Tool Talk

Wow ... that Rob has listed sounds ok.... Made in Tiawan doesn't mean junk either. Your at $7,000 before you even buy the tooling though :eek:

Rob your welcome to try the lathe here... When I have time (and when it's been paid for :rolleyes: ) I'll need to go over it and adjust wear out of where ever possible. There is so much to learn, gee it turns so if you lock the back gearing in!

I'm sure you could pick up a good 2nd hand lathe with all the tooling and acceptable wear for a couple of thousand :confused: (rather than $7,000 as the starting point ?).

seeya,
Shane L.

It's so much a new machine, but something of that ilk would be dream. I just don't have the space nor justification realistically.

I would love to visit your workshop, Shane, I would like to see your setup. I also admire you determination and go-do-it attitude.

Both get harder to maintain as you get older - I guess the stresses of children and business "steal" these from you. In my case there is fair degree of "earned" retirement laziness thrown in as well!

G'day,

the pics I posted are one blokes effort to overcome a problem he had. It doesn't matter what size lather you get it will, one day, be too small for something you want to do.

Personally, I would be happy with one of the Asian pencil sharpeners: https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=L194
or this one: https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=L157 which has just so much more potential than the "cheaper" one, which is not so cheap when you option it to the same "trim level" as the second one, they are within a few dollars of being the same...... You wonder how they manage to sell the first one. Even smaller than these would suit my immediate requirements - but I haven't come across anything that impressed yet.

The bigger one again that Rob posted is a top machine, I know a bloke in a small engineering business with a similar animal and he swears by it.

cheers,
Bob

Oh gee's,

I hope I paid enough for Rogers lathe... Look at the cost of just the chucks on that website :eek: It looks like the chucks the lathe came with are worth more than I've paid for the lathe :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

Bunnings are currently selling two sets of Craftsman spanners at the moment (which is unusual in itself).

They have a set of 4 open ended ratcheting spanners (8-10mm, 13-14mm, 15-16mm, 17-19mm). Anyway, the set was $34.95 so I bought them for amusement value. It's a shame there's no 11mm one, so you can use it on a Citroën, but there you go.

The best way to describe them is with a picture:

ratchetingopenend.gif

They also had this set of elbow 7 ratcheting spanners (10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 mm) - which at $130 stayed on the shelf:

If you push on the black pivot, the pivoting head locks in position, otherwise it is free to move in to any position.

Both sets were only available in metric.

Oh gee's,

I hope I paid enough for Rogers lathe... Look at the cost of just the chucks on that website :eek: It looks like the chucks the lathe came with are worth more than I've paid for the lathe :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

Whaddya mean you paid? You haven't paid a bean yet.

Seriously, I charged you what I paid for it. It is pretty worn. Yes, the chucks are good. And you have been pretty good to me over the years. When you come down to check out that Solo brushcutter you will be able to check out the lathe I am keeping.

Roger

Whaddya mean you paid? You haven't paid a bean yet.

Seriously, I charged you what I paid for it. It is pretty worn. Yes, the chucks are good. And you have been pretty good to me over the years. When you come down to check out that Solo brushcutter you will be able to check out the lathe I am keeping.

Roger

Sounds good, I'll give you a call when your down at the farm.

This is what I mean by to big... My father bought this thing about 20years ago. We have probably used it for only a few hours in that time. It looked almost unused when we got it, it was ex-council, but obviously far to heavy to use, so they got rid of it..... Then we found it to heavy to use for any length of time. It was lent to a relative for a couple of years and came back with no cord retractor and stuffed worn out blades ( :rolleyes: ... don't lend anything out). He must have cleared 5acres of gorse with it. It even has grease nipples on the shaft.

