Tool Talk

One thing that would make it easy is that I don't put on a special persona here. What would make it rather difficult is that Citroen ownership is only one of my many interests, and it is by no means the most important. The fish are small and few, and the barrel large and lined with mirrors. Beware, lest the bullet ricochet and harm the hunter rather than the hunted.

Roger

I guess Tim is in good company- This is not one of my "most viewed sites" - but it seems to define the Queensland stereo type quite well. Found by a quick google.

http://railbastard.freeforums.org/in-which-i-stereotype-queenslanders-t807.html

:roflmao:

What a score ..... Look what I picked up today ...

Ang has been "reminding' me all week the vouchers we received for the transfer station were about to expire ...... So I loaded up the small amount of rubbish I could find (no all the metal stuff isn't rubbish ... that can go to scrap metal at some point).

Look what was beside the car as I loaded up .... It obviously hadn't been wheeled over to the scrap metal bin (or more likely out to there expensive "tip shop" yet .....

I asked the guy unloading beside me if he was chucking it out ... 'It was just left here, I was going to throw it on, but my wife would kill me if I took it home"...... "SSSSsssshhhh, my wife will hear you, she's sitting in the car just there :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: "

Hmmmm, started to wheel it over to my trailer .... damn it's really heavy, so I dropped the tailgate and pulled it up the ramp... Ang spotted me loading it " That's bigger than what we dropped off :nownow: :roflmao: "

attachment.php

What a bloody ripper .... direct drive, proper oil lubricated compressor ... I bet it's made in america not china.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I plugged it in thinking "I bet the safety switch just pops straight out :rolleyes: ". I'll be damned if it didn't fire up, blow heaps of dust everywhere (it's obviously been sitting in a shed for many years un-used) .... The quickly and quietly (for a direct drive compressor.... The chinesse ones I've heard rattle like bloody crazy ... by fathers rattles about twice as loud as it nears cuttoff pressure). then cycle off :confused: .... WTF ??? Why has this been chucked out ?? It has been knocked over breaking the intake filter, a fin off the compressor at some point.... Other than that it seems to work perfectly :confused: ... So I bleed off some air until it cycled back on ................... AAAaaahh, there's the problem it struggles to start or won't start under full load (pressure). So it'll probably just need a start/run cap :dance:

I'll use this to run the air fed mask and parallel it with my compressor for the sand blaster to try and get more airflow.

attachment.php

Look how little it is compared to a normal compressor, I'll be able to fill it up and wheel it around the yard to fill car & trailer tyres etc.. (the other ones to bloody hard to move around).

Just need to find an intake filter and start capacitor no doubt ... I'll even shout it an oil change :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1050609.JPG
    P1050609.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,230
  • P1050610.JPG
    P1050610.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,141
  • P1050611.JPG
    P1050611.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,138
  • P1050613.JPG
    P1050613.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,158
Hang on ... Do these compressors have unloader/one way valves ?? I bet it's stuck, so the compressor is trying to start against full load ??

seeya,
Shane L.

Hang on ... Do these compressors have unloader/one way valves ?? I bet it's stuck, so the compressor is trying to start against full load ??

seeya,
Shane L.

Yes, it's usually built into the pressure switch. I may a a unit here off the compressor I tossed out.

Thanks Rob,

I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what it is ... Possibly i can just free it up.

seeya,
Shane L.

What's the betting there is a piece of teflon thread seal tape stuck in the one way valve?

Yep, I found a one way valve in the line from the compressor -> receiver. It was stuck, but still shiny and clean, it had obviously wedged in it's bore at some point, so I pulled it apart and ran a needle file over it to knock any burrs off the bore and re-assembled (total time to fix ... 5minutes).

What a bloody ripper !!! :dance: It works perfectly now. I changed the oil and it looked nice and clean... By god it took some oil though. That tiny little sump must have taken 500ml .... the big clisby pump on the other compressor probably only holds 150ml in comparison :eek: ... The was heaps of water in the receiver which is good, as I watched it all drain, checked the line and one way valve.... and there is no sign of oil misting anywhere. ie: the compressor itself isn't internally leaking oil into the receiver (or blowing oil into your air-lines which will contaminate for example if you try painting with it).

seeya,
Shane L.

It's been driving me insane the last couple of weeks... .my brothers been pulling boats and boat trailer apart here ... and I don't have a bloody single tool that fits anything .... bloody A/F junk :(

attachment.php

I spotted this at the sunday market .... hmmm..... For $15bucks it probably worth it, even if they turn out to be junk quality.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Roger tells me Dufor is Aussie made.... It appears to be nearly all there. There is nearly 50 A/F sockets there (a smattering of sidchrome sockets there too). Hopefully I'll never use them (except on the bloody lawn mowers that for some reason aren't metric).

attachment.php

Someone advertised this on a facebook website here for $5.00 .... it looks basically un-used and brand new. Imagine my surprise when I found there $110.00 at the local BOC store :eek: That'll be very handy for when I'm sanding/wire brushing/stripping with power tools.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1060027.jpg
    P1060027.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • P1060028.JPG
    P1060028.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • P1060029.JPG
    P1060029.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 956
  • P1060031.JPG
    P1060031.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 956
Super crap auto are having a tool sale so I finally picked up a set of (sidchrome) fixed ratchet spanners, discounted by $90.

