Tool Talk

10mm square nut spanner for undoing gear box drain plugs.

I want/need one, but dont know where to get it from.

Any suggestions?????

Jo

PS I'm not talking about a flair nut spanner, i mean a full box 10mm square

Something like this ??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10mm-Square-...otive_Tools&hash=item3a5f5d1dfd#ht_1706wt_907

There about the only fasteners I use a shifter on :)

EDIT: hang on, postage is ludicrous on that one, try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laser-Drain-...s_Equipment&hash=item2a064e3e25#ht_1731wt_907

seeya,
Shane L.

Something like this ??

There about the only fasteners I use a shifter on :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Nup, I want a spanner.:cry:

Shane, I think you under estimate how tough they can be to remove sometimes.
You cant use a shifter. You cant use vice grips or an open ended spanner or a regular cut flair nut spanner. There is a star socket that might fit but the set was $78 and I wasn't going to buy another row of sockets on the 'maybe' chance.

I ended up buying the king of bodgy tools.
attachment.php

Dont worry, I didn't use this on the sump. I stopped doing that in my teens.:D
I stuck a 5/8 socket extension on the wrong way, and used this tool on the other end of the extension.
I now have a 'sacrificial' socket extension after the vice spanner tool cut 5 beatifuly neat incisions in the
extension. I hate to think what it would have done to the sump plug If you gave it a go.
My plugs are undamaged as is my gearbox.:approve:

The subject of load levelers has come up lately in conversation, and I thought theyt sounded like a realy good idea until I used one.

What made it even more fun was Barry wastn't looking over this engine crane and it was self dropping so by the time I'd done 25 rotations on the leveler, I'd lost the moment as the crane dropped.:rolleyes:

That is one tool I will not be wasting my money on and will continue to my $10 version that doubles as a dog lead, a clarinet ligature,lawn mower starter and probably 20,000 other uses on the farm.
attachment.php

Its just a stainless steel (smooth) shackle or two and a length of 3mm (imitation) spectra.
Spectra is uber high quality sailing rope and has no stretch and has super strength. 3mm 190kg braking strain.
Dont laugh but this bit of string I'm running would probably take about 1000kg static weight.

Having no stretch ensures it runs smooth next to its lower or faster neighbour without overly binding up.
You want some bind or else its dangerous, but just enough to have you stop it with mild finger pressure on the 'block'.

Jo

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 923
  • load level.jpg
    load level.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,054
G'day Jo,

Any suggestions?????

Jo

bit of 1"x¼" bar, easy peasy....

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• GeaboxPlugSpanner.jpg
    GeaboxPlugSpanner.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 399
That would do me fine, Bob.
How do I go about cutting a square hole???

All my drill bits are round.

Jo

Jo

He's probably got a miniture milling machine next to the lathe in his workshop :) I've never been good at trying to file squares ... or holes either.

seeya,
Shane L.

G'day Jo,

Jo

use your round one and a square file, about five minutes each end. Keep testing the weapon on a nice unmangled plug so that you get it right. Round the outside off on the bench grinder - Shane has one that will do a stack of 10 of these in one go :)

Note that the holes are offset 45 degrees to each other. Once its all done put a little kink in each end like a ringy is, just a few tiny degrees, makes life easier with the level plug.

Spanner is about 12" long.

Nope Shane, no CNC miller here, Taig do a nice mini mill though.....

cheers,
Bob

G'day Jo,

use your round one and a square file, about five minutes each end. Keep testing the weapon on a nice unmangled plug so that you get it right. Round the outside off on the bench grinder - Shane has one that will do a stack of 10 of these in one go :)

Note that the holes are offset 45 degrees to each other. Once its all done put a little kink in each end like a ringy is, just a few tiny degrees, makes life easier with the level plug.

Spanner is about 12" long.

Nope Shane, no CNC miller here, Taig do a nice mini mill though.....

cheers,
Bob

This would be easier ..... But look at the price :eek: ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ATLAS-CRAFTS...ultDomain_0&hash=item25630c2820#ht_2694wt_907

It's only really a toy, but would bolt straight onto the lathe here.

seeya,
Shane L.

Any suggestions????

Jo

Jo,
Fortunately us old lags know what you need. It's a "star" socket.* Should be available as an individual tool. Mr Snap-On or similar.
I hope your drain/fill plugs haven't been butchered by those who've gone before?:mad:

Early model Renault owners will recall the Renault double ended tool** for the job.

*mentioned here in prev posts.
** this tool perfect for Pug drum brake adjustment.

Could not help myself today.
Walked into aldi and came out with a new compressor for $100 and a pair of air sheers for about $20.

The hope is to run this one in parralell with the existing one that is probably getting a bit tired, seeing as i never serviced it 5 years ago (nor since), when i saw the price of new ones.

one hour later....

