."

"- The photo shows that the fire is much more violent towards the hood of the c5, the cockpit is still very inflamed, the rear is not at all and nothing under the vehicle so the fap Is not the culprit.

It is almost certain that the fire started on the engine compartment, the thesis of the short circuit is to favor."

"-I always ask myself questions during regeneration FAP.
It always smells hot when it is not finished and you get the car in the garage.

It can be the enormous heat generated during regeneration of the FAP. In such cases, conditions such as dry grass or dead leaves are sufficient to serve as fuel."

Opinions only of course at this stage

On the topic of insurance, it's worth remembering that Shannons does a great deal ie:
DS23IE (in my signature) full comprehensive, $24000 agreed value, keep the damaged shell, premium for 12 months: $210 !
Surely that can't be bettered?

What a story, Ross, wow so lucky nobody was hurt. I guess this could happen to anyone, with any type of car. This is why we all have insurance.
So sad to see the Ds go up as well.
Yes, it could have been far worse. Good luck with the claims and recovery process.
Cheers, George 1/8th.
2004 series 1 , C5, V6 petrol.

rmac asked the kms at which I noticed an oil weep from the turbo pipes- my car, <20,000. My son's car, probably >50,000. We both just clean them. There isn't enough to class as losing oil.

If you look at the original photo, the car is definitely burning from the front. It looks as though some leaves on the drive are burning. A bang was mentioned. I have trouble seeing this as a fap regen fire, unless the car was first parked over the leaves. What was the bang? Diesel is hard to ignite, but rubber and felt aren't. It doesn't look like fuel or oil burning on the exhaust either, but that has to be considered.

It is heartening to report that :banana:Joel McKenzie:banana: of Bayside Citroen at Cheltenham in Melbourne has been the most helpful person in this whole saga so far. Most people are very diplomatic and non-commital - do they have lawyers whispering in their ears? - so say very little. Even though Bayside didn't sell me the car, and I've never met Joel he has gone out of his way to help. :D

Thanks Joel

rmac asked the kms at which I noticed an oil weep from the turbo pipes- my car, <20,000. My son's car, probably >50,000. We both just clean them. There isn't enough to class as losing oil.

If you look at the original photo, the car is definitely burning from the front. It looks as though some leaves on the drive are burning. A bang was mentioned. I have trouble seeing this as a fap regen fire, unless the car was first parked over the leaves. What was the bang? Diesel is hard to ignite, but rubber and felt aren't. It doesn't look like fuel or oil burning on the exhaust either, but that has to be considered.

Our car had considerably less on the clock - only 10% of your mileage. The leaves were washed around by the hoses and falling from the adjacent tress burnt by the flames so they played no part in the fire. They were collateral damage.

I notice Bayside has a new Exclusive, and it's a wagon. That's a real rarity, so I hope it works out for you.
Big Plus for Joel.

Following the visit from the forensic fire inspector and the items he asked for permission to remove I do have some idea of the probable cause of the fire.

My opinion, and it is just that from what I saw, is that rats definitely played no part in the destruction. Rather it appeared to be the unfortunate convergence of two seemingly unrelated problems. One associated with the high pressure fuel rail and the other with the battery lead.

Anyone with a C5 who was feeling nervous can simply check those two items - fully check them in their entirety. Once I'm able to do so I will post photographs of the offending items.

Thanks for the tip; I'll have a look.

The HP rail is fully enclosed for safety, but the area has a drain, which isn't far from where the exhaust manifold feeds the EGR port. I wonder.....
Screenshot-2.jpg

For the RHH C5s reading. I checked my own car, and the drain is not weeping or leaking. Neither is the common rail.

The drain is hard to spot. It is rubber, just in front of the passenger's side lifting ring, and under the steel HP pipe from the pump. A leak there would run down the head, past the manifold, towards the starter. It terminates over the undertray at the front.

To check the rail and injector unions you'll need to remove the screws for the cover - 8mm socket.

Looked at where I was parked for seven hours on Thursday prior to going home. No sign of any leakage or spills.

Hmm. Electrical fire, due to some short circuit or other, and enough fuel around as an accelerant?? I'd have thought any modern car has plenty of plastic to accelerate the slightest burn! Not arguing, by any means, but it does sound a bit like a loom fire that could be accelerated.

I imagine your photos have spread over a wide circle, not just inside Aussiefrogs. I was with skp yesterday and today doing a few things on the CX and we discussed it of course.

Offline this week whilst moving house, nbn got connected only today.

So, Ross, any closer to finding the origin of the fire?