It ended up my my shed when my parents shifted a few years ago, so i put petrol in it and it started straight up ... by god it has some compression, they must not have fitted decompression vavles back then. I did the yard with it (gee's you can make some sparks off metal fences with a toothed blade in 'em :roflmao: ) ... My old man doesn't want it back, so I guess it's mine now. Brilliant thing for clearing brush, but no good for doing around the 50trees in the yard :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1050048.jpg
    P1050048.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 492
  • P1050047.jpg
    P1050047.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 512
  • P1050046.jpg
    P1050046.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 508
  • P1050045.jpg
    P1050045.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 512
Dog is smarter than you think....

The canine obviously has more smarts than you give it credit for. Look how he's keeping well away from the business end as he realises that the teeth it possess are a touch more 'bitey' than his.
Also he saw you operate the beast and has surmised that "Best to be of good behavior or Daddy might get angry.":D

From my end of the Pond hope everyone has a great Christmas and Santa brings you all sorts of goodies, buggered if I know how he's going to fit a four poster hoist down the chimney!:cheers: Bluey504

Bondage fettish

This is the best christmas!!! I have made a connection i thought i lost.
http://boatlocker.com.au/
I like getting custom made ropes for stuff, and cant stand using crappy quality rope, as it usually ends in tears (doesn't it shane:D).

I stumbled across an old shipwright/second hand merchant who I thought had retired, but he had just moved premises.:headbang:
I found the most beatiful nylon rope in his shop.
Its nothing like the standard silver polyester crap you by at bunnings, and is a very tight spun rope, and incredibly soft to the hand.

It was originally an anchor rope, but as a trailer rope, its new task it will excel, as being tightly spun will not knot or catch on things and being nylon will slide with ease over the load and through the tie down bar and back again when I'm removing it.

The best bit is that by getting my stuff from this guy, he will terminate the ropes 'old school' way, which I absolutely love.
I'm too lazy to learn how to braid and whip lines, so I'm more than happy to buy my gear from this guy and wait an extra day for this exceptional service.
$30 well spent in my opinion.

Jo
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• whipped end.jpg
    whipped end.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 539
  • loop end.jpg
    loop end.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 565
I like getting custom made ropes for stuff, and cant stand using crappy quality rope, as it usually ends in tears (doesn't it shane:D).

I stumbled across an old shipwright/second hand merchant who I thought had retired, but he had just moved premises.:headbang:
Its nothing like the standard silver polyester crap you by at bunnings, and is a very tight spun rope, and incredibly soft to the hand.

It was originally an anchor rope, but as a trailer rope, its new task it will excel, as being tightly spun will not knot or catch on things and being nylon will slide with ease over the load and through the tie down bar and back again when I'm removing it.

The best bit is that by getting my stuff from this guy, he will terminate the ropes 'old school' way, which I absolutely love.
I'm too lazy to learn how to braid and whip lines, so I'm more than happy to buy my gear from this guy and wait an extra day for this exceptional service.

Jo
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you are lazy. Heat shrink tube with the inbuilt thermoset adhesive does a good on the ends to stop fraying and doesn't need skill to get a good result.

Jo
attachment.php

attachment.php

I wonder if he posts rope out in the mail :)

I wonder if he posts rope out in the mail :)

I was actually thinking of you when I was in the shop, as some of the big mooring ropes (50mm+)would be more than adequate for anything you might care to tie them to.
Jo

G'day Jo,

...............The best bit is that by getting my stuff from this guy, he will terminate the ropes 'old school' way, which I absolutely love.......$30......

I'm surprised mate, it only takes a few minutes to do those loops at the ends - I usually finish mine with one end looped and the other plain. Hard part is getting it started, like some other things early in the morning :D

Notice he has an abrupt ending to the looped one, nicer when the free ends are cut to different lengths so there is a tapered ending.

Should be able to dig out some directions for if you want to learn ?

cheers,
Bob

Tools

Simon,
Thanks for putting up the pictures of the Craftsman spanners.
Far better than my word picture in post 31.