Works a treat.'
My shed is all plumbed for air, so I just plugged it into a seldom used air outlet, and it seems to all work Ok extra to the main compressor.
Both are on seperate power switches so I can chose to run either or both, depending if I want the sound of serenity from the remote compressor or the sound of disaster with the new one.

The main compressor air pressure switch is 80-120, the new cheapy goes 81-110, and so far, the extra 10 psi fed back to unit has not caused any obvious problems. If it does, I'll wind the master on the shed back to 109 psi.
There is about 0.5 seconds difference between start times when evacuating the air quickly which is a bit close, but not enough to throw the safety switch at the fuse box.
I have a passive tank plugged in to the system too, so there is no shortage of volume now.
One a threshold is reached where it kicks in, it works for a little time longer filling the the tank of the two parasitic tanks.
One thing that is a certainty, this little compressor would make a certain fire risk if it was remote mounted and not vetilated with extra fan cooling. For a working compressor, it gets very very hot, which is why i'm running it the work area so I can keep an eye on it.

Jo

Last edited:
G'day Shane,

that's what you get when you buy a "brute", My tiny Taig uses this one:

http://taig.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_15&products_id=63

much cheaper, and it's here in Oz. :)

Course, to make square holes though you need a broach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broaching_(metalworking)

that is brute force....

cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I found a lathe that would look really good in your workshop parked next to the minuture .... You would have one from each end of the size spectrum :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Macson-6-met...ltDomain_15&hash=item19c4d311b8#ht_500wt_1156

seeya,
Shane L.

G'day Jo,

............For a working compressor, it gets very very hot,......

You'll save a power of money on heating in the winter :)

$20 for shears, have to go down and check that one out over the weekend - 'spose we all have the same promos.

Doozy of a lathe Shane, centre height would be a short on though compared to the one they had for doing the wheels at Newport Workshops !

cheers,
Bob

G'day Jo,

You'll save a power of money on heating in the winter :)

$20 for shears, have to go down and check that one out over the weekend - 'spose we all have the same promos.

Doozy of a lathe Shane, centre height would be a short on though compared to the one they had for doing the wheels at Newport Workshops !

cheers,
Bob

1meter swing should spin most wheels :roflmao:

Could not help myself today.
Walked into aldi and came out with a new compressor for $100 and a pair of air sheers for about $20.

The hope is to run this one in parralell with the existing one that is probably getting a bit tired, seeing as i never serviced it 5 years ago (nor since), when i saw the price of new ones.

The family winemaker in Mornington has a big airbag grape press in the winery. Being too cheap to install 3 phase power, he daisy-chained 3 of these cheap compressors from Supacheap. Works a treat. He probably buys 3 new ones every vintage, just to be safe, but, then again, probably not. He's a farmer through and through. Everything gets fixed with wire, duct tape, and roofing screws (next door neighbour is a roofer, and they barter labour etc).

Tim

Not So

He's a farmer through and through. Everything gets fixed with wire, duct tape, and roofing screws Tim

I could take umbrage at that remark (but I won't). Nothing around here gets a temporay fix, unless it's an emergency and has to be going. Equipment need to be reliable so it gets fixed properly.
cheers Pete

I could take umbrage at that remark (but I won't). Nothing around here gets a temporay fix, unless it's an emergency and has to be going. Equipment need to be reliable so it gets fixed properly.
cheers Pete

You must be a better organised farmer than me, Pete. I find that so much needs fixing that if I fixed everything properly nothing would be working. So I prioritise the repairs: some things receive a proper repair or rebuild; others receive fencing wire; some might receive a temporary replacement with something cheap and nasty; occasionally some receive only hayband! Having a day job doesn't help, as it limits the time I spend on the farm.

I agree with your umbrage comment, though. Stereotyping farmers is no different from stereotyping anyone else.

Roger

I agree with your umbrage comment, though. Stereotyping farmers is no different from stereotyping anyone else.

Fiddlesticks! Stereotyping is one of the last of the great blood sports. Let's do you, for example - oh, you're a Citroen owner! Too much like shooting fish in a barrel, unfortunately.

Tim

Fiddlesticks! Stereotyping is one of the last of the great blood sports. Let's do you, for example - oh, you're a Citroen owner! Too much like shooting fish in a barrel, unfortunately.

Tim

Ah Tim, you are a typical Queenslander, way behind the rest of the country in political correctness.

(Why does my spell check want to make that queen slander ?)

you're a Citroen owner! Too much like shooting fish in a barrel

One thing that would make it easy is that I don't put on a special persona here. What would make it rather difficult is that Citroen ownership is only one of my many interests, and it is by no means the most important. The fish are small and few, and the barrel large and lined with mirrors. Beware, lest the bullet ricochet and harm the hunter rather than the hunted.

Roger