The kit I got, unlike almost every other kit I've seen was 10-19mm with no missing ones like 16mm.
16mm is one of my most used sizes so any kit that excludes it is not going to find its way into my shed. :nownow:

Totaly nothing to do with this purchase a mate phones me to help him with his alternator removal.
Sounds simple so I bring along my new spanner kit just to try them out.

Bloody MAZDA/FORD.:crazy:
WHo ever the profoundly retarded designer responsible for the escape was needs a boot in the head, and this is the best bit....you need 4 sets of spanners/sockets to undo the 6 bolts, but thats not including the drive shaft you need to remove from the gearbox.:crazy:
I ended up using(with no substitutions possible) offset ring, flat ring, ratchet ring spanners and deep socket.
Talk about french cars being hard to work on, this mazda was 10/10 stupid difficult and loosing the gearbox oil was not at all what i expected in an alternator removal.
Now I can see why the mechanic quote was $1k +parts.

Jo

Dufor. Duly & Hansford.
These and Sidchrome were the only quality tools about when I started working.

Shayne,
Socket set uni joints have come a long way since those double jointed things.

Last edited:
Socket set uni joints have come a long way since those double jointed things.

On my wish list is a set of wobble end extension bars which make the uni redundant in most cases.

Jo

I'd like to get some of those "twisted wire" looking extension bars ...... Oneday .... there is only so much money you can spend on tools that'll get used once every blue moon right :clown:

seeya,
Shane L.

You can get wobble extension bars that lock straight if you push them all the way home. I have some in 1/4" and 3/8". They are Eurotech brand, presumably made somewhere in Asia, but they are well finished, feel good and work well. The really short ones are very handy, as they are more compact than a uni joint and fit in small places. Of course, if you really need to get into tiny spaces, a 1/4" drive socket with a built in uni joint goes where no other tool can go.

Those twisted wire extensions are handy, but not as handy as wobble-locking extensions. I have one in 1/4" drive. Because they are just a wire coil, you can only tighten things with them. If you try to loosen things they unwind. I have looked for one wound the other way, with no success.

Roger

Fiddlesticks! Stereotyping is one of the last of the great blood sports. Let's do you, for example - oh, you're a Citroen owner! Too much like shooting fish in a barrel, unfortunately.

Tim

Steroetypes generally exist because for the most part, there's a fair bit of truth in them...... ;)

My training really counsells me against stereotyping, but it's generally very accurate..... :roflmao:

Nice Cheap Garage clothing........

Difficult to find a place to put this, so I'll put it where all the other garage toys get posted.....

Nomex Overalls, very cheap:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370539239010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

US Army combat crew overalls. I ordered a set & they came yesterday. I'm going to use them when welding, etc.

Very good quality, excellent fit, light-weight, very versatile with all the different pockets, etc. No loose parts - cuffs are elastic, with zips, etc. And at the price, even delivered their about the same as a set of king-gees!

Once little feature not described in the add is a built in webbing harness that is stiched in under the sleeves, and culminates in a loose handle inside the collar - seems to be for a rescuer to grab in order to drag someone out of harm......!

Took a bit but finally worked it out!!

Steroetypes generally exist because for the most part, there's a fair bit of truth in them...... ;)

My training really counsells me against stereotyping, but it's generally very accurate..... :roflmao:

Thought this comment was a new way of bumping a non controversial thread, had to trawl back one page to undertstand the context.:headbang:

Love good tools, but as I grow older find that reasonably decent lesser quality tool fulfil my lifetime ambitions and proud to have been bought up in the farmer tradition of using fencing wire for those traditional temporary/permanent fixes.

Any tool is o.k. if it does the job you want it to do, or is adaptable to your needs IMHO and that goes for stereotyped tools too:D

Keep the tool talk coming!!:)

Ken

this has no doubt been covered here previously but i have been doing some amateur cabinet making this morning (among other things...) and using the Robertson screwdriver and some screws, which i bought online from Timbercon in melbourne.

they are so superior to the alternatives, i am baffled why philips and slotted screws even exist.

i thoroughly recommend purchasing a starter kit with a range of screws and a driver.

this has no doubt been covered here previously but i have been doing some amateur cabinet making this morning (among other things...) and using the Robertson screwdriver and some screws, which i bought online from Timbercon in melbourne.

they are so superior to the alternatives, i am baffled why philips and slotted screws even exist.

i thoroughly recommend purchasing a starter kit with a range of screws and a driver.

I went to Bunnings yesterday and noticed that many of the timber fasteners are going to the Robinson drive. Ie female square on the screw and male square on the driver.

I decided not to use them because I'm currently set up with both power driver and hand pozidrive and phillips drive drive system.

The last think I need is another drive system, set of tools and boxes of screws.

I suspect it is quality of the screws/ drivers that make your kit better than others. Robinson system has been around for a long time, simply not popular in Australia.