Wildebeest

Last edited:
Couldn't help myself and at the urging of Mrs 'beest I bought a set of $36 Craftsman spanners from Bunnos. See Simon's post*44.
As I was going through the check-out a know-all voice behind me said. "Oh they'll be useless they will just snap off".
"That's interesting says I, considering they have only just appeared on the market."

The design is not new of course, apart from the pall in the jaws they look identical to the open end spanners that were supplied with early Peugeots.

Simon, I think my spanners will also be purely for the novelty.

Last edited:
Couldn't help myself and at the urging of Mrs 'beest I bought a set of $36 Craftsman spanners from Bunnos. See Simon's post*44.
As I was going through the check-out a know-all voice behind me said. "Oh they'll be useless they will just snap off".
"That's interesting says I, considering they have only just appeared on the market."

The design is not new of course, apart from the pall in the jaws they look identical to the open end spanners that were supplied with early Peugeots.

Simon, I think my spanners will also be purely for the novelty.

I did a similar thing for 3/4 drive air ratchet, in the "surplus bin" for $12 and it looks quite good quality.

Do you think normal 3/4 drive Kinchrome sockets would be OK to use for light duty use?

I did a similar thing for 3/4 drive air ratchet, in the "surplus bin" for $12 and it looks quite good quality.

Do you think normal 3/4 drive Kinchrome sockets would be OK to use for light duty use?

Do you mean 3/8????
3/4 would be overkill for light duty.

Jo

Yes, quite correct Jo, must have vagued out. It is 3/8 SD

cheers

:D
It did make me think, gee am I flooging the crap out of my 3/8 set if I should be using a thumper tool.

Jo

Time for a tool review. I don't like battery operated tools... to slow, batteries that die... not enough grunt.... Anyway my father found a Makita cordless drill on special after he'd finished building his house ... so grabbed it (after suffering through a couple of dick smith cordless drills while building the house).

When the roof fell in down here ( :rolleyes: :roflmao: ) he bought it down to ram the screws in with .... I wasn't impressed really, to heavy and clumsy in comparison to the ancient WOLF tech gun (at least there is no cord in your way).

Well the last week or so I've been busy .... I'm NEVER returning this drill unless I have too.... It's the best thing I've used in years.

First I finally got around the throwing up the cubbyhouse for the kids....Rather than run extension leads all over the paddock I grabbed this drill out........ To screw the cross bracing on .... HUGE wood screws with 13mm heads... I put my 3/8th socket set extension bar in there and 13mm socket.... and rammed the screws home without even drilling pilot holes.... The damn thing has so much power I had to hold the drill with a second hand down on the battery to stop it tearing out of my hands :eek: ... This is bloody incredible ... How can a piddly little 12volt drill have so much grunt.

attachment.php

yes I know he door needs a need stick of wood in it ..... Hmmm.... so I moved onto the storage shed that I've been trying to get to for 3months.... Flick the drill onto it's highest gear to drill the holes.... I don't have a drill with a chuck that holds the drill bits as tight as this keyless chuck, no matter how hard I tighten the chuck... To ram new screw in ... choose the highest speed and flick it over to screw .... It'll cut a hole through the metal and the clutch will throw the drive out as soon as the screw hits home in the timber behind.

attachment.php

I always thought multiple batteries were a dumb idea "they'll all die at the same time as there the same age".... this may well be true, however with the charger i couldn't flatten the existing battery no matter how fast I tried to screw sheets down without the other battery being fully charged in the mean time. I'm hoping to finish the shed this weekend before my father finds out I'm wearing his drill out and attempts to claim ownership back from me :clown: :roflmao:

attachment.php

Look at that, all this front a piddly little 12volt cordless tool. I think my father got this at half price as they were discontinuing the 12volt model. If this is 12volts... I can only imagine what the 18volt version are like :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1050053.jpg
    P1050053.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 981
  • P1050054.jpg
    P1050054.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 902
  • P1050055.jpg
    P1050055.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 988